Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:26 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Um....... No ! Good logic but it doesn't hold up for NZ.
I know. Daft isn't it. Although I suppose it's effectively NZ's economic policy to a degree. A country of only 4m exporting as much as possible for the nation's overall benefit, to the much much larger outside world.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I know. Daft isn't it. Although I suppose it's effectively NZ's economic policy to a degree. A country of only 4m exporting as much as possible for the nation's overall benefit, to the much much larger outside world.
I agree.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I agree.
kinda the bad old Third World "cash crop" situation but nowehere near as exterme
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lardyl
kinda the bad old Third World "cash crop" situation but nowhere near as extreme
Yes. Kind of. NZ needs to export. NZ felt abandoned when the UK entered the European common market, so it had to turn it's eyes to other markets worldwide. Before that , it had a guaranteed market with the UK through the commonwealth etc.

[ no . I did not vote for the common market]
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:21 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Which is why NZ does so much trade with Pacific nations and China. I'm sure a lot of NZ's current growth is directly linked to China's.

We had our first leccy bill in a little while ago and it confirmed to me what I'd always suspected - NZ is charging waaay too much for its power.

We've had air cond and fans on almost constantly throughout the last month with night time temps of above 25 degrees, I've be awaiting the power bill with some trepidation. It was $88 plus a small community ambulance charge, whatever that is.

The unit price is 8c. and there is no standing charge for the meter. I can't see it being higher during the "winter" either, lower if anything.