Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping- what do you wish you had or hadn't taken?!

Shipping- what do you wish you had or hadn't taken?!

Old Aug 17th 2019, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Clippy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping- what do you wish you had or hadn't taken?!

me again!

luckily my employer is paying to ship my stuff over so I've not got to be quite as ruthless as I may have otherwise been!

just wondered what tips people have on what to bring? I was thinking of having a declutter and then bringing pretty much everything else!

I'll obviously leave basket type things and get rid of untreated wood stuff like some of my Xmas decs. Planning on bringing my garden furniture after giving it a good scrub with jeyes fluid or similar.

Wondering if all my electrucals will work with adaptors as if they will I was going to bring them. I've only used phone chargers and hair tools while I've been there. Will leave kitchen white goods though!

thanks in advance
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping- what do you wish you had or hadn't taken?!

There's nothing you will wish you hadn't brought. If you have stuff that's in reasonably good nick, that you will have to be replaced in NZ, just bring it. You really won't ever regret bringing stuff but will most likely mourn the loss of anything and everything that you leave behind.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Bring it all. Whatever you decide you don't need just chuck it on TradeMe or your local Facebook Buy/Sell group to onsell.
Your electrical goods will work - same voltage & frequency here. It is just the plug top/socket that is different. We still have a few items still going strong that we bought in the UK and all I've done is chopped off the UK plug and replaced with a $3 NZ one. The adapters are ok for temporary use but they break easily which is why I just bought a couple NZ plug tops each time we went shopping and slowly replaced them.
There's nothing wrong with bringing basket type things and all that jazz so long as you declare it as all MPI will do is inspect it (for a small fee) and let you know if it'll need any further treatment or not. The only thing I wouldn't bring is the lawnmower, strimmer etc as they are a pain to clean 100%. They aren't hugely expensive here.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving in 6 weeks (packers start in 5 weeks!!!!!) and we are shipping a 40 foot container with as much stuff as we can bring. We renovated our house five years ago so everything is pretty new, and I have replaced a few items of furniture with things I have been coveting but couldn't justify until I realised how much they would cost in NZ. At the moment our box room is filled with the stuff we are not taking and it is gradually being sold, recycled or sent to the charity shop. Re. baskets, we had mixed info - PSS (who we are using) seemed quite chilled and just advised that the rougher weave stuff isn't worth taking, Bournes were somehwere in the middle, and Pickfords said not to take anything as the potential cost to treat or destoy was prohibative. I think I'm going to take 2-3 of my favourite ones and give the rest away.
My big (cleaning) worry at the moment is the tent and I will feel better once that is done.