Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice
Default Re: School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

Even my daughter's decile 10 primary school has low payment rates.
Yes they are tax deductable.
Citizens Advice Bureau recently ran an interesting column about it in local paper so they may well be able to fill you in on moral/legal? dilemma.
Our school gives you a discount for more than one child.
If you don't want to pay then don't, if you do and feel your child will be excluded from certain activities (unfair in my opinion) and you can afford it then do so or at least pay what you can afford if money is tight.
Unfortunately state education in NZ isn't free and yes as many of you will know there are many costs also throughout the years for sports, school trips etc.
I have just accepted it as part of NZ life, but then I have been here over 20 years and so am used to it.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:25 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bumptious
Even my daughter's decile 10 primary school has low payment rates. .
I don't know how this is possible as I have always understood that the decile of a school is an indicator of the percentage of parents who donate the voluntary contribution. ie decile 2 means low level of contribution, decile 10 means 92% or more of parents make the donation.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:28 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I don't know how this is possible as I have always understood that the decile of a school is an indicator of the percentage of parents who donate the voluntary contribution. ie decile 2 means low level of contribution, decile 10 means 92% or more of parents make the donation.
The Ministry page is here

"Census information is used to calculate the decile."
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

I think Simonsi is correct although I will read his info later on. I was led to believe that it is the general area/socio economic area that the school is in.
My daughter's school is in a 'well off suburb' but is not zoned, therefore anyone is able to be enrolled. We don't live in the same suburb but liked the school when we moved here from Auckland a few years ago and was also just around the corner from where we were first staying.
Alas we weren't prepared to pay higher house prices in same suburb.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

My son's college fees are in the region of $240 per year... that is not including any extra fees for sports, trips, etc.

The uniform costs are approx $110 school sweater, $50 school shorts, $45 school polo shirt, $12 for ONE pair of school socks, $24 PE shorts, $30 PE shirt. He needs 2-3 of these (except sweater), and cannot wear a normal raincoat but a school one at $120! Add to this the sports shoes, school shoes, stationery and other bits I have to provide throughout the year and it all tots up.

Last year he played soccer for the school team which my brother coached for FREE, and my husband co-coached and managed for FREE, we provided our own transport to and from games and NEVER had a teacher/sports teacher present for training or matches. The school charged us $70 per child to play for them!!

School DONATION per year, per child is $180, and an extra $20 for an optional yearbook.

I now do NOT pay the donations as I pay enough to put him through the school. I paid his donations and my son was turfed off a school swimming gala bus because the office told the teachers I hadn't paid... total and complete humiliation for my son in front of a coach load of pupils!! Not too good at 13yrs old

My other 2 children attend the local Primary school and I pay all their fees and donations as it's $60 each for donation and consumables (paper etc.), but they're included in everything and are given free sports sessions each and every week at no obligation!

Both decile 9 schools - completely different attitudes between the teachers
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:34 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to do some more research, but anytime a school (that any of mine have been at), has had a revision on the decile has been following an inspection and revised ERO report - suggesting it's linked to donations rather than following any census.

On another note - everyone else seems to be doing pretty well on the cost of their donations, mine are $400 per child for primary/intermediate. $385 per child for college. Then theres all the additional cost of uniforms etc ($600 for new college uniform this year). Plus stationery, books, sports etc etc. Also my pre-school has a "donation" of $2.30 for every "free ECE" hour - to subsidise the centre.

BUT I am happy to pay all this, because I can see where the money goes and get involved in it's spending too....
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
My son's college fees are in the region of $240 per year... that is not including any extra fees for sports, trips, etc.

The uniform costs are approx $110 school sweater, $50 school shorts, $45 school polo shirt, $12 for ONE pair of school socks, $24 PE shorts, $30 PE shirt. He needs 2-3 of these (except sweater), and cannot wear a normal raincoat but a school one at $120! Add to this the sports shoes, school shoes, stationery and other bits I have to provide throughout the year and it all tots up.

Last year he played soccer for the school team which my brother coached for FREE, and my husband co-coached and managed for FREE, we provided our own transport to and from games and NEVER had a teacher/sports teacher present for training or matches. The school charged us $70 per child to play for them!!

School DONATION per year, per child is $180, and an extra $20 for an optional yearbook.

I now do NOT pay the donations as I pay enough to put him through the school. I paid his donations and my son was turfed off a school swimming gala bus because the office told the teachers I hadn't paid... total and complete humiliation for my son in front of a coach load of pupils!! Not too good at 13yrs old

My other 2 children attend the local Primary school and I pay all their fees and donations as it's $60 each for donation and consumables (paper etc.), but they're included in everything and are given free sports sessions each and every week at no obligation!

Both decile 9 schools - completely different attitudes between the teachers
I'm now profoundly grateful that our cycles of IVF didn't work. Any resulting child would've been entering the world in debt as it was
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bumptious
Our school gives you a discount for more than one child.
You cant have a discount on a donation FFS!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Browner_
You cant have a discount on a donation FFS!
What is FFS? Our school also gives a discount on more than one child and if you pay early.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by simonsi
The Ministry page is here

"Census information is used to calculate the decile."
Thanks simonsi - I am totally re-educated on the decile element. Just found this link too which is interesting reading with regards to way the funding is divvied out.
http://www.kiwifamilies.co.nz/Topics...w/Deciles.html
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

What is FFS?

FFS
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d
What is FFS?

FFS
sorry, still don't know what it means..... old person here not up with abbreviations!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

It stands for "For Fox Sake".
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
What is FFS? Our school also gives a discount on more than one child and if you pay early.
For GOODNESS sake, you cant have a discount on a donation, its a bloody donation.
You can have a discount on a fee
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:52 am

And there's me thinking it's a technical abbreviation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.