Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Return to NZ before 21 months GST issue

Return to NZ before 21 months GST issue

Old Nov 24th 2023, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

johneastriggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Return to NZ before 21 months GST issue

We are NZ citizens and left NZ in July 22 with our household goods and due to personal circumstances we are moving back to NZ in March 24(From UK) We will have been out of NZ 20 months but we read that we could be charged 15% GST when importing our goods back into NZ.We have not bought any goods in our time outside NZ so... are we going to be charged on goods we have already paid GST on when we bought them in NZ ??
Old Nov 27th 2023, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to NZ before 21 months GST issue

I think the first and most important question is "do you still have the receipts?".
I am assuming that if you can demonstrate that you have already paid GST you have an argument against paying it again.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

johneastriggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Return to NZ before 21 months GST issue

Hi Little Grey Cat ..thanks for your reply much appreciated...I just heard back from customs as I sent them my export list from 2022 and I mentioned i bought a couple of items ...they said ..."based on the information provided, it is likely that your effects would qualify for concessional entry. Given the relatively low value of the purchased items, again it would be unlikely that duty/gst would apply."
Thanbased on the information provided, it is likely that your effects would qualify for concessional entry. Given the relatively low value of the purchased items, again it would be unlikely that duty/gst would apply. All you need to do is follow the steps outlined in the link you have provided. ks for the further information, based on the information provided, it is likely that your effects would qualify for concessional entry. Given the relatively low value of the purchased items, again it would be unlikely that duty/gst would apply. All you need to do is follow the steps outin the link you have provided.