British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   RWC - Triumph or flop? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rwc-triumph-flop-730349/)

barnsleymat Sep 18th 2011 4:26 am

Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

I'm dreading this week, i pretty certain all the locals at work will now be claim Irish heritage (because they own a Boyzone CD).

It's going to be a Plastic Paddy Nightmare.

RobDon Sep 18th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9626783)
Good game by the Irish, they showed courage and got the reward :thumbup:. Best game yet IMO.

Pity there isnt a "Like" button!! :frown:
Ditto what he says!! :thumbup:

Charismatic Sep 18th 2011 9:11 am

I hope the French put on a better show against the All Blacks than they are against the Canadians. If the All Blacks win kiwis will be gloating and clucking for weeks until they get knocked out ;).

lardyl Sep 18th 2011 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9628143)
I hope the French put on a better show against the All Blacks than they are against the Canadians. If the All Blacks win kiwis will be gloating and clucking for weeks until they get knocked out ;).

LOL

Bo-Jangles Sep 19th 2011 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9628143)
If the All Blacks win kiwis will be gloating and clucking for weeks until they get knocked out ;).

It doesn't really matter though, does it? Listening to everyone, it's already a foregone conclusion that the ABs are in the final and the rest of the competition is about who with. I am so hoping that they get a bloody shock!!! :rofl:

Whatever happens will be equally as bad; we'll never hear the last of it. It'll be either the gloating or the whining that other team or ref cheated.

j19fmm Sep 19th 2011 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9629548)
It doesn't really matter though, does it? Listening to everyone, it's already a foregone conclusion that the ABs are in the final and the rest of the competition is about who with. I am so hoping that they get a bloody shock!!! :rofl:

Whatever happens will be equally as bad; we'll never hear the last of it. It'll be either the gloating or the whining that other team or ref cheated.

Or you could always embrace the mood and celebrate with them...random thought I know....

Stormer999 Sep 19th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 9629595)
Or you could always embrace the mood and celebrate with them...random thought I know....

:thumbsup::rofl: Excellent.......over to you BJ...;)

lardyl Sep 19th 2011 10:22 am

no it's much more fun to watch the proud fall......
bit of a Pommie (and Kiwi for that matter!) trait, is it not??

Charismatic Sep 19th 2011 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 9629697)
:thumbsup::rofl: Excellent.......over to you BJ...;)

I'm happy, the teams I want to do well (Ireland, Wales and England) are either performing at or above expectation.

Now what is it that French fans say to cheer their team? Something like "Advance France"?*

*Though if you made a joke about surrender you get half marks.

BEVS Sep 19th 2011 11:01 am

we'll never hear the last of it. It'll be either the gloating or the whining that other team or ref cheated.
Having lived here for over 7 years now I'm going to have to go with the above. For me and him, the above is exactly how it will be from previous experience

Bo-Jangles Sep 19th 2011 11:19 am

Very random indeed!! :rofl: I couldn't care less who else wins, as long as it's not the ABs.

I'd get far more satisfaction seeing the bloody noses when they fall from that high pedestal, than seeing them lift a cup they already have written their name on. Honestly, why does the whole country seem to think they just have to show up to win and everyone else is an also ran. Other teams may as well chuck in the towel now, eh? Still, what is it, 24 years up there on that pedestal, being the best team in the world (not) and the hot favourites to win. :rofl:

lardyl Sep 19th 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9629795)
Having lived here for over 7 years now I'm going to have to go with the above. For me and him, the above is exactly how it will be from previous experience

TBH I'd be more pro-ABs (and I have one of their shirts on) if the self-centred, jingoistic, rugby commentators that appear on NZ TV weren't so damn self-righteous and smug. Ruddy Phil Gifford and Trevor McKewen are a pair of rugby-snobs and so far up their owen recta that I'm starting to hate expansive, free-flowing rugby and might even become a Bok cause at least deVilliers don't take himself too seriously. :blink:

All Tindall and Johnson, et al need to do is play video from those two nummocks to the dressing room come match time if France manage to take the ABs out next weekend, or heaven forbid the Scots take out England......:frown:

Buzzy--Bee Sep 20th 2011 11:08 am

I honestly think that the reason New Zealand has not won a world cup in 24 years is that they don't actually care whether they win or not, so long as Australia loses.

BB

lardyl Sep 20th 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9631903)
I honestly think that the reason New Zealand has not won a world cup in 24 years is that they don't actually care whether they win or not, so long as Australia loses.

BB

along with most of the rest of the world :rofl:

waikatoguy Sep 21st 2011 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9629835)
Very random indeed!! :rofl: I couldn't care less who else wins, as long as it's not the ABs.

I'd get far more satisfaction seeing the bloody noses when they fall from that high pedestal, than seeing them lift a cup they already have written their name on. Honestly, why does the whole country seem to think they just have to show up to win and everyone else is an also ran. Other teams may as well chuck in the towel now, eh? Still, what is it, 24 years up there on that pedestal, being the best team in the world (not) and the hot favourites to win. :rofl:

Well ... New Zealand's only the size of a city, in terms of population. We're small. We have to fight to get some sort of recognition in the big, wide world. Rugby is something we're good at, and recognised for, and helps put us on the map. The All Blacks are one of the biggest sporting brands. We want to win this damn thing !!!!! It's something we can be proud of and say ... ahhhhh .... we're not too bad at rugby. :thumbup: