sad about england

Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:14 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sad about england

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We did, however, find it even more bizarre that back in the UK we had to set off to our locally approved NZIS doctor and private hospital and part with the best part of 800 quid for my medical and chest xrays - even though I was returning to my husband's country of birth? Plus the PR fees and ligrant levy.
Yes bizarre. My (kiwi) hubbie didn't have so much as a blood test when applying for his British citizenship. (He had residency granted as a minor I think.) I believe it took him about 5 minutes to fill out the application form. He is bright mind, you could say one of Auckland's brain drain!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:17 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Yes bizarre. My (kiwi) hubbie didn't have so much as a blood test when applying for his British citizenship. (He had residency granted as a minor I think.) I believe it took him about 5 minutes to fill out the application form. He is bright mind, you could say one of Auckland's brain drain!
Strange how it can differ so much ... there was us thinking we were returning to his home country ... only after great expense.

Bloody worth it though!!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:32 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Bloody worth it though!!
Glad to hear it. Did you know the Papamoa area before moving? Haven't been to the Tauranga area.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:37 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

We have been on the downward spiral for years and years as have many other countries in the EU

INMHO

Too Liberal
Too PC
Too Lenient
Bad Parenting
We expect too much from Government who are too short term in approach
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

It seems we must have a lot of old sun, mirror and mail readers in here judging by the comments.
To the people saying the European immigrants are all coming to leach benefits, have you actually bothered to look at the figures of migrants claiming benefits? Only a few percent do. The rest actually work in the “menial” positions which UK folk refuse to do due to low pay.
Do a little research, the immigrants are actually getting the jobs because they are willing to work harder and for lower pay, it’s predominantly the native UK residents who are happy to live off the state. Also, due to rising education levels, there are many low paid jobs which the educated Brits refuse to do – the immigrants take up this slack.
The UK also has an aging population (a problem of most materialistic western economies), without all the immigrants to prop up the aging Brits – the UK would be in decline – especially when one sees the rate of emigration from the UK (only offset by the immigration levels).
So the immigrants are actually supporting the NHS, and the UK nationals who are happy to be on the dole, and the aging populations by paying their pensions. They are actually allowing the UK to remain a viable country.

Last edited by misterjingo; Aug 28th 2007 at 2:59 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by misterjingo
It seems we must have a lot of old sun, mirror and mail readers in here judging by the comments.
To the people saying the European immigrants are all coming to leach benefits, have you actually bothered to look at the figures of migrants claiming benefits? Only a few percent do. The rest actually work in the “menial” positions which UK folk refuse to do due to low pay.
Do a little research, the immigrants are actually getting the jobs because they are willing to work harder and for lower pay, it’s predominantly the native UK residents who are happy to live off the state. Also, due to rising education levels, there are many low paid jobs which the educated Brits refuse to do – the immigrants take up this slack.
The UK also has an aging population (a problem of most materialistic western economies), without all the immigrants to prop up the aging Brits – the UK would be in decline – especially when one sees the rate of emigration from the UK (only offset by the immigration levels).
So the immigrants are actually supporting the NHS, and the UK nationals who are happy to be on the dole, and the aging populations by paying their pensions. They are actually allowing the UK to remain a viable country.
I totally agree with what you say, I just think it is a sad state of affairs that this is how it is becoming.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:07 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Well Said misterjingo,

and I thought I would be leaving those w**kers behind

ned
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

FishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really nice

Originally Posted by misterjingo
I think you'll find that the Eastern Europeans are little different to native Brits and won't want to take the low paid jobs themselves for long.
There was a report out last week which showed they could no longer get them to fill the low paid agricultural vacancies (picking) and that 41% (up from 27% IIRC) now wanted 'admin jobs' so as to be able to sit an their arse, attend daily 'meetings', and do nothing like real true Brits.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

Originally Posted by FishermansFriend
I think you'll find that the Eastern Europeans are little different to native Brits and won't want to take the low paid jobs themselves for long.
There was a report out last week which showed they could no longer get them to fill the low paid agricultural vacancies (picking) and that 41% (up from 27% IIRC) now wanted 'admin jobs' so as to be able to sit an their arse, attend daily 'meetings', and do nothing like real true Brits.
And people say immigrants dont adopt our culture ... in a weird way I'm proud
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

They're learning quickly
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:19 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt you'll find many churches in Saudi !

Though not a regular church goer myself I think the people that do attend set themselves, and expect from those around, them higher standards than those we now see in general UK society.
When was the last time you heard of someone being mugged by a choirboy or having their car stolen by a church warden?
I fail to see the difference between a church, mosque or synagogue - they all worship the same god.

I was pointing out that the economist measurements added value for attending church, in which case a country like Saudi with a high attendance to their church (mosque if you want to be pedantic) would score well.

I am not sure I agree about church attendance having higher standards - aside from the buggering of choirboys, the church has not exactly had a gleaming role in the equality of women or gay people for instance. Possibly a church goer may be less likely to mug you, they also may be less likely to treat a gay person with equality.

Last edited by Cape Blue; Aug 28th 2007 at 9:37 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tehori
Hmm, another visitor to NZ who is an expert on Maori and
has been here how many months ?.

If NZ is a touch hard for you, all those brown faces, you can always run home to Bradford.

You may find this difficult, but you are the one trying to be
an immigrant, just like the Poles going to the UK.

We Maori were here first, and moving us is not an option,
at least not for British immigrants.

But, dear boy, you can always go and tell the Nga Puhi
what you think of them, that would be amusing.
Erm, why are you a member of "British Expats" , "tehori" ?
Have you ever heard of the Moriori people from NZ

This is a thread about England, btw
http://history-nz.org/moriori.html

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 28th 2007 at 9:26 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

there are many low paid jobs which the educated Brits refuse to do – the immigrants take up this slack.

Mr Jingle the influx to NZ from other pacific islands happened for the very same reason. I am old enough to remember the days when Kiwi's wouldn't work in factories or do manual work so employees were sourced from elsewhere in the Pacific.
Of course once the screws went on employment opportunities the Kiwi moan set in.

And before Brussel Sprout asks me why I am in here .

I joined to encourage a very homesick friend to join and participate. Unfortunately much of what she has recently read has turned her right off.

So you tell me ..... should I be here, or should I be banished because I only sleep with a UK immigrant ?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
there are many low paid jobs which the educated Brits refuse to do – the immigrants take up this slack.

Mr Jingle the influx to NZ from other pacific islands happened for the very same reason. I am old enough to remember the days when Kiwi's wouldn't work in factories or do manual work so employees were sourced from elsewhere in the Pacific.
Of course once the screws went on employment opportunities the Kiwi moan set in.

And before Brussel Sprout asks me why I am in here .

I joined to encourage a very homesick friend to join and participate. Unfortunately much of what she has recently read has turned her right off.

So you tell me ..... should I be here, or should I be banished because I only sleep with a UK immigrant ?
Bellasmum, i only said that because there seems to be many user-ids recently, who are thread "wreckers", this is probably all the work of a single person who is displeased with B.E, that's all, hopefully he/she/they will get bored soon

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 28th 2007 at 9:48 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

FishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I fail to see the difference between a church, mosque or synagogue - they all worship the same god.

I was pointing out that the economist measurements added value for attending church, in which case a country like Saudi with a high attendance to their church (mosque if you want to be pedantic) would score well.

I am not sure I agree about church attendance having higher standards - aside from the buggering of choirboys, the church has not exactly had a gleaming role in the equality of women or gay people for instance. Possibly a church goes may be less likely to mug you, they also may be less likely to treat a gay person with equality.

We obviously disagree on these points but rather than get into a theological discusion perhaps you should take it up with the Economist, who presumably went to a great deal of trouble and research to compile the survey and, from my own limited experience of the world, seem to have done a pretty good job. But if you think Quality of Life is better in the UK than in NZ that's fine - I guess we all have our own criteria to measure these things by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.