British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Simon Schama - New Zealand/Australia Union (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/simon-schama-new-zealand-australia-union-692988/)

Charismatic Nov 11th 2010 5:52 am

Re: Simon Schama - New Zealand/Australia Union

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8974757)
Yes but don´t let a good fact get in the way of a great joke :rofl:

Has some one gates to the Australian forum open? They seem to be wandering away from their own part of the forum :p.

ExKiwilass Nov 11th 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8974745)
One thing most New Zealanders will not admit or more likely do not know is that a large proportion of New Zealand's first white settlers were ex-cons who had completed their sentences in Aussie and wanted to move to New Zealand where their past would not be known about.

So by proxy, New Zealand was also a convict - populated country.

BB

Back that up pls (though honestly, I doubt anyone would care)

Actually at that point there was much to and fro and very little sense of "Australia" and "NZ" making the argument kind of moot imo. One of my ancestors buggered off to Oz in the 19th century and had a bigamous marriage, which means there are a lot of Aussies with dodgy kiwi roots he he

ExKiwilass Nov 11th 2010 3:20 pm

They bring it up every few years etc. etc. Yawn.

Buzzy--Bee Nov 11th 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 8975756)
Back that up pls (though honestly, I doubt anyone would care)

Actually at that point there was much to and fro and very little sense of "Australia" and "NZ" making the argument kind of moot imo. One of my ancestors buggered off to Oz in the 19th century and had a bigamous marriage, which means there are a lot of Aussies with dodgy kiwi roots he he

Indeed, the below article indicates that many people were temporary trading vistors to NZ though it does say that "Some had come most of the way against their will to the Australian convict settlement of Sydney..... Many of New Zealand’s early immigrants first spent time in Australia"

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/history-of-immigration/1

BB

Bellasmum Nov 12th 2010 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8976258)
Indeed, the below article indicates that many people were temporary trading vistors to NZ though it does say that "Some had come most of the way against their will to the Australian convict settlement of Sydney..... Many of New Zealand’s early immigrants first spent time in Australia"

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/history-of-immigration/1

BB

While not wanting to spoil a good story.......

Many of New Zealand’s early immigrants first spent time in Australia and most of them were only temporary visitors in search of items to trade.

Hope that helps
:)

londonescapee Nov 12th 2010 6:43 am

I wondered whether it would be good to have a unilateral currency but then thinking about the Euro I am now not so sure....

Expat Kiwi Nov 12th 2010 10:46 am

Do you mean a common currency?

Europe is a completely different case though isn't it. All those countries, all those different economies all with their own particular strengths and weaknesses.

At least here the Australian and NZ banking systems are practically the same, most of the Kiwi banks are offshoots of Australian banks. It wouldn't be so hard to have a common currency.

Who knows, now that we have money trader John in the hot seat things may change?

LukeandJo Nov 13th 2010 7:27 am

Its here guys if you want to listen to it and can't get onto bbc iplayer

http://rapidshare.com/files/43053815...0_09-04-10.mp3

bev remove if not allowed please.

londonescapee Nov 13th 2010 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 8977454)

Europe is a completely different case though isn't it. All those countries, all those different economies all with their own particular strengths and weaknesses.

At least here the Australian and NZ banking systems are practically the same, most of the Kiwi banks are offshoots of Australian banks. It wouldn't be so hard to have a common currency.

Who knows, now that we have money trader John in the hot seat things may change?

Yes that would be the one. I am patiently waiting for HSBC to move down here and give the Australian banks a run for their money :p not overwhelmed with the banking system thus far!

Charismatic Nov 13th 2010 9:51 am

Taking it slow so far :huh:.

JohnThePom Nov 13th 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8974745)
One thing most New Zealanders will not admit or more likely do not know is that a large proportion of New Zealand's first white settlers were ex-cons who had completed their sentences in Aussie and wanted to move to New Zealand where their past would not be known about.

So by proxy, New Zealand was also a convict - populated country.

BB

So by convicts that were ashamed of their criminal past, rather than proud of it?

ExKiwilass Nov 13th 2010 3:01 pm

Hmm, I"'m not so sure.

As things are now each country has independence in setting interest rates to cool things down as needed, etc. for their economies. That would be lost if there was a common currency. Even though Canada and the USA are separate, Canada has been keeping interest rates v. v. low to keep in line with teh USA and the result has been very mixed for Canadians.

tkirya Nov 14th 2010 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8974737)
Aussie Immigration Officer: " Do you have any criminal convictions"
Traveller: "Oh I´m sorry, I didn´t realise they were still mandatory"

:)

hahahaha. yes i am sure a few of my ancestors ended up in botany bay. :rofl:

simonsi Nov 14th 2010 10:34 pm

Yep and the issue is the disparity between those economies, that causes the intra-Euro stress without having local tools (such as in-country interest rates), to deal with the local issues.

Australia's economic mineral wealth alone might be the undoing of any local combination of the NZ and Aus economies. And any attempt to link the NZ currency with the Aus would see the NZ economy struggle and bear the brunt of artificially maintaining a parity that doesnt naturally exist, just as with the ERM. As Maggie said, you can't buck the market.

gocebe Nov 15th 2010 12:30 am

Union between the two countries will eventually be achieved organically by osmosis.