Reload this Page >

Single Mum and Two Teenagers going to Auckland this year

Single Mum and Two Teenagers going to Auckland this year

Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:33 am
Just Joined

wackywoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Mum and Two Teenagers going to Auckland this year

Hi there,
My name is Alison, I am 44 - been qualified as a midwife for a year now! yep late into a profession and loving it one day and wonder what on earth I have done on other days.

Well this is the profession that is giving me this wonderful opportunity in my life... I am going to try and live in another part of the world with my two gorgeous children aged 14 and 12...

Not sure if I am bonkers or not... coz I am coming when it will directly affect their base education, but it feels that NZ qualifications are recognised globally and equal our GCSEs so they if we come home they should be ok?!

I am quite daunted by all the paperwork coz I got through the EOI and then realised I had to transfer my professional qualification first so got to get my act into gear on that one. Then probs gonna go with work to residence actually.

We live in Nottingham in the UK, the kids see their dad alot, who is a great dad although a bit of a domineering character with alot of negative vibes so want to also get away from him... for a bit or forever, I dont mind which for me!

Hoping to be leaving the UK in November this year - 2009.
Am interested to see what discussion points this website can offer to still my nervous heart!
Alison
x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:35 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Mum and Two Teenagers going to Auckland this year

Originally Posted by wackywoman
Hi there,
My name is Alison, I am 44 - been qualified as a midwife for a year now! yep late into a profession and loving it one day and wonder what on earth I have done on other days.

Well this is the profession that is giving me this wonderful opportunity in my life... I am going to try and live in another part of the world with my two gorgeous children aged 14 and 12...

Not sure if I am bonkers or not... coz I am coming when it will directly affect their base education, but it feels that NZ qualifications are recognised globally and equal our GCSEs so they if we come home they should be ok?!

I am quite daunted by all the paperwork coz I got through the EOI and then realised I had to transfer my professional qualification first so got to get my act into gear on that one. Then probs gonna go with work to residence actually.

We live in Nottingham in the UK, the kids see their dad alot, who is a great dad although a bit of a domineering character with alot of negative vibes so want to also get away from him... for a bit or forever, I dont mind which for me!

Hoping to be leaving the UK in November this year - 2009.
Am interested to see what discussion points this website can offer to still my nervous heart!
Alison
x
Hi Alison

Good luck with your plans ..... know what you mean about nervous heart! my situation not as involved as yours sounds to be but I still have days when my pulse rate goes up just logging on here! Have found this forum to help loads with those nagging questions that keep popping into my head so keep at it!

Also hope to heading out around November time so will keep a look out for your posts.

Take Care
B x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Awww thanks so much for getting back to me... and agree heart racing reading things...

Hey maybe we will become friends and meet up when there as we will be going through things together... what stage you at with your paperwork?

You got kids too? Are you single too?
Alison x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:19 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Awww thanks so much for getting back to me... and agree heart racing reading things...

Hey maybe we will become friends and meet up when there as we will be going through things together... what stage you at with your paperwork?

You got kids too? Are you single too?
Alison x
Hi Alison

No, I'm married, (30+yrs!!! ) luckily for me husband was born in NZ, but he has lived here since he was 2 so my application for PR is as partner of NZ citizen, and hopefully pretty straight forward
Havn't started my application yet due to complications with selling property and buying something as security + somewhere for son to live for a couple of years, the house move all coming together now so getting stuff together ready to apply once actually moved.
Yes, have got two grown up 'babies' 28 yr old daughter and 23 (alomst) yr old son who both have NZ citizenship but don't want to live in NZ at the moment ...... hoping that this might change once they have visited us!!

Have read your other post .... hope things work out for you!! Think you would be wise to resolve situation re children first and may be get your midwifery qualification registered ..... at least then you would still have option of applying for yourself for shorterm contract if thats the path you decide to take. But, hey use the knowledge & support of posters on here .... can only help!!

take care
B x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for all your help this morning....
Gonna go off and post my job offer letter so that bit is the secure bit anyways... and we will see what happens with the kids as time ticks on...

Decided have to get their dad on board first so will invite him round for a discussion and have the papers for him to read to see what his opinion will be.

Hmmm hard stuff this trying to move forward in life mallarky!!!
Hope you are all enjoying the british sunshie for a bit anyways!!
Alison x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome aboard this little NZ forum Wackywoman.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alison

Welcome to BE. Did you do your training at Nottingham Uni? Where are you working at present? I trained at Nottingham, but was based at DCGH. I qualified 10yrs ago now. Sadly I have just given up midwifery as I cannot practice as I wish to in NZ. It's years behind the UK & lots of unsafe practices happening.

Where are you hoping to work in Auckland? I'd avoid Auckland City Hosp & North Shore if you want to practice as a midwife & not an obstetric nurse. Your best bet would be Middlemore as they have fewer women with private LMC's.

Sorry this sounds negative but I just want you to have a realistic view of midwifery in NZ & not the rose-coloured clap-trap you get in the journals. Especially as it sounds like you may have a less than stress-free time getting your partner to allow the children to come.

Good luck
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Ive just read that you've got a job at Auckland City

Which ward are you on? Hopefully, it'll be 96/98. There are some really lovely staff on there. Work 12hr shifts otherwise the parking is a nightmare,ie. park at Newmarket & get the bus or walk!

Very seriously, if it's Tamaki Ward you need to get in touch with the hospital & ask for 96/98. My life & that of other British midwives were made a living hell on that ward. You will get the worst shifts & be bullied on that ward. It is run by the EN's & HCA's all of whom are as lazy as hell.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Sorry, Ive just read that you've got a job at Auckland City

Which ward are you on? Hopefully, it'll be 96/98. There are some really lovely staff on there. Work 12hr shifts otherwise the parking is a nightmare,ie. park at Newmarket & get the bus or walk!

Very seriously, if it's Tamaki Ward you need to get in touch with the hospital & ask for 96/98. My life & that of other British midwives were made a living hell on that ward. You will get the worst shifts & be bullied on that ward. It is run by the EN's & HCA's all of whom are as lazy as hell.

Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Hey there... thanks for your thoughtfulness in your comments again.

Hmmmm yep I do have a job at Auckland City, based on Labour Suite actually so figure that even though they will be women with medical issues there will be enough work that is similar to here that I will be able to do. I do hope to get experience on the wards as well. BUT Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Not sure if I can come now though...
spent the last coupld of days with my dad going through stuff...
AND....
I simply cant afford it... I could find the money for the visas and the medical reports and the registration coz its not all in one go... but then I have to pay for the flights for the kids.. have a bond for a rental house, the relocation is only a one way flight for me and two weeks rental!!! not brilliant at all... I think I was expecting a month really...

I got a loan to pay for our recent holiday to NZ to show my kids so they knew where I was planning to take em... they loved it... I was planning to leave that loan in place and pay it from NZ when I got settled... but my dad said that isnt possible...

Then to be honest... (well dishonest which doest go against all grain I have) I was gonna get a loan to pay for all the expenses and leave without planning to repay it.... not honest I know but dunno how else to get the money together to do it in this year...

I just dont know where else to get the money from to do it...... and I am scared... am I a fool as a single parent doing this... i would be sooooooooo proud if I achieved it.. but just dont know HOW to do it... if money wasnt an issue I feel that none of the things I am worrying about would be an issue.. coz their dad would not consider it so bad at all if I could cope better financially I am sure...
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm SO SO SO SO sad...
hoping for a wad of dosh to fall into my lap
HAAHAHAHAH
hope you are having a good day
Ive had a really nice shift today.
Alison xxx
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:15 pm
MnB

Hey there... thanks for your thoughtfulness in your comments again.

Hmmmm yep I do have a job at Auckland City, based on Labour Suite actually so figure that even though they will be women with medical issues there will be enough work that is similar to here that I will be able to do. I do hope to get experience on the wards as well. BUT Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Not sure if I can come now though...
spent the last coupld of days with my dad going through stuff...
AND....
I simply cant afford it... I could find the money for the visas and the medical reports and the registration coz its not all in one go... but then I have to pay for the flights for the kids.. have a bond for a rental house, the relocation is only a one way flight for me and two weeks rental!!! not brilliant at all... I think I was expecting a month really...

I got a loan to pay for our recent holiday to NZ to show my kids so they knew where I was planning to take em... they loved it... I was planning to leave that loan in place and pay it from NZ when I got settled... but my dad said that isnt possible...

Then to be honest... (well dishonest which doest go against all grain I have) I was gonna get a loan to pay for all the expenses and leave without planning to repay it.... not honest I know but dunno how else to get the money together to do it in this year...

I just dont know where else to get the money from to do it...... and I am scared... am I a fool as a single parent doing this... i would be sooooooooo proud if I achieved it.. but just dont know HOW to do it... if money wasnt an issue I feel that none of the things I am worrying about would be an issue.. coz their dad would not consider it so bad at all if I could cope better financially I am sure...
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm SO SO SO SO sad...
hoping for a wad of dosh to fall into my lap
HAAHAHAHAH
hope you are having a good day
Ive had a really nice shift today.
Alison xxx
Hi Alison

Read & re-read your post, trying to think of a solution for you or at least some words of wisdom & comfort ......

Is there any way you could just put your plans on hold for a bit .... giving you time to pay off some more of loan plus investigate the possibility of getting cheaper loan to repay balance outstanding plus extra to give you a cushion that you can re-pay from NZ salary? Might be talking out of my a** but you have got a job lined up with guaranteed salary so regular income will continue .... just be honest with lenders, it would be so stressfull to go against your values and borrow money that you dont intend repaying

Dont give up your dream just yet .... I'm sure others will be along to give you more worthy advice, in the mean time will keep thinking cap on!!
Take care
B x
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Hi Alison,

Delivery suite isn't too bad, you will get a few normals through but not as many as the UK as many will be under Obs or LMC midwife care. You may do some of the labour care but then the LMC catches the baby & takes the glory!!!!!!!!!

If you do decide to come, I would negotiate your relocation package. They can do much better than they have offered you. They are absolutely desperate for midwives. Met up with a friend on wednesday, she's a midwife on 96/98 & she was telling me how short-staffed they are.

I don't think it's advisable to leave debts in the UK, I vaguely remember another thread on this topic a few months ago. Perhaps someone else will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Single Mum and Two Teenagers going to Auckland this year

You know what... since sort of deciding I'm not going my heart feels still....
I am looking around me and seeing beauty...

I have not told anybody my inner thoughts at not going now as I am waiting to see whether I have the nerve to ask a close friends husband for a long term loan as he is a millionnnaire who showed an interest and support of me doing the training when I first met him. We are partying together in a couple of weeks so gonna see if I feel he may be open to the idea..

If not I wont be stressed coz honestly I feel relaxed... more relaxed than I have since making the decision. I AM gonna do that pros and cons list thing and see what that shoots up.

Again I love you all for your thoughts into my situation.
Alison xxx