Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Renting in Wellington

Renting in Wellington

Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Renting in Wellington

I am moving to Wellington 29th of July, I am looking for a place to rent, I would like to stay as Central as possible, budget is around $300 a week, prefer furnished, not worried about apartment or house, I thought it would be easy but it is proving harder and the misses is getting on my back.

Any help, good rental agencies or numbers of landlords would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:52 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: Renting in Wellington

Originally Posted by bro69
I am moving to Wellington 29th of July, I am looking for a place to rent, I would like to stay as Central as possible, budget is around $300 a week, prefer furnished, not worried about apartment or house, I thought it would be easy but it is proving harder and the misses is getting on my back.

Any help, good rental agencies or numbers of landlords would be much appreciated.
should be able to get a 2 bed unit for that. Tried trademe? Or maybe gumtree? On saturday there is a big to rent section in the local dominion post paper
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

I have been keeping my eyes open on Trade me and gumtree but have not found them fantastic.

I have someone looking in the paper for me, that seems to be the best option, but because I am in Christchurch it can make it tricky.

Thanks for the help though.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:54 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bro69
I have been keeping my eyes open on Trade me and gumtree but have not found them fantastic.

I have someone looking in the paper for me, that seems to be the best option, but because I am in Christchurch it can make it tricky.

Thanks for the help though.
It's really tricky finding a decent place to rent in welly. For every decent place there are loads of applicants. A good place is gold dust!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

We're likley to be in the same boat soon as we are going to be deciding between Wellington and Auckland. We have a furnished rental in Auckland at Cockle beach for three months but have the option to live in Wellington.

We are going to spend a few days in Wellington during our first week in NZ and luckily the company has a flat there so we are staying free but if we decide wellington is for us we will need to start looking for a more long term rental.

Our weekly budget is a bit higher than yours as we would pay up to maybe $850/900 but have the same problem in that there are so few places to rent it seems. If we choose Auckland we would be spoilt for choice.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:38 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Our weekly budget is a bit higher than yours as we would pay up to maybe $850/900 but have the same problem in that there are so few places to rent it seems. If we choose Auckland we would be spoilt for choice.
$900 will go a long way in Wellington depending on the exact type of place you are looking for.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Avid
$900 will go a long way in Wellington depending on the exact type of place you are looking for.
My wish list - A large family home(we have tonnes of stuff), 4-5 bedrooms, modern kitchen, playroom/den, Good area (subjective of course) with heating, Something with a pool would be nice, Good schools, Nice Community, decent commute to CBD either by train, ferry or car, preferably the former. Wouldn't say no to something a bit more rural. Nice aspect, doesn't have to be sea or city views.

Long term from start of October

Keep em peeled for us
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nisey
My wish list - A large family home(we have tonnes of stuff), 4-5 bedrooms, modern kitchen, playroom/den, Good area (subjective of course) with heating, Something with a pool would be nice, Good schools, Nice Community, decent commute to CBD either by train, ferry or car, preferably the former. Wouldn't say no to something a bit more rural. Nice aspect, doesn't have to be sea or city views.

Keep em peeled for us
My dream is a long way from my reality, I'd like to be in the city, I intend to sell my car when I get there, I will be working on the terrace so somewhere round there would be even better, it's just so tough looking, especially from Christchurch.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
try -
www.keyproperty.co.nz
www.leaders.co.nz
www.bethunes.co.nz

Also if you can get the Dominion Post online they have tons of rentals on (I think) a Wednesday and contact details of other rental agencies in the paper.
Donna
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:21 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nisey

Keep em peeled for us
Not sure if there are ANY houses like that in NZ, regardless of rental price...you could probably get all of the above in Wellington for your price range with 4 bedrooms .....but 5 bedrooms is pushing it.

That would have to be a mega-shed...

HEATING ?? POOL??? This is New Zealand, for goodness sake!

Last edited by Avid; Jul 3rd 2007 at 11:38 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

mojos has a spectacular aura aboutmojos has a spectacular aura aboutmojos has a spectacular aura about

Keep em peeled for us
My friend bought a 5 bedroom house in Whitby about a year ago. They didn't have much choice though but saying that, they only looked around that area and nowhere else in Welly. Think it was the only 5 bedroom property that they viewed. There wasn't many 4 bed houses either. And large rentals ....wasn't anything out there so they stayed with family until they bought the house.

Best of Luck

Jo
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a place to rent in welington? Do i commit myself to something over the internet whilst in the UK ready for me when i get there! Or do i rent a holiday home for a week or two or motel it (with wife and son) and rent when i get there. The first option i can only go by the photo on the website, but i'll have a place sorted. The 2nd i can see it warts and all. If i go with the 2nd option, how long roughly from saying yes to the agent, signing the paperwork and handing over the dosh can i move in?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Finding a place to rent in welington? Do i commit myself to something over the internet whilst in the UK ready for me when i get there! Or do i rent a holiday home for a week or two or motel it (with wife and son) and rent when i get there. The first option i can only go by the photo on the website, but i'll have a place sorted. The 2nd i can see it warts and all. If i go with the 2nd option, how long roughly from saying yes to the agent, signing the paperwork and handing over the dosh can i move in?

do not commit to anything on the net. Sheer madness. Attractive though it may be (get off the plane and go home). Too many sharks out there, and with a bit of creative photography what looks good on the net is a shocker in real life. I would do the motel thing, or if you are really strapped- backpackers..

In some cases you can move in immediately.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
do not commit to anything on the net. Sheer madness. Attractive though it may be (get off the plane and go home). Too many sharks out there, and with a bit of creative photography what looks good on the net is a shocker in real life. I would do the motel thing, or if you are really strapped- backpackers..

In some cases you can move in immediately.
Totally agree Ming. 2 weeks motel,drive around and look.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

We've gone the holiday house route for three months in Cockle Beach, Auckland which we are going to use to find a more long term rental on route to building something big i hope....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.