Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:44 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

It is voluntary, and in the area that I live it definitely IS socially expected that you'll pay - you can tell this by the decile of the school.

The fewer parents that pay the voluntary donation means that the government is forced to topup the basic amount that the school receives from the government. So if everyone chose not to pay then the average tax payer would have to pay more, hence taxes rise etc. As it stands if you pay the voluntary donation then you know that that money is directly going into funding the school - it means that the playground gets upgraded, the sports equipment is replaced, there are additional teachers at the school meaning class sizes are smaller....

I repeat and agree it is a voluntary donation, and I for one for as long as I am financially able have no problem whatsoever in paying the donation when I can see the immediate benefits for my children.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
It is voluntary, and in the area that I live it definitely IS socially expected that you'll pay - you can tell this by the decile of the school.

The fewer parents that pay the voluntary donation means that the government is forced to topup the basic amount that the school receives from the government. So if everyone chose not to pay then the average tax payer would have to pay more, hence taxes rise etc. As it stands if you pay the voluntary donation then you know that that money is directly going into funding the school - it means that the playground gets upgraded, the sports equipment is replaced, there are additional teachers at the school meaning class sizes are smaller....

I repeat and agree it is a voluntary donation, and I for one for as long as I am financially able have no problem whatsoever in paying the donation when I can see the immediate benefits for my children.
Or is it that the more parents that pay the donation the more the government reduces funding and taxes?

If you wish to pay then fine that's your choice ... but do not criticize those that choose not to pay it.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:06 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Or is it that the more parents that pay the donation the more the government reduces funding and taxes?

If you wish to pay then fine that's your choice ... but do not criticize those that choose not to pay it.

Will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

NZ culture? It would seem that half in NZ don't pay "volutary donations"... http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&sou...pn0MoaR8DC-oKQ
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:41 pm

well I'm in the other half the population that does then, and by doing so supports the likes of parents like you.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Can we add a poll to this
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Hi all, Great idea!!! As my initial question was to find out what percentage of folk pay. As I have paid for the last 3 years I havnt had a problem with it as it does directly benefit the school , but the pressure the school then puts forward becomes abit of a bugbear . I then find out that only 56% of parents have paid and we are in a decile 10 school . It seems so unfair dosnt it ? I suppose as this year it is abit tight for us I should feel ok not paying for just one year ? My kids have a long time to go school yet so I have plenty of years to pay again.
I think my putting to a thread I can see if I can loose my guilt abit
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:32 am

good suggestion

Question - anyone been to the Auckland Museum and having been an Auckland resident - the $5 charge is a "suggested voluntary donation"..... do you pay?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I can try . What do you want for the poll Divine Comedy as this is your thread..

for example........

1 - I pay school donation but would prefer it was within taxation

2 - I am happy to pay school donation

3 - I do not pay school donation.

4 - I pay but it's a struggle

5 - I cannot afford to pay.

etc.

or simply

1 - I pay school donation

2 - I do not pay school donation

....which might not work real well considering most on here are expats, not Kiwis .

There was an explanation put forward a while ago that the 'voluntary donation' system for part of the school funding was so kiwis were able to claim tax back for the money spent.

FWIW. The voluntary donation system is accepted here in NZ as being simply the way it is. It is a part of the NZ system. It's not just about the odd raffle or school fete. It's a necessary part of overall funding if parents want 'stuff' for the school. It's not about fancy extras. On top of the 'voluntary donation' rate set, there is also extensive fund-raising. I rather see the 'voluntary donation' as a form of non-compulsory school fee. One is not shunned for not paying but it is better for the whole community and school if you do. Bit like the way that charities go about raising funds here. They need to be aggressively forward in the approach to catch those extra dollars as there are so many charities chasing very few people.

I'm not at all surprised that a fair amount of New Zealanders/ Kiwis can't or don't pay school funds. They probably simply cannot afford to.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

intresting the variation in donation in Wellingtn a decile 10 school my son went to the anuual amount was $120 plus swimming fees and stationery

in Auckland a decile 10 school $170 plus specific stationery totalling $100 plus term activity 21 per term plus $40 extra for waterwise oh and by the way a camp we are expecting to take all your kids on $176! also please can you come every week to help at waterwise and also volunteer to turn up at camp. On top of this the fundraising goes on with various activities the largest being a fete which raised $12k!

A friend of mine down the road has a daughter in a different school donation = $100 0r donate 10 hours of your time no donation
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

You do what is socially expected of you in a different country, it's part of embracing the culture of the country you're moving to. If you have no intention of paying regardless of your ability then don't come. If however you emigrate and are struggling financially and it's not possible to pay - then it's questionable whether you should be allowed into the country in the first instance .... because then you are a drain on the tax paying rest.... why should I pay for a new immigrant who has managed to find funds to pay for visas, tickets, removal companies, setting themselves up in New Zealand, but suddenly cannot find the equivalent of 50pounds a term to contribute to the running of the school?

Divine Comedy's situation is poles apart though - contributing year on year and then having a tough year and finding it difficult to pay is completely different.
Sorry that is total rubbish.
Donations are donations. Fees are fees.
Your diatribe is quite simply gobbledegook.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Answer me one question then.
Why isnt it a FEE?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:30 am

I'm really interested to know from those who respond with the opposite opinion of myself:
- what decile school do your children go to?
- are you happy with the facilities at the school?
- what are the average class sizes for the school?
- without being too specific is it a rural or city school?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

this is a great thread
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rick78
this is a great thread
Really? Why do you find it so very funny considering, from what you write , you haven't arrived yet and are yet to settle here.

am awaiting the OP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.