Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Residence Visa/Permit

Residence Visa/Permit

Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:35 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future
Question Residence Visa/Permit

Hi All!

Now I've got a question, a very simple one some might say, but I wouldn't mind clarity if anyone knows.

Bascially, from the immigration website it says that a Residence Permit (I would go via the skilled migrant route) allows you to live and work in New Zealand indefinitely
Great stuff! However, say I get the RP and then can't actually find a job out there until 12 months later (for example). Does it have an expiry time for actually getting over there once you have the RP?

Cheers

Dave
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:44 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Residence Visa/Permit

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
Hi All!

Now I've got a question, a very simple one some might say, but I wouldn't mind clarity if anyone knows.

Bascially, from the immigration website it says that a Residence Permit (I would go via the skilled migrant route) allows you to live and work in New Zealand indefinitely
Great stuff! However, say I get the RP and then can't actually find a job out there until 12 months later (for example). Does it have an expiry time for actually getting over there once you have the RP?

Cheers

Dave
As I understand it you have to work for at least three months during the first two years in the profession you qualified for to get in under skilled migrant. Before or after that time you can work in anything you want. One of our friends qualified for skilled migrancy as a printer, he's now dying wood in a garden furniture factory and loving it!

From the research I've done it seems that new migrants can expect to be unemployed for up to six months when they first get over there, but that's an outside figure. That statistic still gives you plenty of time to work the minimum in your qualified profession in the two year period. Don't know how they check what work you're doing - wonder if there's a review at some point, haven't heard it mentioned anywhere.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:46 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All!

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave

As far as I am aware, you have 12 months from the date your visas are put in your passport in which to enter New Zealand in order to validate them....you can then leave again if you are not ready to move over permanently as long as you return again with 2 years I think...that is how it was explained to me by a member of the NZIS at the Emigrate show in York...hth

Edit:- ignore me - speed reading again and thought you'd put PR not RP!! Presume you mean Work to Residence then!!! Sorry....
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:56 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi Dave

As far as I am aware, you have 12 months from the date your visas are put in your passport in which to enter New Zealand in order to validate them....you can then leave again if you are not ready to move over permanently as long as you return again with 2 years I think...that is how it was explained to me by a member of the NZIS at the Emigrate show in York...hth

Edit:- ignore me - speed reading again and thought you'd put PR not RP!! Presume you mean Work to Residence then!!! Sorry....
Sorry - I should have put initials as I can see that confusion has crept in. RP = Residence Permit which I found out some info by clicking on the link at the end of the Skilled Migrant route process on the immigration website - i.e. I was suggesting a skilled migrant scenerio. PR = Permanent Residency which I also understand is what you get if the Skilled Migrant route is sucessful.

I think the two mean the same??

Thanks,

Dave
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:05 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - I should have put initials as I can see that confusion has crept in. RP = Residence Permit which I found out some info by clicking on the link at the end of the Skilled Migrant route process on the immigration website - i.e. I was suggesting a skilled migrant scenerio. PR = Permanent Residency which I also understand is what you get if the Skilled Migrant route is sucessful.

I think the two mean the same??

Thanks,

Dave
Aye, well that's how to confuse me in one easy go...LOL...

If you get PR straight away then the advice above stands!!

If you are offered WTR then I'm not sure as I haven't had a look at it (yet!!).... Clear as mud innit...

But which one is it that you mean - PR or WTR???? It must be PR as that is the one that allows you to stay and work indefinitely - Yes ? No?

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 13th 2005 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

as I understand it there are 2 outcomes to a skilled migrant application - you can get permanant residence from the outset or work to residence depending on how convinced they are that you will settle. If you get PR then you have 6 months from the approval in principal date to get the PR visa in your passport and then 12 motnhs from the date the visa is put in your passport to enter NZ. As PP says , you can then come and go as you please over the next 2 years under your returning resident visa.

If you get WTR then you need to obtain and keep employment for 3 months at any point within the 2 year validity of the WTR visa - then you can apply for your PR.

Once you've got your PR you can do anything (or nothing) as you wish.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:37 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano
As I understand it you have to work for at least three months during the first two years in the profession you qualified for to get in under skilled migrant. .
This is a popular myth. If you get PR with no job offer then you can do whatever work you like in NZ - it doesn't have to relate to your 'skilled' status. It's only if you have a job offer that you have to then fulfill.
I shall be flipping burgers in McDs!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:04 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biddy
This is a popular myth. If you get PR with no job offer then you can do whatever work you like in NZ - it doesn't have to relate to your 'skilled' status. It's only if you have a job offer that you have to then fulfill.
I shall be flipping burgers in McDs!
and I'll be draining the lower field!

Re us visiting and getting work - do we have to get work in the skilled status we're claiming points for?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:24 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano
and I'll be draining the lower field!

Re us visiting and getting work - do we have to get work in the skilled status we're claiming points for?
Not sure about that bit!