Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping out a Motorbike to NZ

Shipping out a Motorbike to NZ

Old Sep 19th 2005, 8:03 am
Just Joined

bosshog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping out a Motorbike to NZ

Does anyone know how the costs of storage and shipping a motorbike out to NZ? Would any modifications have to be made? My husbands biggest fear is having to leave his beloved Harley behind. Any advice would be welcome.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Panda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping out a Motorbike to NZ

Originally Posted by bosshog
Does anyone know how the costs of storage and shipping a motorbike out to NZ? Would any modifications have to be made? My husbands biggest fear is having to leave his beloved Harley behind. Any advice would be welcome.
Hi there,

Not too sure if there'll be any additional costs involved, I think the bike just goes into the same container as the rest of your belongings (as long as you have room!)

The bike will have to be drained of all fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, petrol etc..) though.

Also, if you've owned the bike for less than 12 months then you'll have to pay NZ GST when it lands. Actually you're only allowed to import one vehicle per person tax free.

HTH

PP
x
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the speedy reply, Do you know who the best company will be to ask about costs etc.

Thanks again. Info very useful.

Karan
x[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:19 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

The bike will have to be drained of all fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, petrol etc..) though.

This is not actually the case, or at least wasn't when we imported ours in 2002. The requirement was less than 1/4 tank of petrol and spotlessly clean. If i remember rightly we dissconected the battery too but thats it.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help. He might feel happier knowing that he might be able to take his bike over. Any idea of costs?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:46 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Thats interesting. I was gonna sell mine. Might shove it in the container now....
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Shipping out a Motorbike to NZ

Just a word of warning from one who knows--Bike theft over here is almost an Olympic event, especially Harley's--a Motorcycle Club called "Ulysses"(not sure if I have spelt that right) and they are a genuine bunch of dedicated enthuiasts--will no doubt give/help/advise you better than I can.

Ride safe--watch out for Kiwi drivers, they are the worlds worst.

If anyone wants a friend for life--bring me out any wideline framed Norton Dominator--any condition!

Last edited by Tooanfrom; Sep 22nd 2005 at 8:09 am. Reason: Addition
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information. Very useful indeed. Certainly gave us something to think about.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: Shipping out a Motorbike to NZ

Originally Posted by bosshog
Thanks for the information. Very useful indeed. Certainly gave us something to think about.

Am leaving my Suzuki DR650 here as its just blown the exhaust and I can't be bothered etc. It's an old ish Trail bike and great fun to ride. Will get something similar when eventually arrive in NZ, any idea on cost of similar 2nd hand bike?( will sell mine in Uk for approx £1000)
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Mark'n'Sarah--try this site=www.biketrader.co.nz.

If you are off roaders welcome to paradise!

Tarmac riders are not loved --altho the revenue gatherers(Police) will adore you.

Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice

Cheers - great site that.
Off roader meself!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Many moons ago when the world was young and I was stupid(1958/9) me and a geezer named Ronnie Grant used to throw a 500cc Norton and a 250 Velo round Brands and other circuits.
He went on to emigrate to the States and raced Suziki's-he died in suspicious circumstances off the coast of Ireland in a boat explosion--weird old world ain't it.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
Many moons ago when the world was young and I was stupid(1958/9) me and a geezer named Ronnie Grant used to throw a 500cc Norton and a 250 Velo round Brands and other circuits.
He went on to emigrate to the States and raced Suziki's-he died in suspicious circumstances off the coast of Ireland in a boat explosion--weird old world ain't it.

Sorry to hear that mate.
Sounds like you both lived the life tho!!

500 Norton round Brands Hatch. Lovely.