Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Renting in Wellington

Renting in Wellington

Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice
Default Re: Renting in Wellington

Originally Posted by Nisey
My wish list - A large family home(we have tonnes of stuff), 4-5 bedrooms, modern kitchen, playroom/den, Good area (subjective of course) with heating, Something with a pool would be nice, Good schools, Nice Community, decent commute to CBD either by train, ferry or car, preferably the former. Wouldn't say no to something a bit more rural. Nice aspect, doesn't have to be sea or city views.

Long term from start of October

Keep em peeled for us

Sounds like you may like Riverstone or other areas in the Hutt Valley
Call or email Janine Tweedale at Gillies Group
00 64 4 527 2281

[email protected]

Web: www.gilliesgroup.co.nz

Good luck.
Richard
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:17 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

With a budget of $950/week why would anybody choose the Hutt Valley?

You could get a 5 bedroom house just behind the Parliament building and live in the city centre. Not sure about the 'nice community' bit, though.

Spare yourself the rather dull commute each day.

(Assuming your job wasn't actually in the Hutt area, of course....)

God...$950/week in somewhere like Island Bay, they'd probably throw in the Cook Strait for that type of money.

Last edited by Avid; Jul 6th 2007 at 6:23 am.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Avid
With a budget of $950/week why would anybody choose the Hutt Valley?
...and why would they not? Different strokes for different folks etc...a nice lifestyle block half an hour out of Welly might suit these people down to the ground. Somewhere in the Haywards, or Kaitoke perhaps. They did say rural and not necessarily near the sea after all.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HHmmm.

This is just a rental. Not your own. Save money on the rental and put that into a bought house.

With the time you spend in the rental, get to know the area you are in and then start making informed choices for a home.

We rented a modest place for 2 years & then bought the worst house in the best street.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS here
HHmmm.

This is just a rental. Not your own. Save money on the rental and put that into a bought house.

With the time you spend in the rental, get to know the area you are in and then start making informed choices for a home.

We rented a modest place for 2 years & then bought the worst house in the best street.

Not our idea of the way to go sorry but i can understand your idea.

The way things are with interest rates etc we will most likley look to buy a nice plot of land if the ideal one comes up and then take our time over building on it. In the meantime we want a nice house to rent as like you it could be for quite a while. A 'lifestyle' rental up to 40mins travel time from the centre of Wellington if thats where we decide to base ourselves would be ideal.

We've rented before in the UK while we were between houses and rented a £1m 300year old farmhouse and land at one stage for a year and loved every minute of the experience. In some cases you can comfortably afford to rent things you may not be able or want to commit the money to buy. I kind of take the same view on renting in NZ as i want to live in a nice place with all our stuff as we decide on 'exactly' what we want. If it takes us 3 or 4 years of renting i'm not that bothered.

Last edited by teambwr47; Jul 6th 2007 at 8:37 am.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:32 am
`

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Finding a place to rent in welington? Do i commit myself to something over the internet whilst in the UK ready for me when i get there! Or do i rent a holiday home for a week or two or motel it (with wife and son) and rent when i get there. The first option i can only go by the photo on the website, but i'll have a place sorted. The 2nd i can see it warts and all. If i go with the 2nd option, how long roughly from saying yes to the agent, signing the paperwork and handing over the dosh can i move in?
HHmm again.

There is a large contingency of Welly windies on this site. I would hope someone would be prepared to reccy a rental for you which would be at a reasonable price.
Other than that its
a motel
someone knows a rental place
you pre-book a holiday home at a long term cheaper rate.

You then trawl around the real-estate agents and look through the local papers for a rental that will suit.Or see if someone who knows someone can fix you a rental. We've done this for people several times now.

Take a periodic tenancy only

Haggle over the price , even if it is just 10%. It's worth it.

If the place is ready, of course , you can move straight in.

Yu may need something somewhat furnished for a month until the container arrived. We didn't as we haggled with our first rental and they provided the necessary in the end , inclusive of the rent.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:40 am
`

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Not our idea of the way to go sorry but i can understand your idea.

The way things are with interest rates etc we will most likley look to buy a nice plot of land if the ideal one comes up and then take our time over building on it. In the meantime we want a nice house to rent as like you it could be for quite a while. A 'lifestyle' rental up to 40mins travel time from the centre of Wellington if thats where we decide to base ourselves would be ideal.

We've rented before in the UK while we were between houses and rented a £1m 300year old farmhouse and land at one stage for a year and loved every minute of the experience. In some cases you can comfortably afford to rent things you may not be able or want to commit the money to buy. I kind of take the same view on renting in NZ as i want to live in a nice place with all our stuff as we decide on 'exactly' what we want. If it takes us 3 or 4 years of renting i'm not that bothered.

Interesting and I wish you all the luck . I mistook your £££ ability.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Eternalkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Areas that may suit include Kapiti Coast, Whitby, and Churton Park to the north, Seatoun and Breaker Bay to the east, Lyall Bay and Island Bay to the South and Thorndon in the CBD.

Lower, Upper Hutt and Eastbourne could also be worth considering.

Shawn
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I mistook your £££ ability.

LOL.....our £££ ability is not huge but we are managing to arrive in NZ not owing any one a penny and with a reasonable amount of cash as a starting poiny plus the wife has a job sorted thats going to pay $200K+ so i hope the future in NZ looks rosy.........
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:47 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

the wife has a job sorted thats going to pay $200K+ so i hope the future in NZ looks rosy.........

I just want to say niseysOH, that I'll always read your posts and sometimes reply to them even if nobody on this forum ever, inexplicably, speaks to you again.

By the way..due to the rather odd rental market out here $200k/year will enable you to rent houses that you couldn't actually buy on the same income. You could easily rent a $1million+ house for $950/week but not be able, on the same income, to get a mortgage on it as it would be 5 times income...and with interest rates at 9% you'd be paying a lot more than $950.

I think your very wise to rent for a year or longer until you really get the feel of the place...and, if lucky, catch the immanent property collapse!

Last edited by Avid; Jul 6th 2007 at 9:57 am.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by dicknlyn
...and why would they not? Different strokes for different folks etc...a nice lifestyle block half an hour out of Welly might suit these people down to the ground. Somewhere in the Haywards, or Kaitoke perhaps. They did say rural and not necessarily near the sea after all.
Fair enough. Maybe the Hutt is the best place for them. Only they know.

But it is genuinely amusing (in a smiley way) how everybody who asks 'Where to live in Wellington'? always gets told 'The Hutt' !

Is there some kind of cult out there??
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Fair enough. Maybe the Hutt is the best place for them. Only they know.

But it is genuinely amusing (in a smiley way) how everybody who asks 'Where to live in Wellington'? always gets told 'The Hutt' !

Is there some kind of cult out there??
Doesn't 'Jabba' live there?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you looking to join the part of the forum where nobody talks to you then or were you the founding member............
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:02 am

Are you looking to join the part of the forum where nobody talks to you then or were you the founding member............
I'm currently holding the baton.

Here..do you want to hold it for a second? Just to feel the weight of it...
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future

Any luck yet?

Try Quinovic.co.nz. Also Trade Me is the best place to find the ads, and the Dom Post on property day, which I think is Sats and Weds.

:-)

Originally Posted by bro69
I am moving to Wellington 29th of July, I am looking for a place to rent, I would like to stay as Central as possible, budget is around $300 a week, prefer furnished, not worried about apartment or house, I thought it would be easy but it is proving harder and the misses is getting on my back.

Any help, good rental agencies or numbers of landlords would be much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.