Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

smoking laws : good or bad?

View Poll Results: Smoking laws - good or bad?
good
90.91%
bad
9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

smoking laws : good or bad?

Old May 3rd 2007, 10:37 pm
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough
Default smoking laws : good or bad?

I for one think they got it wrong. I would love to see a cigar bar in NZ. pah!
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future
Default Re: smoking laws : good or bad?

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
I for one think they got it wrong. I would love to see a cigar bar in NZ. pah!
Smoking in all public places has been banned in Scotland now for a year and we just love it. Especially being such reformed heavy smokers Smuggness is not a nice trait I know, but I have to be proud of being a quitter!
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:54 pm
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about

Interesting one this - I used to run pubs in the UK and do the same here in NZ now, and I smoke. I reckon it's great that pubs are no smoking here, and a few of my mates in the UK, who are running bars, think it will shaft their businesses, but it won't. The only possible exception is nightclubs, where getting out for a fag with a controlled door is difficult.

You get used to it quickly, and the smoking area of a pub is usually like the kitchen at parties.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

As a smoker who usually only smokes when I'm out having a drink, I think its excellent. Most places provide really good outdoor areas. I cant believe now that we used to sit at a restaurant table and have a smoke after our meals, with non-smokers or young families in the same area having to put up with it.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:21 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jude J
As a smoker who usually only smokes when I'm out having a drink, I think its excellent. Most places provide really good outdoor areas. I cant believe now that we used to sit at a restaurant table and have a smoke after our meals, with non-smokers or young families in the same area having to put up with it.
I hate it in restaurants but in a pub? C'mon! It's good to have a pint and smoke! Inside!! Not freezing yer but off outside huddled together like lepers
Old May 4th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I hate it in restaurants but in a pub? C'mon! It's good to have a pint and smoke! Inside!! Not freezing yer but off outside huddled together like lepers
I dont have to do that, the places I go have sheltered areas with gas heaters!
One new bar has even got these really comfy sofas on wheels so they can bring them in overnight. Honestly, its like sitting in your lounge, lovely sea views and everything!
Change your venue!
Old May 4th 2007, 1:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jude J
I dont have to do that, the places I go have sheltered areas with gas heaters!
One new bar has even got these really comfy sofas on wheels so they can bring them in overnight. Honestly, its like sitting in your lounge, lovely sea views and everything!
Change your venue!
Hmm, sounds alright! Only place in welly I can think of where you can smoke in semi decent comfort is matterhorn, who also see cigars.

But not sure how happy people are when I light up a stogie outside!

I tend not to bother with pub anymore. I long for the good old fashioned english boozer, where I can smoke, drink a decent pint, and watch the mighty red army kicking Chelsea's arse! Yay!!

I hate the general wankiness of bars in NZ.
Old May 4th 2007, 2:03 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the general wankiness of bars in NZ.
In a few years they'll ban drinking in pubs.....
Old May 4th 2007, 6:23 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I love it, I can have a night out and not be stinking like an ashtray the next day.
The outdoor smoking areas are a joke around where I live anyways cos they are so cosy you wouldn't know you weren't indoors .... in fact they prob are warmer than the actual pub is
Old May 4th 2007, 6:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
I love it, I can have a night out and not be stinking like an ashtray the next day.
The outdoor smoking areas are a joke around where I live anyways cos they are so cosy you wouldn't know you weren't indoors .... in fact they prob are warmer than the actual pub is
Is that a picture of you smoking outside? cos if it is can I have your number

(Does insanely big wolf whistle)
Old May 4th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to a night out at our local tonight - but wont be able to hack a full night there. Yuk! all that horrible smoke - only got limited amount of clothes here and one jacket, that will stink for the rest of my holiday.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:26 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Hi Dee whats it like being in a cold and smelly astray for a night out and these tossers who smoke like it ,as for cigars ,well they were the first to be banned along with pipes on airline flights closely followed by fags.I personally love to see the addicts outside of work smoking especially when its raining and we have a southernly breeze,they should not have any form of shelter ,now a thought here is each time they go for a fag break I may just stop work and claim that they get more breaks than I do .Time to make it ILLEGAL fully in public and at work ,smoke in your own ashtray and call it home,I dont want your poison near me I have to breath your used crap.:curse: Nobody visitors or friends are allowed to smoke in my home or outside on my decking,rules, tough but rules.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:35 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I too, am an ex-smoker. I am also a very smug b@st@rd!! I love to see people smoking outside, freezing their arses off. It brings me an immense pleasure to realise that I don't have to do that any more. I stopped 16 months ago and I know that this time, it is for real (at £100 for hypnotherapy 5 months in when I faltered, it had BETTER be forever!). To the degree I was a smoking cessation advisor in the UK and intend to undertake similar training here. I haven't managed to stop StevieB yet but I feel the simple expedient of a large elastoplast over his mouth and cutting his hands off may cure him shortly!!
So, smoking laws : good or bad?:
GOOOOOD!
Old May 4th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
I too, am an ex-smoker. I am also a very smug b@st@rd!! I love to see people smoking outside, freezing their arses off. It brings me an immense pleasure to realise that I don't have to do that any more. I stopped 16 months ago and I know that this time, it is for real (at £100 for hypnotherapy 5 months in when I faltered, it had BETTER be forever!). To the degree I was a smoking cessation advisor in the UK and intend to undertake similar training here. I haven't managed to stop StevieB yet but I feel the simple expedient of a large elastoplast over his mouth and cutting his hands off may cure him shortly!!
So, smoking laws : good or bad?:
GOOOOOD!
I'm Quit Smoking Nurse in NZ!
Old May 4th 2007, 9:40 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
I'm Quit Smoking Nurse in NZ!
Just started the preliminary training last week
I start with a small pair of scissors and just cut off the pinkie - makes holding the cig painful........next week I get the pruning shears!!
Well, everything is going to drop off anyway if they continue smoking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.