Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

SEN in mainstream school?

SEN in mainstream school?

Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:16 am
Just Joined

mamagoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SEN in mainstream school?

We are currently in the decision making process of whether to plunge into the EOI pool but have some questions I was hoping someone might be able to help with. My son (13) has asperghers syndrome, he is currently home educated but has expressed an jnterest in trying school again if we were in a new country! Does anyone know if like the UK, NZ allow SEN pupils to attend mainstream school? He has always attended mainstream here and not sure his condition is severe enough to warrant a special needs school place. Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:25 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SEN in mainstream school?

Hi mamagoose, and welcome to the forum

Here's a link that might be of some use to you until posters with more knowledge come along:
Services and support - Ministry of Education
Good luck with your planning and pondering - yell out if you need any help navigating the forum (e.g. there's a NZ wiki in the 'wiki' links in the blue bar above ^^^^ )
Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:46 am
Just Joined

mamagoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SEN in mainstream school?

Thanks Bourbon biscuit. From a quick glance it looks similar to UK. My mind is set on moving but finding it tricky to find a job for hubby that is accredited in his field. There are no employers on the list for his job role and all other vacancies we find require a visa! Good old catch 22. If we want it badly enough it will work out in the end!