Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Snowboarding this winter

Snowboarding this winter

Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snowboarding this winter

I'm after some advice, I'm wanting to go snowboarding for the first time somewhere a drive from here so probably Queenstown or Wanaka areas. I'm an ex skateboarder so I'd prefer to go snowboarding rather than skiing. I've never done it before so I don't know much about it.

What I need to know is what's the best thing to do about buying/hiring gear. Where's the best place to go and what do I do about lift passes. Will I need lessons and if so who does them. It's all got to be done on a tight budget so I'll need some cheap accommodation too.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snowboarding this winter

I hav got gear for myself through online stores. Best to get out of season, but equally you might find some treasure on Trade Me - not everything there is crappy 2nd hand stuff - at any time of year. FWIW I paid under $100 for top quality pants - 10K waterproof and well insulated, and about $200 for a Gore Tex jacket - a definite bargain.

You can hire gear but it's a bit naff - does have extra padding in the bum for beginners though!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snowboarding this winter

We worked for Whakapapa ski area on Ruapehu for the winter season when we arrived a couple years ago. Not been to Queenstown for winter though, just mid summer, but ill offer my thoughts.....

The missis had never been on snow before (she must love me for agreeing to a whole season working on the side of a mountain) and she opted to learn snowboarding rather than ski.

I guess the first thing is to decide if you really want to buy all the gear up front if you only want to try snowboarding? You may not like it!

The ski area will have all the gear you need for rent though. Probably expensive if you hire for a week's worth of skiing, vs's buying, but may be an option if you only want to go for a long weekend for example. (especially if you are thinking of buying board & boots as well as clothing too)

There are a number of ski areas around Queenstown so its probably best to rent from the numerous rental places in Queenstown center. This would be probably be cheaper than hiring from the ski area's directly.

Your accommodation will no doubt have a deal going with a certain place but it would pay to shop around if you arrive and have time. Doing it that way also avoids the rental queues at the ski area, especially if you go on a weekend.

Lift passes can also often be bought in local stores, probably from the same place you rent the gear from. They will be the same price or will sometimes have better prices for multi day deals combined with the hire that will, again, often beat the turn up and pay ski areas prices and avoid queues.

In my experience here, Europe or USA, lessons are offered by the ski area alone and tightly controlled, I guess its a liability thing. You can opt for a group session or private instruction depending on budget. If in a group you'll be put with a load of newbies on the nursery slope to start with which with no experience that would probably be fine to get the basics.

Also, when it comes to gear and snowboarding as a beginner, make sure you get wrist guards! Cheap if you want to buy, but also available for rent, and very much recommended by the ski areas (and me after the missis broke her wrists on snowboarding lesson number 2!) As a skateboarder you can probably appreciate this.

Last edited by madao; Mar 4th 2014 at 7:55 am.