British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Simon Schama - New Zealand/Australia Union (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/simon-schama-new-zealand-australia-union-692988/)

Charismatic Nov 10th 2010 8:56 am

Simon Schama - New Zealand/Australia Union

I missed this somehow despite loving his work (thoroughly recommend if you’ve not tried already :)). BBC linky: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rth9p

ExKiwilass Nov 10th 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Simon Schama - New Zealand/Australia Union

cool!

drrobert Nov 10th 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8972683)
I missed this somehow despite loving his work (thoroughly recommend if you’ve not tried already :)). BBC linky: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rth9p

Interesting, but there is no need to worry, as there is no possibility of a union with Australia in the foreseeable future.

Maori (and many European New Zealanders) will simply not accept any constitutional document which could override the Treaty of Waitangi, or which could cede any sovereignty to an overseas body.

Charismatic Nov 10th 2010 10:10 pm

I don't see the benefits to New Zealand yet, it would need to get very poor first.

Buzzy--Bee Nov 11th 2010 2:29 am

Originally Posted by drrobert (Post 8974006)
Interesting, but there is no need to worry, as there is no possibility of a union with Australia in the foreseeable future.

Maori (and many European New Zealanders) will simply not accept any constitutional document which could override the Treaty of Waitangi, or which could cede any sovereignty to an overseas body.

Yes. This is the biggest issue from this side of the Tasman - What to do with the Maori and their historical claims.

As far as the Australian constitution goes, NZ could become part of Australia today as when the states were originally established, NZ was included in the Australian constitution.

In fact, New Zealand used to be part of the colony of New South Wales before Australia was created I think.

BB

Expat Kiwi Nov 11th 2010 3:29 am

This gets aired every few years and then put back in the cupboard :D

I don't think it's going to happen but here are the reasons that are given for a union

Top Reasons why New Zealand should join Australia

10. Pay equalization. The prosperity difference is at a critical point. (Australians are earning twice what we are)
Doctors, radiologists, forklift drivers. Even the minimum wage is 50% higher in Australia (equal to NZ$18.65/hr).

9. Its the economy, together we will prosper.

8. GST will go down to 10% and none on the basics milk, bread, meat, fruit and vegetables.

7. More Growth. The local markets of Australia and New Zealand will both expand. If we join, we will prosper. The government and the pension funds (which we will join) will invest here, once the risk of investing in a foreign country is removed.

6. Stop head office RELOCATION - Keep the tax rates the same and NZ head offices wont relocate to Australia to get the tax break.

5.Health. Australians dont want to come here because the health systems are worse If we join up we will get a better health system.

4. We CAN join Australia. We would be mad to turn down the opportunity.

Go to our website www. Joinaustraliamovement.co.nz and see The Australian Founding Document Page 2 section 6-, Founding States.

3. Superannuation. Australia are bounding ahead. If you can't [beat]them - join them.

2.Sport. Dont worry, well keep the All Blacks just like the UK keeps England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

1. Bank ownership. Being part of the same tax basket ,we will own the bank of New Zealand again -Oh yes! Its the way to a brighter future.

from http://www.joinaustraliamovement.co....xidc76193.html

But why should Kiwis bother when so many are already living and working in Australia?

simonsi Nov 11th 2010 3:49 am

Oooh, sounds like similar reasons that have been quoted for the UK joining/staying in the EU - what a jolly jape that has turned out to be....

Charismatic Nov 11th 2010 3:59 am

We could do like a "South Pacific Union" type thing like the EU? Free trade and movement of people, establishing and promoting human rights, economic cooperation in pursuit of development?

Joining Australia wouldn’t directly guarantee New Zealand economic prosperity, their prosperity has been gained by taking advantage of mineral assets and subsequent supporting industries (manufacturing etc). While we have mineral assets here in New Zealand we have not yet really exploited those opportunities.

hazeandsteve Nov 11th 2010 4:11 am

There are, agreeably, attractive sides to the argument, however, these can all be countered by the fact that Australia is populated by Aussies.....

nuff said.

Expat Kiwi Nov 11th 2010 4:29 am

:D and a lot of Kiwis and Poms!

Buzzy--Bee Nov 11th 2010 4:55 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 8974672)
There are, agreeably, attractive sides to the argument, however, these can all be countered by the fact that Australia is populated by Aussies.....

nuff said.

Thank goodness for that. I'd be worried if it was mainly populated by immigrants!!! :rofl:

BB

simonsi Nov 11th 2010 5:28 am

Aussie Immigration Officer: " Do you have any criminal convictions"
Traveller: "Oh I´m sorry, I didn´t realise they were still mandatory"

:)

simonsi Nov 11th 2010 5:30 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 8974672)

I thought they were all working in London bars?? And Aus was populated by Kiwi´s... must stop believing everything I read...:rofl:

Buzzy--Bee Nov 11th 2010 5:35 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8974737)
Aussie Immigration Officer: " Do you have any criminal convictions"
Traveller: "Oh I´m sorry, I didn´t realise they were still mandatory"

:)

One thing most New Zealanders will not admit or more likely do not know is that a large proportion of New Zealand's first white settlers were ex-cons who had completed their sentences in Aussie and wanted to move to New Zealand where their past would not be known about.

So by proxy, New Zealand was also a convict - populated country.

BB

simonsi Nov 11th 2010 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8974745)
So by proxy, New Zealand was also a convict - populated country.

Yes but don´t let a good fact get in the way of a great joke :rofl: