School Fees???

Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Scott2105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Fees???

Does anybody know if I would be required to pay $12000 school fees if my 15yr old attends a state school. Also, do you pay fees for primary school education?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:24 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: School Fees???

Originally Posted by Scott2105
Does anybody know if I would be required to pay $12000 school fees if my 15yr old attends a state school. Also, do you pay fees for primary school education?
hi..no you only pay small contributions..$100 or so.....but one of NZ's redeeming features is its extremely cheap private schooling...good quality also....cheers
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by howardk
hi..no you only pay small contributions..$100 or so.....but one of NZ's redeeming features is its extremely cheap private schooling...good quality also....cheers
Thank you. I was getting concerned as every school website I looked at had a page for international students and mentioned the fees. With 2 daughters still at school it was a bit of a worry.

As you mentioned private schools, is there anything particularly wrong with the state schools?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by howardk
$100 dollars I wish,we are $400 for daughter and $300 for son,plus $350 for school uniforms(each)and thats just the winter uniform,you have almost same again for summer uniform,then you have the books to buy(about another $150-$200)each..plus all the trip money you have to pay out...expensive business here sending kids to school....Jacky
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you. I was getting concerned as every school website I looked at had a page for international students and mentioned the fees. With 2 daughters still at school it was a bit of a worry.

As you mentioned private schools, is there anything particularly wrong with the state schools?
nothing wrong with state schools,but look at the decile rating of the school,the lower the decile rating the more goverment funding is provided which means the less you have to pay...the higher the decile the less goverment funding,which means you have to pay more...
the decile rating tells you the socio economic group that attend the school..the higher the decile tends to be more affluent areas...the lower decile would tend to be a less affluent comunity...don't be confused with the education though,just because its a lower decile doesn't mean they are not getting a good education..hope this helps..Jacky
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garryhg
nothing wrong with state schools,but look at the decile rating of the school,the lower the decile rating the more goverment funding is provided which means the less you have to pay...the higher the decile the less goverment funding,which means you have to pay more...
the decile rating tells you the socio economic group that attend the school..the higher the decile tends to be more affluent areas...the lower decile would tend to be a less affluent comunity...don't be confused with the education though,just because its a lower decile doesn't mean they are not getting a good education..hope this helps..Jacky
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. I'm guessing that regardless of how low the decile rating, I will still have to meet the same costs that you mentioned re.uniform etc..
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the info. I had no idea. I'm guessing that regardless of how low the decile rating, I will still have to meet the same costs that you mentioned re.uniform etc..
I think the lower decile schools arn't quite as bad (cost wise with uniforms)..The school my daughter attends you can only buy the uniform from the school...so it is very costly...My sons school,you can only buy his uniform from 1 certain menswear shop in Howick,which again makes it quite costly,as they have the monopoly on this...some of the lower decile schools(in some rural areas ,don't bother with uniform at all...)but if they do you tend to be able to buy them from a selection of cheaper stores..hope this helps...Jacky
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:24 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

my daughter has been at intemediate school for a year now and I havent paid anything??... and my other Daughter gets home schooled, and I get paid.... her choice not mine btw
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:25 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

when I say nothing I mean nothing for her schooling, but paid for the uniform, but I dont mind that
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

The 'international school fees' are only payable if you're without a work permit or permanent residency. If you have either of these (or WTR) then the state school education is free, but donations are requested and you have to sometimes pay activity/material fees.

My son is going to college (but at intermediate level, he's 11) in Feb and the uniform, materials, books and donations costs are going to set us back around $1000! This is before any trip money and other extra-curricular activities Thank the lord I only have one starting college at once!