Schools

Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of
Default Schools

Hi

Thinking of going to New Zealand, although havent totally ruled out Australia.
Can anyone tell us about the quality of schooling in New Zealand, particularly Christchurch and Canterbury. My children are currently 2 and nearly 4. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

paulb
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools

Originally Posted by paulb
Hi

Thinking of going to New Zealand, although havent totally ruled out Australia.
Can anyone tell us about the quality of schooling in New Zealand, particularly Christchurch and Canterbury. My children are currently 2 and nearly 4. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

paulb
Hello Paul. Schools have a decile rating reflecting the soscio/economic makeup. The higher the rating[ten being the highest] the less money the school recieves from the govt. The shortfall is made up by parents donations, fund raising etc. Expect to pay around $400 p.a. for a decile 10. The top state schools perform as well and often better than the private sector but housing by NZ standards tends to be high in these zones. Anecdotal evidence would suggest that the majority of new immigrants are pleasently surprised how well and happy there children are at school. I am including a link for Macleans College a state school about $400 p.a. and there are others like it in the state sector. Cheers binman http://www.macleans.school.nz/events/2004/24_02_04.htm

Last edited by binman; Feb 16th 2005 at 10:40 pm.