Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rentals?Holiday/part-furnished/unfurnished?

Rentals?Holiday/part-furnished/unfurnished?

Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:01 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals?Holiday/part-furnished/unfurnished?

You can rent beach cabins not so far away from me for about $150 a week including power which is a huge saving. If we were doing it again I would never look at house rentals I would go straight to the holiday cabin style stays. I know lots of uk couples who are laughing they are living it up and living so cheaply in these holiday cabins and fishing for their supper too ... they have a riot and so do their kids. We meet up lots with them and our kids love the beach life. Anyways look into it, it sure beats being commited to a grim rental for who knows how long and putting down huge bonds and weeks rent.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Loolah,
as you know we have arrived! We have a gorgeous 4 bedroom house in Porirua with 3 double bedrooms and 1 single, 2 bathrooms, fully furnished (to a high standard) including sky, local calls and some bills plus gardener we are paying £1200 per month. We plan to stay here 4 weeks, we're about 20 mins drive from Welly and have views of he mountains and a lagoon! We are planning to then rent an unfurnished home for the next 6 months or so. Unfortunately our shipment didn't go when we thought so we will be without furniture for a while so we plan to rent the basics until ours arrives and start replacing what we intended to replace anyway, there are places in the yellow pages that do furniture rental. we'll keep you posted!
Donna
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danny.f
Hi Loolah,
as you know we have arrived! We have a gorgeous 4 bedroom house in Porirua with 3 double bedrooms and 1 single, 2 bathrooms, fully furnished (to a high standard) including sky, local calls and some bills plus gardener we are paying £1200 per month. We plan to stay here 4 weeks, we're about 20 mins drive from Welly and have views of he mountains and a lagoon! We are planning to then rent an unfurnished home for the next 6 months or so. Unfortunately our shipment didn't go when we thought so we will be without furniture for a while so we plan to rent the basics until ours arrives and start replacing what we intended to replace anyway, there are places in the yellow pages that do furniture rental. we'll keep you posted!
Donna
£1200 per month!!!!!! *EEK!* OMG! Geez Donna if thats the going rate for a decent rental I'd better start saving now LOL!

Dave
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:27 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Or get to the Sally army and just make do till your stuff arrives.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I think we are paying over the odds but having read a few posts where people were staying in bug infested, cold, damp rentals we decided that we wanted to stay somewhere nice and make it a bit of a holday for us all to help relieve the stress, plus we didn't have a holiday in 2006 for that reason so we didn't mind the cost(too much) as we have budgeted for it. having been in the house since 6pm we haven't had 1 argument yet so it must be working!
Anyway, you can check it out for yourself when you arrive next month
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sky
You can rent beach cabins not so far away from me for about $150 a week including power which is a huge saving. If we were doing it again I would never look at house rentals I would go straight to the holiday cabin style stays. I know lots of uk couples who are laughing they are living it up and living so cheaply in these holiday cabins and fishing for their supper too ... they have a riot and so do their kids. We meet up lots with them and our kids love the beach life. Anyways look into it, it sure beats being commited to a grim rental for who knows how long and putting down huge bonds and weeks rent.
That sounds like a great idea for those of us who will be really having to watch our pennies, like me!

Where abouts in NZ are you? Does anyone know of such deals around Auckland area?
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:57 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Danemad
That sounds like a great idea for those of us who will be really having to watch our pennies, like me!

Where abouts in NZ are you? Does anyone know of such deals around Auckland area?
We're Canterbury and spend all our time at Kairaki beach where our rellies are based. We didn't know folk had it so easy until we started talking to the folk on these beach camps. Some of them are living on site for as little as $80 a wk including power and have all their money in the bank earning interest .... they're living life and loving it
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Nah, I think we are paying over the odds but having read a few posts where people were staying in bug infested, cold, damp rentals we decided that we wanted to stay somewhere nice and make it a bit of a holday for us all to help relieve the stress, plus we didn't have a holiday in 2006 for that reason so we didn't mind the cost(too much) as we have budgeted for it. having been in the house since 6pm we haven't had 1 argument yet so it must be working!
Anyway, you can check it out for yourself when you arrive next month
you could be right there Dan, we pay quite a lot in rent but ours is a lovely new house in a nice location, as is yours . like you we too pick the nice one to help us settle easier .

i'll chat to donna at some point but as i've said before you are most welcome to borrow what i have spare if & when you need it
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:07 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danemad

For our arrival in NZ (auckland), we have looked at these two sites and plan to book with one of them. We have spoken with both via email and they are incredibly helpful...

www.newzealand-apartments.co.nz

www.bribancapartments.co.nz

Good luck!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

CarolR will become famous soon enoughCarolR will become famous soon enough

I suppose it shows that we are all looking for different things. Too be honest when we arrived just the process of emigration was enough for me and I was so disorientated for weeks - it can have an incredible impact on you and it's not until the mist has cleared some months later do you realise how hard the actual first few weeks of arrival can be.

For me having somewhere hassle free to stay in the first months is important, so dirty, sparse and tumbledown would only of impacted on the stress of all the other things that are occuring when you newly arrive. Jobs, kids and schools, buying cars, transferring money, setting up banks , tax numbers , buying houses in a market you have no idea about and a million and one other things, all insignificant things on there own but after a knackering flight with all your emotions and stuff in turmoil, it can be exhausting and extremely stressful so somewhere nice to live for a short time has got to help.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:27 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CarolR
I suppose it shows that we are all looking for different things. Too be honest when we arrived just the process of emigration was enough for me and I was so disorientated for weeks - it can have an incredible impact on you and it's not until the mist has cleared some months later do you realise how hard the actual first few weeks of arrival can be.

For me having somewhere hassle free to stay in the first months is important, so dirty, sparse and tumbledown would only of impacted on the stress of all the other things that are occuring when you newly arrive. Jobs, kids and schools, buying cars, transferring money, setting up banks , tax numbers , buying houses in a market you have no idea about and a million and one other things, all insignificant things on there own but after a knackering flight with all your emotions and stuff in turmoil, it can be exhausting and extremely stressful so somewhere nice to live for a short time has got to help.
Hi Carol,

Wise words and definately the way I'm beginning to think now! Holiday, fully furnished and equipped for first 4-8 weeks whilst find somewhere more long term.

Now if I could just find that in the right area that'll accept these bloody dogs!