Reload this Page >

Renting with pets...

Renting with pets...

Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kezzar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting with pets...

Hi

We are hoping to be out in NZ (Wellington) by the end of this year and we are bringing along our cat.

Has anyone had experience renting property with a pet/s? Is this difficult?

Last edited by Kezzar; Oct 7th 2010 at 11:04 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:05 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting with pets...

my experience in Wellington was that landlords tended to be more flexible with allowing cats than dogs.

But I didn't really look for a property for that long (we rented the second one we saw!).
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:38 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Can't speak for Wellington but we are experiencing terrible problems trying to find short term rental for our arrival with our wee dog. We might have to leave her to follow us if we don't get it sorted by Friday.

Dogs don't seem very welcome in New Zealand Homes Full stop.

We are going over on a LTBV but with our experience I feel very tempted to change direction and set up my own real estate business when we land. The service from agents is dire.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:06 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
Can't speak for Wellington but we are experiencing terrible problems trying to find short term rental for our arrival with our wee dog. We might have to leave her to follow us if we don't get it sorted by Friday.

Dogs don't seem very welcome in New Zealand Homes Full stop.

We are going over on a LTBV but with our experience I feel very tempted to change direction and set up my own real estate business when we land. The service from agents is dire.
Harsh!!

These properties will accept dogs ...

Unfurnished Tauranga

Furnished Mount Maunganui will accept a dog if I ask nicely!

Furnished Papamoa
Worth asking about the dog for the right tenants.

Furnished Papamoa

Dates available on enquiry.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kezzar
Hi

We are hoping to be out in NZ (Wellington) by the end of this year and we are bringing along our cat.

Has anyone had experience renting property with a pet/s? Is this difficult?

Hi Kezzar.

We brought out our two cats

During our first 2 years here we were in two separate rentals , both of which accepted cats. The 2nd one even had a cat flap ! Both were through private landlords. We paid over our bond and I got the carpets cleaned for the 2nd rental as we'd been clumping through it for 18 months.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:41 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Am Loolah - are you worried about the potential competition

Have emailed you about the properties via your business.

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I think I'll have to put clothes on my dogs and try to pass them off as my children.

Beautiful dogs, very ugly children tho.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Kezzar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear that landlords are more lenient with cats, although that would mean we'd have to wait a bit before we get a dog of our own.

I go through such strange feelings about all this....some days I'm very anxious about the whole emmigrating and other days I'm super excited!! Today I'm super excited

Been reading a few books on NZ and trying to find some good area's to live in Wellington that may be slighly more protected from this 'wind'. Perhaps I'm being a little optimistic
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:03 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Kezzar
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear that landlords are more lenient with cats, although that would mean we'd have to wait a bit before we get a dog of our own.

I go through such strange feelings about all this....some days I'm very anxious about the whole emmigrating and other days I'm super excited!! Today I'm super excited

Been reading a few books on NZ and trying to find some good area's to live in Wellington that may be slighly more protected from this 'wind'. Perhaps I'm being a little optimistic
It's a rollercoater of emotions isn't it
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there we had no problems renting with our dog. Landlord loves her and gave her a big cuddle when he met her which was nice . Didn't have much trouble at all but what I did notice was that it was the agents putting up all the fight about animals in the property not our landlord (sorry Am Loolah ).

There are many previous threads on this subject and most people will advise you to look on Trademe and contact private landlords directly who tend to be more flexible.

Good luck.