Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping of Goods and NZ Customs (AGAIN!!!!!!!)

Shipping of Goods and NZ Customs (AGAIN!!!!!!!)

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Question Shipping of Goods and NZ Customs (AGAIN!!!!!!!)

Sorry this is another post my previous one was a couple of days ago, I have now spoken to Customs regarding when I bring my stuff over, which I have paid for back in the UK already (by that I mean the packing, shipping and unpacking here). Now I have been told I have to also pay to get it into NZ. Which we have to do now, leaving my goods back in the UK is not an option.

I was told that I would have had an inventory from my storage people and that I would of filled it in regarding when I bought each piece and how much it cost new, my mum back in the UK has spoken to my storage company back in the UK and they said that the inventory is what they put inside the containers with the goods but they have never had to put all that information on before. (They are a worldwide company so they are not small timers)

Has this happened to anyone else who has recently got their goods, did you also have to put separate prices for each item and how long you had had them. I really need your help, the guy I spoke to at Customs completely baffled me. Someone please answer, helpful answers only please.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping of Goods and NZ Customs (AGAIN!!!!!!!)

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
Sorry this is another post my previous one was a couple of days ago, I have now spoken to Customs regarding when I bring my stuff over, which I have paid for back in the UK already (by that I mean the packing, shipping and unpacking here). Now I have been told I have to also pay to get it into NZ. Which we have to do now, leaving my goods back in the UK is not an option.

I was told that I would have had an inventory from my storage people and that I would of filled it in regarding when I bought each piece and how much it cost new, my mum back in the UK has spoken to my storage company back in the UK and they said that the inventory is what they put inside the containers with the goods but they have never had to put all that information on before. (They are a worldwide company so they are not small timers)

Has this happened to anyone else who has recently got their goods, did you also have to put separate prices for each item and how long you had had them. I really need your help, the guy I spoke to at Customs completely baffled me. Someone please answer, helpful answers only please.
Who are your movers ??

We had to pay a duty when it arrived but it was only $200 i think ......... they should have a copy of the inventory in their office id imagine??
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath

Hi, we had an inventory, (but we were going directly on a PR, are you? We paid zero tax). However we did have to put down the value of everything re marine ins...as they charge you a % of the total cost of the box if lost. To put it in the box is madness...you need a copy for ins. purposes at least!!

I understand that any new stuff into NZ does have a duty charged on it. Your shippers surely MUST be able to help you out??
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Erm. No ! This is about the changes to policy.

Before, those that came in on visitors visas and then took up work permits or PR could bring in their household possessions and not be charged duty - gst. Now, the rules have changed. Those that came into the country on visitors visas are being charged duty on their household effects, even though they may now hold the relevant permits or residency.

This has nothing to do with whether the import is new or not. It is about your status when you enter the country. If your status is as a visitor , then import duty is due and it now seems there is now no waiver or recourse to this.

Enter as a visitor in the first instance and regardless of subsequent permits/visas you may obtain, those goods you bring in will be liable for duty .

There will be a Bill of Lading. There may also be an estimate for marine insurance. [Marine Insurance is not obligatory.]

Originally Posted by alanmmac
We had to pay a duty when it arrived but it was only $200 i think ......... they should have a copy of the inventory in their office id imagine??
No. This was not import duty. I would hazard a guess that this was MAF charges. That is not the same thing at all. MAF charges need to be watched if you are using a third party delivery service.

Julie is talking about actual import duty. She wishes to bring her household effects into NZ.

They came into NZ on visitors visas but decided to stay , so uplifted work permits.

As they came in on visitors visas , Customs and Excise are saying they must pay duty on the container of goods they import into this country.

It used to be that if you came in on a visitors visa but then obtained the required work permit or PR , the import duty charges would be waived.

It seems this is no longer the case.

Has anyone any knowledge of this?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:26 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Yes this info is correct Bevs, the new ruling about havng to pay for your goods if you only entered NZ on your passport, and no Visa, is right, it came into affect the day after we claimed our goods, we were very lucky, after showing our newly obtained work visa, on about the 14th Dec, can't be precise on that, but it was around then.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

newtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nice

Sorry, hijacking moment.....
We are going to have to enter NZ on visitors (long story), then finalise our work visas when there. By the time our stuff lands & clears customs, we'll have the relevant visas - would we still get charged tax?

If this is the case, it throws a massive spanner in the works. Any ways around this?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

simonmarkellis will be able to answer your questions on this topic as he has first hand experience!

Can't you come in on visitors visas, obtain your work permits (multiple entry), hop over to Oz and then come back in on your work permit status before your container arrives?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

newtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nice

Would that work? sounds like it might...
It's all such a minefield of blah & can't seem to get my head around.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello I'm here, it might work provided you left NZ still as visitors and applied for work visa from OZ. If you did enter as visitors and then stayed and obtained work visa's you'd have to pay the GST. Now saying that they only charge the VAT on the value of the goods that you yourself estimate the cost of replacement at to your packers. So your in a no win situation. Under value the replacement costs of your goods to your shipper and save a bundle on the gst with customs, but if anything happens you'll just get back what you've valued it at... We valued the total cost of our goods that we shipped to be in the region of $45k and was charged $2.5k in gst. Retrun flights to Oz for two are in the region of $1200, so you'll have to weigh everything up... Flights to oz, accomodation, food etc, etc, etc.... would you save much?

P.S - I'm still appealling against my charge and still haven't heard anything!!!
Old May 4th 2008, 9:31 am
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all

Just happened across this thread whilst researching other entry options. EOI looking like rejection without a job offer by 15th May Trying to get a job from UK not easy but still trying.
Back to the point now. Is it possible to come in on visitors visa then find a job, following that can I leave the family in NZ and come back to the UK alone, go to NZ House London and get work permit then export all and sundry and re-enter NZ with WP.
From what I have read a return ticket will be cheaper than import GST.

Any help would be great

Martin and Jo
Old May 4th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marjol
Just happened across this thread whilst researching other entry options. EOI looking like rejection without a job offer by 15th May Trying to get a job from UK not easy but still trying.
Back to the point now. Is it possible to come in on visitors visa then find a job, following that can I leave the family in NZ and come back to the UK alone, go to NZ House London and get work permit then export all and sundry and re-enter NZ with WP.
From what I have read a return ticket will be cheaper than import GST.

Any help would be great

Martin and Jo
Of ourse you can do it this way...no problem, just expensive! The amount of GST you pay will depend on how much you value your goods with your packers. The more you value them, the more GST you'l pay, but if anything happens the more you can claim! I did it like yourself and rather than return tickets to the UK I bought outbound tickets to Oz and never used them. Best of luck!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Well five months after appealling against the amount of GST i was charged, i have just received a cheque for the full amount in the post today. I wasn't expecting it all back, but hey, I ain't going to complain. Just in time to pay for Welly Wife's 40th in Sept... in one hand out the next i suppose!!!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Well five months after appealling against the amount of GST i was charged, i have just received a cheque for the full amount in the post today. I wasn't expecting it all back, but hey, I ain't going to complain. Just in time to pay for Welly Wife's 40th in Sept... in one hand out the next i suppose!!!
Hey, Really glad you got it all back, I should think so as well. At least with your wifes birthday (if you have a party) you will be able to drink away some of the money.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Elsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Well done Simon, great news!

We have now just received our Work Visas having arrived here back in April 08 on a Visitors Visa - we have just instructed our shippers (PSS) to send our goods over. So we are definitely interested in your case. I assume that you originally contested the amount of GST charged as you thought it was too high - do they itemise where the charges fall? No wonder you were surprised at the total amount being refunded.

Certainly will be thinking of this when we get our bill....we valued our goods for insurance purposes at a total of approx. $20k. We only have 6 cubic feet of stuff, none of which is new, so we are hoping for a minimal charge - if its okay we'll keep you posted as we may need any tips you may have on how to approach customs on unacceptable charges.

Cheers
Lyn
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

No problem... pm me anytime happy to help if i can!