Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skype and cheap calls

Skype and cheap calls

Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Skype and cheap calls

Does anyone use Skype for calling back to the UK.
I plan to work from home in New Zealand and will be making several calls during the night to the UK. The calls will be sales related and therefore not necessarily long calls. Some may even be less than 1 minute.

I have read that Skype is going to be massive and change the way people use thier phone as you dont pay for any calls for people you phone who are also on Skype and low rates for those who are not.

I would also like to know if anyone can recommend a company I could use when I arrive in NZ for cheap calls to NZ. I have done some initial research and found that it is cheap if you are on a call for a long time as the connection charge is high.

Any help you can provide on these two areas would really help.

Thanks

Paul
Old Aug 15th 2005, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype and cheap calls

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
Does anyone use Skype for calling back to the UK.
I plan to work from home in New Zealand and will be making several calls during the night to the UK. The calls will be sales related and therefore not necessarily long calls. Some may even be less than 1 minute.

I have read that Skype is going to be massive and change the way people use thier phone as you dont pay for any calls for people you phone who are also on Skype and low rates for those who are not.

I would also like to know if anyone can recommend a company I could use when I arrive in NZ for cheap calls to NZ. I have done some initial research and found that it is cheap if you are on a call for a long time as the connection charge is high.

Any help you can provide on these two areas would really help.

Thanks

Paul
Skype is a brilliant bit of kit, you can talk computer to computer, send text messages, ring landlines anywhere in the world (for a very low fee), and basically the only costs what ever your connection is, so if your on broadband, no charge. Go to www.skype.com to check out how much it costs to dial a landline in any country.
You pay 10 euros (approx £6.90) and you can call New Zealand landlines for about 10 hours.

You can also have up to 5 people in one conversation.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

cornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura about

We also use Skype from NZ. We have a London number as most of our calls are to UK and most people who call us call from the UK therefore they only pay the price of a call in UK.

It was 0.17 euros cents per min but it is now showing 0.2 euros cents per min.

regards
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cornerofsilence
We also use Skype from NZ. We have a London number as most of our calls are to UK and most people who call us call from the UK therefore they only pay the price of a call in UK.

It was 0.17 euros cents per min but it is now showing 0.2 euros cents per min.

regards
my step father and brother inlaw both use skype from france to UK and UK to all over the world via broadband, all they had to get was a usb head set to talk for about £20.
As soon as i grt to NZ i will be on it.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

cornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Skype and cheap calls

You can get a voip telephone as well.

regards
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:10 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend Skype big time. Free to download & easy to use & either free or dead cheap.

Do it!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We use skype to ring UK....its good
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, what positive responses. I think I might even look at buying shares in the company.

One last question though, is it only cheap if you make long phone calls or is it still cheap of you make a quick call or get an answer phone?

Thanks again for everyones help.

Paul
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

You just pay by the minute.