Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should it be New Zealand or Australia?!?

Should it be New Zealand or Australia?!?

Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

terrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really niceterrytiler is just really nice
Default Should it be New Zealand or Australia?!?

Hi guys
Just had a conversation with a friend who has stated that New Zealand is the most gorgeous place on earth, however, might be too quiet for the children when they grow up, because when she visited, all the teenagers+ couldn't wait to leave to find more life!!! Now we are really confused
Any pointers would be gratefully received pleased. My husband has been looking at properties in Australia and they are pretty wow, but Autralia is a big place and we still feel New Zealand is right in our hearts.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:10 pm
Banned

techieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should it be New Zealand or Australia?!?

For you and your kids sake I'd say Australia. You might not see them much once they leave home if you go to NZ.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:16 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by techieguy
For you and your kids sake I'd say Australia. You might not see them much once they leave home if you go to NZ.
kids could leave home in the UK, Oz, Canada, whenever and get on with there own lifes....I dont expect my kids to pander to me when Im older...

but saying that we are all very close...

and btw where are you Tech, are you living in UK, Mars or??? you always have negative views on life...or New Zealand in general, and if you go on the Oz forum there are negative views on living there same as US Canada, anywhere..

life is what you make it, and its short...

so I say make your own mind up, because at the end of the day we all have different expectations...and expierences.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by terrytiler
Hi guys
Just had a conversation with a friend who has stated that New Zealand is the most gorgeous place on earth, however, might be too quiet for the children when they grow up, because when she visited, all the teenagers+ couldn't wait to leave to find more life!!! Now we are really confused
Any pointers would be gratefully received pleased. My husband has been looking at properties in Australia and they are pretty wow, but Autralia is a big place and we still feel New Zealand is right in our hearts.
And I must say I stopped looking on these expat forums before we emigrated and the dare I say the other one???

and made up our own mind and just went for it.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:42 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
You have to make your own mind up on this one. I lived in Perth for a year and liked it and may well go back in future, who knows. But for me NZ is fantastic, lots of bad points as has everywhere but overall a wonderful place to live. Been here 3 years now and only thing I would change is the distance from UK. If I could just move NZ and sit it on top of France would be perfect
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:55 pm
Banned

techieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant future

NZ has a real problem with young people leaving, well the clever ones anyway, leaving all the plebs behind....of course your kids might not be so clever...
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

NZ has a real problem with young people leaving, well the clever ones anyway, leaving all the plebs behind....of course your kids might not be so clever...
I don't think anyone can help you. Its your call. Both places have huge upsides and huge downsides..just like EVERYWHERE on this planet. Surely you must know in your own heart which one is more you. You will find that any kids born in either Oz or NZ will want to do their OE. Both countries are is a HUGELY remote part of the world..NZ being the most remote western civilisation on earth!!

You will either love the 'in your face Oz psyche', the huge size of it and the heat..or you will hate all three!! NZ is very more laid back, way less progressive, colder, way smaller and a tad backwards and apparently much harder to make ends meet than life in Oz. I know which one I prefer..but then I consider myself somewhat backwards in many ways.

NZ rocks..so does Oz but NZ is home.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you so rude and condesending to people?

Last edited by Am Loolah; Sep 9th 2008 at 2:44 am. Reason: Previous poster has been banned.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

I think there are a lot of for's and against's for both countries. Yes there are people moving to OZ but they are going there to get better paid jobs, having said that, I bet they return here to have a family and settle down and lead a quieter life. Your kids could go to any given place once they come of age. You cannot expect to live their lives for them. They may love NZ and never want to leave, then again they may decide to go to say USA or Canada or back to the UK for instance. Do you want a change of country for a property that screams wow or for a smaller country with fabulous scenery, lower wages, etc. I know the scenery doesn't pay the bills but I have also heard lots of people cannot stand the constant heat in OZ - that said, I think they live in hotter areas like Brisbane etc. For me personally, I love NZ and even if it is remote it still has its seasons and I like that. I love the smallness of the place - or vastness if you compare it to UK but with loads less people and bigger spaces between major towns/cities. It is a big decision to make and I think you would do well to come for a reccie to both countries before you decide either way.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by shirl
Why are you so rude and condesending to people?
Because hes angry about something in his own life, hence no information on where he or it is in the world...and it makes him feel better..awwwww poor him
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm

Because hes angry about something in his own life, hence no information on where he or it is in the world...and it makes him feel better..awwwww poor him
Yes but we all know he will return under another name, I read some posts of his and he said you just have to delete some info and register under another name - so easy to do. We will have to watch out for a new user with the same style!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:29 am

Yes but we all know he will return under another name, I read some posts of his and he said you just have to delete some info and register under another name - so easy to do. We will have to watch out for a new user with the same style!
yes your probably right what is his problem anyway?????
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
yes your probably right what is his problem anyway?????
Probably a child pretending to be a grown up!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:07 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

It's actually not as easy as that - but I can't reveal my sources!!

Anyway, they've been banned so let's leave it at that and get this thread back on topic please.

Now, where were we ...
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi guys
HHmm. I suppose that depends on the teenager doesn't it. You can't hold onto your kids eh ? They grow up and want to do their own thing.

I think it is normal these days for those in their late teens to try out different places in the world for a few years.

You can choose what you both feel is right for your family now. Later on, your kids will choose what they feel is right for them in their lives. I think it's a bit of pot luck for parents to be honest. My Dad thought I would always be close to where he lives. I was nearly 50 when I finally left for NZ.