Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Returning home to NZ!

Returning home to NZ!

Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

kiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nice
Smile Returning home to NZ!

Hi All
I'm returning to NZ after living in the UK for over 15 years. Will be very sad to leave the UK but 15yrs away is long enough. Feel that I know more about living in the UK now than about NZ. Originally from Invercargill but planning on living just out of Christchurch. Moving back with my husband who is english, 7month old, 2yr old and a dog. Dreading the flight back but at least its only one way.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Returning home to NZ!

Good luck with your return home
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:58 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear from you. I'm a kiwi and I have been away 22 years!! I can't drag myself away just yet, but I can see having kids might affect your decision. I went back for a hol at Christmas. I would be interested to hear of your experiences once you have settled in.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

kiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nice

Thanks. Just can't imagine the kids growing up without a big garden and loads of outdoor space that we'll hopefully have in NZ.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you've not got your British citizenship, you probably want to sort that out before you leave.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi
I've never got round to getting it as have unlimited leave to reamain in uk so was never important. We have no intentions of returning to the UK as all my family live in NZ and the kids have both passports so they can go back when older. I can only see myself going back for holidays. Do you know what the rule is for returning to the Uk within so many years? Should find out really.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichick36
Hi
I've never got round to getting it as have unlimited leave to reamain in uk so was never important. We have no intentions of returning to the UK as all my family live in NZ and the kids have both passports so they can go back when older. I can only see myself going back for holidays. Do you know what the rule is for returning to the Uk within so many years? Should find out really.
As soon as you are no longer living in Britain you are at risk of losing your status, and once your absence passes two years, you need returning resident entry clearance: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

It really would be a good idea to get your British citizenship before you leave, as opposed to abandoning your resident status - plans and circumstances can change later on in ways you cannot predict.

As you are (apparently) married to a British citizen, planning to emigrate is not a reason to refuse naturalisation, but it must be done before you leave. Afterwards, it's generally too late if you change your mind.

Were your children born in Britain? If so, read the following about their NZ citizenship - it's important:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:12 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Another considerable advantage of having a UK passport is the ability to go live in the EU!. Might seem unlikely now, but who knows what the future will bring.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwichick36
Hi
My husband was born in NZ and was moved back to the UK as a young child.

He always kept his NZ passport in which he had a "Right of Abode" in the UK. (English mum, Kiwi dad.)

It was always a bit of a pain in the bum travelling with him on our UK passports (me and the kids) as he always had to faff about with visa's etc around Europe on his NZ one.

He never changed to a UK passport and lo and behold we moved to NZ nearly 2 years ago. He on his NZ passport the kids' on theirs (citizenship by descent, so they used their NZ ones and have UK ones too) and me on the UK one ... the only immigrant in the family!

I imagine we thought along the same lines as you - as far as the kids go, everywhere is open to them, except the States ........