sad about england

Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future
Default Re: sad about england

We're off back to Blighty at Christmas for a visit/show off baby/see mates.

Hope it's not as bad as you make out! Only been away 2 yrs!

I saw on the news, a company in the South of England now does a line of school jumpers with military grade stab/slash proof kevlar lining. They already had a sucessful line of hoodies with the same lining.

Will this help with knife attacks on kids or will they start aiming for the face I wonder.

Hope they can turn around the rot before it's too late.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FishermansFriend
You sound like a spin doctor from Britains NuLabour party who's equating Gross Domestic Product (£notes) to Quality of Life (err...quality of life).
The two are not the same at all and the UK, for all it's economic success, is rated down at number 28 whilst New Zealand comes in at 15. So, if you just want to stick to statistics, NZ's almost twice as nice

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf

I think you'll also find that the UK has slipped even further down this index since 2005.

You'll also find that most of the UK's 'economic success' is enjoyed disproportionately, mainly by the 'top' 10 or 20% .
Erm, please read my point about twice as many immigrants as emigrants, England can't be that bad else there would be a net outflow. Educated Kiwis living in a high score country are leaving for Oz in droves too !
NuLabour ? Please see comment about Thatcher years, WHAT YE SOW YE SHALL REAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NZ is happier but poorer than England, i agree with that, yes
Erm, Cape Blue , Immigration is all European ? I don't understand what you are trying to say, is it relevant to the thread about England, the sky is blue too ?

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 28th 2007 at 8:25 am.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:45 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Sadly, it isn't just urban areas that are affected though. Many rural places just aren't the same. Whole families used to be able to stay together in the same village, now when the kids grow up they can't afford to buy in the same village so the family group has to be split, leading to a decline in the family support network. Big corporations have all but closed out the little corner shop, local produce, the traditional village high street. Yes, some of these are still around but the prices are higher and the supermarket giants have the buying power to undercut and hence many small family businesses go to the wall. The once affordable village housing is bought up by those with money from the cities, either for second homes, to let, or for a 'better lifestyle', with a commute of work from home.

The whole fabric of what made England what it was has been eroded beyond repair.

The discipline of children is now left to the children to decide, they seem to have more power than their parents or teachers and there is very little respect left for the police.

I'm not that old! But this decline seems to have only taken 20 years or so. What chance was there for my kids in a country that seems to have lost all sense of values, community spirit, respect, etc.

And as for the taxes! The harder you work, the more you try to improve your lot, the worse off you are! What was it being banded around before we left, tax on having a patio? or summerhouse in the garden? so you work hard but can't even have a nice garden without paying through the nose for it!

You wait, there's some bod right now working out lung capacity so they can tax you on your air intake and probably a separate CO2 emission tax
Good points made here, although many kiwis would say exactly the same about NZ. Speak to kiwis about first time home buyers and schools about discipline etc (eg Marlborough Boys Bullying problem in last week's paper). We have friends in Auckland whose families have been 'split up' due to this 'progress'.

I too do not understand your point about taxes? The UK is much more generous than NZ.

Just as the Polish love England for all the things that are different (better?) than Poland, I think immigrants to NZ perhaps feel the same.

As for NZ being safer, is it actually safer (per capita) or does it just feel that way? It's been debated before and I can't recall the conclusion.

Either way, I think it's great that you are happy with your move and delighted with your new life. Maybe what you feel is all that counts. I'm not sure how much of it is true to the country though - ie looking at the situation from a native's point of view and not as a migrant. They are two totally different viewpoints and thus looking at the UK from one point of view and NZ by another is not a fair and true comparison. Albeit the only one expats can make and is important to them personally since we only get one life and all that. Enjoy it as you are.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:04 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I too do not understand your point about taxes? The UK is much more generous than NZ.
Maybe for income tax, but UK has a lot of other taxes, other than income tax there's National Insurance, that's supposed to cover you for NHS and state pension, but NHS has been in crisis for years and state pension is such a joke you're 'encouraged' to top up with private plans and AVCs. If you work hard and progress up the ladder and earn a decent salary you get taxed at, what, 40%(?), (never earnt that much so not sure!) There's car tax, tax on insurances, 5% on each of your household contents and building insurances, in fact any insurance you take out which is a bit unfair as you have to have them. VAT (UK's GST) 17.5% on all goods and services. Council Tax - like the rates here, tax on petrol, diesel, tax on wine, beer, spirits, tax on cigarettes, inheritance tax, capital gains tax, stamp duty... I'm sure there's more and like I said before there was talk of taxing you if you had a patio/decking or a summerhouse in your garden, which is just ludicrous!

That's it really, rant over
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You should be watching the moon It's doing it's thing.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:27 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe for income tax, but UK has a lot of other taxes, other than income tax there's National Insurance
Okay. No worries about the rant.

No-one likes paying taxes, but I try not to let it worry me that much. Yes income tax is 40% in the higher bracket. But NZ's is comparable at 39%, without the annual personal allowances of c.£5k each - which is a lot.

Are petrol and alcohol not taxed in NZ?

Sadly I think it is only time before NZ is free of CGT. Hopefully not.

Council tax is my least favourite and swallows a huge £220/month from us , for what appears to be little more than Police services, refuse collection and gardening of public areas, of which there are many that are very well looked after, we use and love them. So today, I'm going to make the most of this and get out there and enjoy them.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Maybe for income tax, but UK has a lot of other taxes, other than income tax there's National Insurance, that's supposed to cover you for NHS and state pension, but NHS has been in crisis for years and state pension is such a joke you're 'encouraged' to top up with private plans and AVCs. If you work hard and progress up the ladder and earn a decent salary you get taxed at, what, 40%(?), (never earnt that much so not sure!) There's car tax, tax on insurances, 5% on each of your household contents and building insurances, in fact any insurance you take out which is a bit unfair as you have to have them. VAT (UK's GST) 17.5% on all goods and services. Council Tax - like the rates here, tax on petrol, diesel, tax on wine, beer, spirits, tax on cigarettes, inheritance tax, capital gains tax, stamp duty... I'm sure there's more and like I said before there was talk of taxing you if you had a patio/decking or a summerhouse in your garden, which is just ludicrous!

That's it really, rant over
The very rich in U.K have several jobs (at least 6 directorships is quite common) and they do not want to pay N.I on all of them, so they invented the N.I and made a law saying that they only have to pay it only on their (1) highest salary. Only us plebs pay so much Tax. NZ has just the same number of taxes ! Taxing from first $, hmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Great wise, post, UK+Kiwi, yes there are rates here instead of council tax, and very high in places, and the Kiwis always complain about the increases being much more than inflation, now where have i heard that before ?
Yes, i am watching the moon, a shadow moving 0.0001 mm per minute has not quite the same pulling power as Ugly Betty and N.E , of course

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 28th 2007 at 10:14 am.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:29 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
The very rich in U.K have several jobs (at least 6 directorships is quite common) and they do not want to pay N.I on all of them, so they invented the N.I and made a law saying that they only have to pay it only on their highest salary. NZ has just the same number of taxes ! Taxing from first $, hmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Great wise, post, UK+Kiwi, yes there are rates here instead of council tax, and very high in places, and the Kiwis always complain about the increases being much more than inflation, now where have i heard that before ?
Yes, i am watching the moon, a shadow moving 0.0001 mm per minute has not quite the same pulling power as Ugly Betty and N.E , of course
patience grasshopper........

at least you have the moon we have just cloud and rain!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
The very rich in U.K have several jobs (at least 6 directorships is quite common) and they do not want to pay N.I on all of them, so they invented the N.I and made a law saying that they only have to pay it only on their highest salary. NZ has just the same number of taxes ! Taxing from first $, hmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Great wise, post, UK+Kiwi, yes there are rates here instead of council tax, and very high in places

And also I thought there was a cap on the NI level so that it is not paid after a certain salary level, which would be well below director level salary.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:38 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
And also I thought there was a cap on the NI level so that it is not paid after a certain salary level, which would be well below director level salary.
No idea, but even if it was its of no benefit to the masses is it!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dandy Dan
Your dead right, we have crime here, we have a drug problem and like every other country on the globe we aint perfect, but the airs clean, the scenery cool, the people are friendly and bourbons cheap
Cheap Bourbon.............I am gonna love this place.

Nici
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
I guess that makes me a negative defeatist
But i do have a very positive attitude to life, its just that i just have morals and standards
and i find it difficult to accept the social and moral decay i see all around me.
IMHO............

a) Too many people.
b) No border control so any bugger gets in regardless of where they are from.
c) Drain on the healthcare, social security etc.
d) Quite alot do not want to learn our heritage/values of UK life.

I could probably write for the next 3 hours but for me and mine it is simply this........ I would rather bring my kids up without the EVERYDAY gun/knife crime, overcrowding, unfriendly attitudes this once great country now has become accustomed too.

Like I say, this is only MY opinion.

Nici
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Cheap Bourbon.............I am gonna love this place.

Nici
check out the woodstock pre-mixed bourbon/coke - comes in cans, bottles and an amazing variety of ABVs. the favoured tipple of some of my Kiwi mates!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
check out the woodstock pre-mixed bourbon/coke - comes in cans, bottles and an amazing variety of ABVs. the favoured tipple of some of my Kiwi mates!
And its the favoured tipple of this english gal too.
I new I would fit in.

Errrr.......whats an ABV? Is it a rather huge/massive bottle or am I just wishing

Nici
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

FishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
giving points for Church attendance does not seem especially positive to me - with that measure Saudi Arabia would score well on the "community life" score.
I doubt you'll find many churches in Saudi !

Though not a regular church goer myself I think the people that do attend set themselves, and expect from those around, them higher standards than those we now see in general UK society.
When was the last time you heard of someone being mugged by a choirboy or having their car stolen by a church warden?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.