Reload this Page >

Secondary schooling

Secondary schooling

Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:52 am
Just Joined

happychick is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Secondary schooling

Greetings to all

Am emigrating to NZ in about 6 mths time, with my 16 year old daughter, when she has completed GCSEs/Year 11 at her current school.

Can anyone give me any info on Years 12 & 13 schooling in NZ schools - am not having much luck trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff on the government education website. Have seen something on this website about "decile" rankings??? Daughter is keen to study maths, physics and biology in her last years at school and is thinking about doing either veterinary science or engineering at uni. Although hubby-to-be's job is in Wellington [he's just gone out there this weeek], we are considering the Otaki area to live.

Any pointers/info anyone can give me on the topics above will be very gratefully received! Myself & daughter are going out for 2 weeks over Easter to have a looke-see/recce.

Many thanks

Happychick
Old Feb 27th 2005, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

SA Expat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Secondary schooling

Hi there
If you do settle in or near to Wellington then check out Chilton St James School where my daughter attends. It is really good - also Samuel Marsden School where they also do the Cambridge A levels as well as the NCEA. They are both private schools and even if your daughter does not go to them, they would at least be in a position to answer any queries you may have. My nephew attended Kings College in Auckland where he did the A levels and is now studying Chemical Engineering. Good luck.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Kim & Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happychick
Greetings to all

Am emigrating to NZ in about 6 mths time, with my 16 year old daughter, when she has completed GCSEs/Year 11 at her current school.

Can anyone give me any info on Years 12 & 13 schooling in NZ schools - am not having much luck trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff on the government education website. Have seen something on this website about "decile" rankings??? Daughter is keen to study maths, physics and biology in her last years at school and is thinking about doing either veterinary science or engineering at uni. Although hubby-to-be's job is in Wellington [he's just gone out there this weeek], we are considering the Otaki area to live.

Any pointers/info anyone can give me on the topics above will be very gratefully received! Myself & daughter are going out for 2 weeks over Easter to have a looke-see/recce.

Many thanks

Happychick
Hi I am also emigrating to NZ when my 16 year old daughter finishes her exams in June this year. We are looking to live in the henderson area of Auckland as I have a job to start there in July. We have also been unable to get a great deal of information regarding schooling in NZ. A useful site is the NZ school reports webpage NZ similar to our ofsted which you can find at the following address.
www.ero.govt.nz/reports/Indexsearch.htm
Good luck,
Kim
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

happychick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim & Gary
Hi I am also emigrating to NZ when my 16 year old daughter finishes her exams in June this year. We are looking to live in the henderson area of Auckland as I have a job to start there in July. We have also been unable to get a great deal of information regarding schooling in NZ. A useful site is the NZ school reports webpage NZ similar to our ofsted which you can find at the following address.
www.ero.govt.nz/reports/Indexsearch.htm
Good luck,
Kim
Hi
Thank you to both Kim and SA Expat for the info on Wellington private schools [will definitely arrange for a look-see at these when we go over later this month] and for the info re: the ERO site - just got to let my fingers do the walking now!
Cheers