Sat Nav ???

Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Sat Nav ???

We have a zillion and one things to organise which we are working our way through before we fly in January but one question has sprung to mind ........

Is it worth bringing Sat Nav over from the UK ??? Are all models compatible, do you need to "unlock" them ???

Is is worth buying/uploading NZ maps prior or can you get these from somewhere more reasonably once we get to NZ???

Apparently it is possible in NZ to download free maps onto Garmin Sat Nav's ?????? ..... does anyone have any knowledge of this ??????

Many thanks for your help..... it will hopefully prevent many arguments as my map reading skills are !!!!!

Cheers
Lou
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sat Nav ???

I can't speak for others, but I purchased a Garmin Sat. Nav. in the UK and brought it over.

The reason I got a Garmin, is because there are free map updates for it from the NZ Open GPS Project. Hopefully that link will work! I don't know if you need to register to login to the forums though.

There are a few technical issues to overcome (Caps to search, and so on) but they can be fixed and the forums are good at suggesting fixes for problems.

Maps are updated every 14 days or so, are about 25mb in size and are of course free! (No £50/update charges!).

Works for me, but others may suggest better alternatives.

David.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi we brought ours from UK and you can change the programme -it was worth it's weight in gold espcially when we first arrived - mind you I'd get lost on a one way street
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:57 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

By the time you've bought the new maps for your UK satnav, you may as well have bought the GPS from here. I bought a Tom Tom for $165 from Bond and Bond on a special offer but there are units out there from $185

Check these links

Noel Leeming

Bond and Bond

Dick Smith