Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Self Employment seems like the only option

Self Employment seems like the only option

Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

ingusbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Employment seems like the only option

Hey everyone, just wanted to sound you out about an idea I've had. I have been looking for work now since last Winter and have had one interview in all that time. I know how hard it is to get work right now and just do not want to commute into Wellington.

I have been thinking about setting up a helping hands type service for locals (people who are too busy/the elderly, etc) just offering services like collecting their shopping, posting letters, etc.

Has anyone tried this before or have any thoughts or advice for me please.
Would appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:10 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Employment seems like the only option

Hi,

Now I love this idea and heard about it from a conference in Wellington at the end of last year. They have just set this up in NZ and I believe it may be a franchise.

Have a read and see if it's what you were thinking of.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. Yes I just had a look at this website, cute. I wondered if it would work if I decided to "go it alone." I don't have enough money to buy a franchise right now.

I do charity work for Age Concern in my spare time and the lady I visit has to pay for a taxi when she wants to go the Doctors, etc.

Do you think there is some mileage in it? If you pardon the pun! LOL
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:40 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't see why not - your start up costs would be pretty minimal, just marketing really.

We looked at a Franchise for what we wanted to do and they wanted $100,000 for basically the use of their name and some business cards! We set up on our own and are doing just fine. Plus every $ we make is ours.

The best form of marketing we have found that may also work for your idea is radio advertising and signwriting your vehicle. Even if you're not working, drive round and round in your vehicle and people soon remember you. Also I would recommend you get an 0800 to your mobile, I have this with Telecom. It seems people don't like calling a mobile number, probably more so the elderly, because of the cost. Also it means you keep work and home phone separate.

Try your local Chamber of Commerce and they will have a BizInfo or similiar for free start up advise. After that they make have some Enterprise Training which is free and may give you some good ideas.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I don't think I can have an 0800 number on my cell though as I am on Vodafone super prepay not contract.

Will look into it though....