Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I was listening to the UK media asking as to how the UK can make the 2015 RWC as successful as NZ has just done. That is 65 million people trying to emulate the achievement of 4 million........total Triumph.
+1
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I was listening to the UK media asking as to how the UK can make the 2015 RWC as successful as NZ has just done. That is 65 million people trying to emulate the achievement of 4 million........total Triumph.
One huge difference, Rugby is a minor sport in England and doesn't have the pull to 95% of the population. It's never going to be a similar success as not that many people care about the sport. I read last week that Soccer stadiums were going to be used, doesn't this prove Rugby has no pulling power as if it did there would be big enough Rugby stadiums throughout England. So it's been a success in a small country that's mad about Rugby and it's be a bit of a wash out in a big country that isn't Rugby mad, there's just not enough Hurray Henry's about in Eng to fill the stadiums. Vast areas of Britain just hate Rugby Union, I know, I'm from one of these areas, The North.

The Olympics will be a massive success dwarfing the RWC, if we had have got the Football World Cup it would have been a massive success but a Rugby World Cup in a country that apart from the odd international and occasional final gets 3rd/4th division football attendances.

So well done NZ for hosting a decent RWC.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:03 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
One huge difference, Rugby is a minor sport in England and doesn't have the pull to 95% of the population. It's never going to be a similar success as not that many people care about the sport. I read last week that Soccer stadiums were going to be used, doesn't this prove Rugby has no pulling power as if it did there would be big enough Rugby stadiums throughout England. So it's been a success in a small country that's mad about Rugby and it's be a bit of a wash out in a big country that isn't Rugby mad, there's just not enough Hurray Henry's about in Eng to fill the stadiums. Vast areas of Britain just hate Rugby Union, I know, I'm from one of these areas, The North.

The Olympics will be a massive success dwarfing the RWC, if we had have got the Football World Cup it would have been a massive success but a Rugby World Cup in a country that apart from the odd international and occasional final gets 3rd/4th division football attendances.

So well done NZ for hosting a decent RWC.
I seem to remember England hosted a lot of games in 1999.

BB
Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I seem to remember England hosted a lot of games in 1999.

BB
The reason RWC has been such a success is its captivated the nation, I was a bit worried as some of the crowds at rugby games in NZ are poor but I've got to say NZ did well. A RWC in England will not captivate the nation, apart from the odd area no one will give a monkeys.

That's what I'm getting at.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:38 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think as long as Rugby attracts real followers and people who are interested in the game and not the win at all cost mentality then I think 2015 will be a massive success for us. For obvious reasons people who are not Rugby minded will not be interested in what we celebrate. So long as we never attract the moronic crowd following that other "sports" claim then we will always be in the position that we can go safely to watch a game without worrying about frightening behavior and language of those around us.
Please God that we never attract the same following in "successful numbers".
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think as long as Rugby attracts real followers and people who are interested in the game and not the win at all cost mentality then I think 2015 will be a massive success for us. For obvious reasons people who are not Rugby minded will not be interested in what we celebrate. So long as we never attract the moronic crowd following that other "sports" claim then we will always be in the position that we can go safely to watch a game without worrying about frightening behavior and language of those around us.
Please God that we never attract the same following in "successful numbers".
You mention a moronic crowd, are you on about the England Rugby Team?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

You are supposed to be Welsh so should know that the RWC is being hosted by England (population 51 million) rather than the UK (population 61.8 million).

There is only one ground outside of England being used and for the purposes of this tournament the Millenium stadium is in England (according to this map)...

As for whether or not it has been a success: as far as NZ is concerned undoubtedly. As for the rest of the world: I was in Greece when England were playing Namibia and stopped at a bar for a refreshment. If it had been football the place would have been packed...as it was there were 2 people watching the game and it was a similar story for all the other venues showing the game so the rest of the world couldn't really care.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

RWC captured 'the nation' (actually just about half of them) because they've had stuff all else to do, but think about it, talk about it and plan for it for the past six years.

Between now and 2015 RWC in the UK there will be countless other things going on to occupy hearts and minds and Rugby will be but a relatively minor event. Certainly nothing like the be all and end all that it was to NZ.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:01 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
You mention a moronic crowd, are you on about the England Rugby Team?
You could be right there Though Wales with their winning ways have now dropped down to 8 in the World rankings whilst England are 5......
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Leither
You are supposed to be Welsh so should know that the RWC is being hosted by England (population 51 million) rather than the UK (population 61.8 million).

There is only one ground outside of England being used and for the purposes of this tournament the Millenium stadium is in England (according to this map)...

As for whether or not it has been a success: as far as NZ is concerned undoubtedly. As for the rest of the world: I was in Greece when England were playing Namibia and stopped at a bar for a refreshment. If it had been football the place would have been packed...as it was there were 2 people watching the game and it was a similar story for all the other venues showing the game so the rest of the world couldn't really care.
Totally wrong Leither the ones that really matter were watching the game the rest can go carry on and stay out of the way.......If it had been soccer it would probably been wrecked....
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Totally wrong Leither the ones that really matter were watching the game the rest can go carry on and stay out of the way.......If it had been soccer it would probably been wrecked....

Soccer...........THE World Cup is organised by FIFA (Federation of International Football Associations). Soccer is for spams.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:18 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why rugby union is a minority sport and most people thing it's played by thugs?
Cause of people like you mate, your arrogance and ignorance of what sport really involves surely beggars belief.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
I wonder why rugby union is a minority sport and most people thing it's played by thugs?
Cause of people like you mate, your arrogance and ignorance of what sport really involves surely beggars belief.
Says it all really.....
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:19 pm

RWC - Triumph or flop?-ref.jpg

Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:48 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks like a very shiny watch he is wearing - could be a Rolex - wonder what the inscription on the back might read?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.