Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

smoking laws : good or bad?

View Poll Results: Smoking laws - good or bad?
good
90.91%
bad
9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

smoking laws : good or bad?

Old May 7th 2007, 10:39 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: smoking laws : good or bad?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Just got new next door neighbours over the weekend. Seems to be a family with 2 young kids and another very obviously on the way.... the mum was outside smoking earlier. I still cant get my head around why anyone would do this?!
Smoking when pregnant is just daft....they should tell expectant mothers

"If we catch you smoking, we won't let you keep the baby"!
Old May 7th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by karonious
Outside having a cigarette!
I was going to reply "in the smoking room" and thought I ought to check if any nurses had replied
Old May 7th 2007, 10:48 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I was going to reply "in the smoking room" and thought I ought to check if any nurses had replied
That's all the others incidentally - I'm a smug bugger who doesn't smoke any more
Old May 7th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
That's all the others incidentally - I'm a smug bugger who doesn't smoke any more
Same-from 6 weeks ago!!
Old May 7th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Same-from 6 weeks ago!!
well done dan
Old May 7th 2007, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
I gave up smoking nearly 20 years ago and i'm proud to be the world worst Anti-smoker!!!

Can't wait for the smoking ban in public places...can't stand the smell.

Found out about 6 months ago that daughter smoked for a couple of weeks and was gutted ...she was less pleased when i took back her £20 pocket money stating that i wasn't prepared to pay for her to smoke and if she needs money then she'll need a job thing is this is impossible as she's only 15 and can't get a job because of her age. Oh i also gave her all the gorey facts about smoking...she stopped

Roll on July
My friend was caught out smoking by her mother ~ she made her eat the rest of the cigarettes in the packet (not the stubs) 30 years on she's still a non smoker.
Old May 7th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura about

"There is no PROOF that smoking causes cancer, you know."

Tell that to Richard Doll
Old May 7th 2007, 7:25 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Avid;4747367]Deary me! I didn't say 'smoking doesn't cause cancer'. I said it hasn't been PROVED. If it was proven they wouldn't be able to sell any fags at all, would they?

Or they could put warnings on packets like 'Smoking causes cancer' and 'smoking kills.' Oh, thats right, THEY ALRREADY DO.
Old May 7th 2007, 9:08 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotpots
My friend was caught out smoking by her mother ~ she made her eat the rest of the cigarettes in the packet (not the stubs) 30 years on she's still a non smoker.
But she still eats a packet of cigarettes every day......
Old May 7th 2007, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Hotpots
"There is no PROOF that smoking causes cancer, you know."

Tell that to Richard Doll
Yes...but Richard Doll proved that there was a link between smoking and cancer (which there obviously is!) and that a combination of smoking, diet and lifestyle causes cancer.

Obviously, if you smoke you are going to have a much greater chance of getting cancer...but it's wrong to say that if you smoke you WILL get cancer.

And passive smoking, though not very nice, seems to have no links to cancer.

I stopped smoking ten years ago, by the way
Old May 7th 2007, 10:14 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

obviously avid is an oncologist in his spare time. You seem to have completely ignored the fact that smokers get small cell cancer, and I don't think anyone mentioned passive smoking, just that they didn't like being around smokers. You're obviously bored at work and fancy trying to bait for an argument with your ridiculous comments.
Old May 7th 2007, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Littletoe
obviously avid is an oncologist in his spare time. You seem to have completely ignored the fact that smokers get small cell cancer, and I don't think anyone mentioned passive smoking, just that they didn't like being around smokers. You're obviously bored at work and fancy trying to bait for an argument with your ridiculous comments.
Look! I agree with you that almost everybody who has small cell cancer in their lungs is a smoker. Obviously, smoking is a factor in getting this cancer.

But you can't say "If you smoke, you will get small cell cancer" you can only say "People with small cell cancer are almost always smokers".

Smoking doesn't automatically give you cancer...it's combination of smoking, diet, lifestyle and genetics that causes it. That's what I mean when I say there is no proof.

Anyway, some statistics suggest that 15% of New Zealanders prefer cannabis, perhaps that's why there isn't much smoking in public.
Old May 8th 2007, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Avid
Smoking doesn't automatically give you cancer...it's combination of smoking, diet, lifestyle and genetics that causes it. That's what I mean when I say there is no proof.

Nope I'm not biting this time