School uniform!

Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

CRBGLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School uniform!

Hi there everyone...hoping someone can help. I've been looking at the cost of school uniform (primary) in nz and it is soooo expensive! Im used to buying packs of 3 white polo shirts, 2 trs pack, jumpers all from sainsburys really cheap! Has anyone got any experience of nz schools allowing this? I was thinking maybe to bulk buy from the uk before we arrive. My son is a nightmare, totally wrecks his clothes. I've already gone through over 12 polos since sept and 8 pairs of trs! So as you can imagine, it's going to work out VERY costly if I have to buy nz school uniform.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School uniform!

Most of the polos have the emblem stiched into them and are only available through the schools
The kids wear shorts most of the time so no knees in trousers to get scuffed but again available
from schools or only very few other shops. They can get VERY snotty about colours being "regulation"
and some even get uppity about shoes.
some schools do have used stuff available which is cheaper but its still expensive....not good news I'm afraid
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:28 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRBGLH
......it's going to work out VERY costly if I have to buy nz school uniform.
NZ uniform is pretty durable (or at least it used to be) and nothing like a pack of polos from Asda or Sainsburys, so you shouldn't have the same rate of attrition. I'd bet lots of the UK garments wouldn't like all that wear, washing and the sun too much, so if you do have problems then you can try to dry them out of the sun - lots of Kiwis have washing lines in their garage for the very purpose, and of course because the weather changes so often

you won't get away with "almost right" uniform in most schools but as Col says the uniform tends to be re-used through families and school based second hand stalls. they also get some money to the schools.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny when you first arrive seeing 15 and 16 yr olds going to school in shorts and long socks
but you soon get used to it
Old Dec 11th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Think it depends where you are going to. Most state primary schools in Wellington don't have a uniform and the kids go along in tatty jeans, wear whatever they like. Then when they go to College they suddenly have to smarten up. Although there are a couple of Wellington Colleges with no uniform and they are not low-decile. Private sector has 4 years olds trounced up in shirts, ties and blazers on hot summer days...very 1950s lol.

They sometimes have stupid rules (maybe private sector only) on short trousers in summer and long trousers in winter, ditto shirt sleeves. This doubles your costs as your kids grow so fast. I complied with trousers but kept to long shirts on skin-cancer grounds.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

We've been quite lucky with our 2, especially when they were at college. only things we had to buy here (apart from when they first started)were skirts for daughter, the rest, shirts, jumpers, trousers we had a steady supply coming from tesco's via family. And I must say, the 3 quid jumpers & 2 quid shirts last a lot longer than the $80 jumpers & $30 shirts
Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
We've been quite lucky with our 2, especially when they were at college. only things we had to buy here (apart from when they first started)were skirts for daughter, the rest, shirts, jumpers, trousers we had a steady supply coming from tesco's via family. And I must say, the 3 quid jumpers & 2 quid shirts last a lot longer than the $80 jumpers & $30 shirts
If the UK brands happen to be the right colour, I think you would get away with it especially at Junior level.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:50 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

I get the black bottoms (skirts, shorts and trousers) from Tesco when family are coming across, or from Markies sent out as they ship out here.
And then just kit out each kid with a couple of the regulation polo's and school jerseys.

Still expensive, 2 tops and 2 jerseys for one that has just started school was $130.00
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

CRBGLH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all...thanks for the info. I can get lots of school wear from Sainsburys as I'll be back at least once a year. I'm just hoping the school my son goes to in Auckland is not too harsh if it's a uniform. He totally wrecks things. Take today for example...new on polo shirt...BIG hole in the chest areas....wrecked! So as you can imagine....I'm not looking forward to the school uniform bills, that's why I'm hoping for a cheaper option! Don't know what school he's going to yet ...Auckland...that's where my job is, but which school I don't know until I find a rental..
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

expensive we just bought uniform for intermediate only one supplier the School and no deviation! $350 later without shoes and specific sports trainiers all before xmas and then in Jan stationery again only from the school think I need a loan! let alone donation etc! and this is only for 2 years!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough

From our experience (kids been to a primary in Auckland and now in Taupo), they have to wear the school uniform, no deviations. They wear shorts all year round, no trousers and is very durable. My kids have two sets only of polo tops and shorts. Dont bother with expensive shoes ...... they take them off as soon as they get to school and then walk home barefooted !!!! There are always school gala's where 2nd hand stuff can be bought as well.