Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

resolved to be better with money in 2009?

resolved to be better with money in 2009?

Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:49 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default resolved to be better with money in 2009?

we took the plunge last year and started getting better with money in readiness for our move to NZ, where we've no doubt that things are going to be tighter...

anyway, one of the things we now do is use a spreadsheet to keep track of what's come in and what's spent each month, and running totals for accounts set aside for cars, holidays and savings...

as i was setting our stuff up for 2009, it occurred to me that someone out there might find it useful too, so i've attached it here, just in case.... (its in excel, but i can sort out open office too if that helps anyone)

there are 13 sheets - jan-dec then an overview sheet...

the sheets are calculated to add stuff up as you put it in, and to consolidate to the overview sheet...

there are places for standard (and unusual) incomings and outgoings (salary and rent etc) and then a separate area for what you spend outside of this... as we now hold savings, car fund and hols fund in separate accounts (made life MUCH easier!) there are also areas for recording spending against these accounts too.

We now put all our salary etc into our joint account as soon as we get it (holding back our 'pocket money' for the month!) and we've got standing orders/direct debits set up for all the usual suspects, plus payments into separate accounts for hols and car fund, savings etc

we keep hold of receipts, then every week or so (cos we're not THAT good!) we add what we've spent into the spreadsheet... there is a running total for the month (called transfer extra to savings) which shows how much we've got left for the month.

at the end of each month we print off a bank statement and reconcile our spreadsheet with what the bank says just to check, and transfer any extra money over into another savings account.

since we started using this back in august we've managed to save every month, we've got a fund ready for when the cars need MOT/service etc AND got to the end of december still in the black, and are on track to be that way at the end of Jan too - unheard of in years!

i realise i'm starting to sound evangelical now, so i'll go!

suffice it to say, its changed us for the better!

oh yeah, one last thing... we also sit down on a thursday night and write out a menu for the week ahead - lunches, teas etc and that's what we shop for... always cooking more so we've got a freezer full of homemade ready meals for the (many) nights we really can't be bothered cooking... (i have that set up as word document!!??!! oh dear, is this really what i've become?!)

happy 2009!
Attached Files
File Type: xls
MASTER FINANCES FOR BE.xls (166.5 KB, 91 views)
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: resolved to be better with money in 2009?

Wow stoof! Thanks for the info, like you we feel the need to keep a closer eye on finances as we sat down at the weekend and did all the "What if...?" scenarios. Feels horribly grown up though
Karma heading your way..