Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Short visit back to UK

Short visit back to UK

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short visit back to UK

A quick question on visa's. As part of the court conditions for allowing us to take my son out of the UK to live in NZ, we had to agree to send him back over the christmas period to visit his mother. We are currently applying for permanent residency and ITA will be submitted at end of July. We are hoping to emigrate in October.

The question is whether there is any special permission or visa needed to allow him to come back to the UK this Xmas and then return home to NZ bearing in mind we will have only have taken up residence for about 2 months when he has to come back for a couple of weeks?

Thanks

Moomoo
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short visit back to UK

Hi moomoo,

I believe his passport will have a returning residents visa, valid for two years. Think I've also read somewhere on NZIS site that you have to spend at least 6 months in total in NZ for the first 2 years. After two years, your RRV has to be reapplied for cos without that, you can't get back in!
'm quite sure that if any of my info not quite on the nail, someone will be along to correct it.
Have you thought of emailing NZIS? I have in the past and they have been great at answering my questions.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:43 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

I'm under the same impression as Chippy.

We've had a bit on the news of late with regards to children traveling unacompanied. Apparently most airlines now no longer permit children under the age of 14 to travel without an adult. Don't know if this will be a problem for you as you don't say age so I may be jumping the gun with this comment.

Pauline
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines used to provide an Unaccompanied Minors' service (I used to work for BA and SAA) which was free. I know BA started charging for this a few years ago. Had quick look on Air NZ site - they say under 5's not accepted for travel alone and for 5 - 11yr olds you must contact them to make booking i.e. not online. No mention of standard charge but I guess they would inform you when booking. You would also pay an adult fare!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comments- I will confirm with NZIS. he is 14- 15 in January- so don't really see the travelling alone will be an issue.

Moomoo
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

You could be really mean Moomoo and ask for him to be treated as an Unaccompanied Minor - can just see him sitting with the younger kids, with a red and white stripy tag around his neck!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

hey what a great idea- payback for the cheek we get........