Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I am feeling so gutted - another moan at BA

I am feeling so gutted - another moan at BA

Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:06 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am feeling so gutted - another moan at BA

It really looks like we wont be coming to NZ on our recce afterall. We cant rebook - no available seats. Inadvisable to switch airlines cos we lose money - plus there are no available flights for us.

Which means we cant attend all the job interviews we have lined up (7 i think - they are senior management level jobs, few and far btwn).

So we could be looking at a couple months away now which scuppers the plans i had for the ITA/case officer. would have been helpful to our application to have a job offer lined up.

i feel so miserable.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Angry Re: I am feeling so gutted - another moan at BA

I can't believe that, I feel so dreadful for you!

It really makes me angry how much these things can affect your life and they are unable to do anything to help. I think if that kind of thing happened to us right now it would send me over the edge. Don't they realise how stressful this emigration lark is without their actions adding to it even more!

Ooohhhhh I am sooooooo angry for you!!!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Re: I am feeling so gutted - another moan at BA

Oooh I really amriled now! Is there no way you can use a credit card to get new flights for now and then claim your money back through your travel insurance? I dunno, I am just cluthing at straws for you!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:26 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreamfish View Post
It really looks like we wont be coming to NZ on our recce afterall. We cant rebook - no available seats. Inadvisable to switch airlines cos we lose money - plus there are no available flights for us.

Which means we cant attend all the job interviews we have lined up (7 i think - they are senior management level jobs, few and far btwn).

So we could be looking at a couple months away now which scuppers the plans i had for the ITA/case officer. would have been helpful to our application to have a job offer lined up.

i feel so miserable.
as far as I can tell they have to rebook you - or is the problem that you only have a specific time period you can go??

my FIL and my parents are both in the same bucket and are both rebooked at later or earlier dates.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:31 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

i feel so miserable.
Ahhh, that's crap mate. Bloody BA, what a joke. Any chance you can reschedule interviews or do a conference call via webcam link? There must be some hope for you, fingers crossed.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:40 pm

thanks all.

from what i can make out (having been on phone to norwich union, BA and Trailfinders all morning) is that BA can rebook/reroute - but there are no flights available a week before or week after our planned date - so we would have to rebook sometime April (March is a busy month for us - our baby's first birthday which i wont miss for the world, other daughter's biurthday too, their christening - has to be now, its the only leave my brother has available to him from the army any time soon, and Dad's memorial).

If we cancel through travel agent we lose 10% of our booking, about £400. And even then we arent guaranteed a full refund from BA should the flight go ahead - in which case it was our decision to cancel because they provided a flight.

Norwich Union underwriters said that if BA cancel then there is nothing I can claim from the travel insurance.

I do have some funds available to buy new tickets with another airline - but there are no flights around the time we have the interviews booked up. And to be honest I dont want to fork out for other flights till i have my refund - which according to our agent will take 8-12 weeks to reach us.

So demoralising.

So yes we have webcam ready and we will have to do job interviews that way hoping that is acceptible to them.

just i dont fancy doing a recce so close to actually moving out there. (recce beginning of year, emmigrate end of year is far more favourable than recce one month, move out there a month later).

i just dont know what to do for the best. BA suggest just hold tight - we will email you on the 3rd if the flight is cancelled.

*great*.

Last edited by dreamfish; Jan 25th 2007 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:44 pm

thanks all.

from what i can make out (having been on phone to norwich union, BA and Trailfinders all morning) is that BA can rebook/reroute - but there are no flights available a week before or week after our planned date - so we would have to rebook sometime April (March is a busy month for us - birthdays, christening, and Dad's memorial).

If we cancel through travel agent we lose 10% of our booking, about £400. And even then we arent guaranteed a full refund from BA should the flight go ahead - in which case it was our decision to cancel because they provided a flight.

Norwich Union underwriters said that if BA cancel then there is nothing I can claim from the travel insurance.

I do have some funds available to buy new tickets with another airline - but there are no flights around the time we have the interviews booked up. And to be honest I dont want to fork out for other flights till i have my refund - which according to our agent will take 8-12 weeks to reach us.

So demoralising.

So yes we have webcam ready and we will have to do job interviews that way hoping that is acceptible to them.

just i dont fancy doing a recce so close to actually moving out there. (recce beginning of year, emmigrate end of year is far more favourable than recce one month, move out there a month later).

i just dont know what to do for the best. BA suggest just hold tight - we will email you on the 3rd if the flight is cancelled.

*great*.
I know they're doing all the planning for the strike to go ahead but it may still not happen - BA have to weigh up if giving in to the union is cheaper and better than having the strike lose them hundreds of millions of pounds and customers.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by islandmom View Post
I know they're doing all the planning for the strike to go ahead but it may still not happen - BA have to weigh up if giving in to the union is cheaper and better than having the strike lose them hundreds of millions of pounds and customers.
yes of course there is still that little glimmer of hope that it may still go ahead, and i really hope it does. all this stress sorting out babysitters is about to tip me over the edge - dont need BA cancelling our flight too!!!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:48 pm

yes of course there is still that little glimmer of hope that it may still go ahead, and i really hope it does. all this stress sorting out babysitters is about to tip me over the edge - dont need BA cancelling our flight too!!!
I feel for you mate - flying is stressful at the best of times even when everything goes to plan.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by islandmom View Post
I feel for you mate - flying is stressful at the best of times even when everything goes to plan.
i understand these guys have to make a point, but they are messing with peoples lives. People attending funerals, people visiting sick friends and relatives, people working for a living - unions are spawn of the devil - along with credit cards!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:04 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Dudette, what a hassle. I feel you mate, really I do. Re, the webcam, my husband is doing a lot of interviews via webcam so I reckon that'll be good for them. They have been known to offer jobs to people out of the country. What about the prospect of not doing a recce and just going out there?
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Littletoe View Post
Dudette, what a hassle. I feel you mate, really I do. Re, the webcam, my husband is doing a lot of interviews via webcam so I reckon that'll be good for them. They have been known to offer jobs to people out of the country. What about the prospect of not doing a recce and just going out there?
thanks toe-toe - thats quite reassuring actually. i wasnt sure how they would take the offer of a webcam, but thats good to read. thanks for that.

i am toying with the idea of no recce at all. its a risk, that i talked myself out of, but could probably talk myself in to.

its a valid excuse anyway if case officer asks why we have never been to NZ.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:16 pm
Sweeeeet!

thanks toe-toe - thats quite reassuring actually. i wasnt sure how they would take the offer of a webcam, but thats good to read. thanks for that.

i am toying with the idea of no recce at all. its a risk, that i talked myself out of, but could probably talk myself in to.

its a valid excuse anyway if case officer asks why we have never been to NZ.
It is a risk, but its exciting! We have a toddler and a baby and we've decided not to do things the easy way! We're renting an apartment, kind of like a holiday home in centre of Auckland, which will be our base. Steve will rent a car, and he'll attend any other interviews and possibly travel around the country. When an offer is made, we'll start looking for a propety to rent. That's not something you can really prearrange before you leave anyway. It'll be cheaper then all that flying. Some companies have apparantly offered jobs on the basis of a telephone interview. But other companies are less inclined, which is why Steve suggested video conferencing and so far no one has declined that. The obvious issue for companies is knowing if you're truly committed. Which is hard to prove while you're god knows how many miles away. Some companies have said to Steve that will wait for the right candidate.

I really hope it works out for you,

Nikki x
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

thanks all.

from what i can make out (having been on phone to norwich union, BA and Trailfinders all morning) is that BA can rebook/reroute - but there are no flights available a week before or week after our planned date - so we would have to rebook sometime April (March is a busy month for us - our baby's first birthday which i wont miss for the world, other daughter's biurthday too, their christening - has to be now, its the only leave my brother has available to him from the army any time soon, and Dad's memorial).

So demoralising.

*great*.
Hi there Dreamfish

Can I ask you why the travel agent are charging you 10% cancellation charges?

I used to work for Thomas Cook for 8 yrs until 2004 and mainly in the flights dept and if an airline strike and they cant accommodate you, then they allowed you to cancel with a full refund...I know things change in the travel business, but when its the airlines fault they usually allow cancellation with all the money back. I just looked at the BA website and at the moment they only seem to be offering full refund for the 30 and 31 Jan so it may be worth while seeing how long you can wait before you actually have to cancel

hope this helps

dawn
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

i feel so miserable.
oh babe, thats just horrible, i'm gutted for you. i'll send you lots of positive vibes & hope it all turns out ok in th end & that we see you here in NZ soon
Hve to give you BIG ((((((HUGS)))))) as i need to tart my karam around before i give you some more

xx

Last edited by poppets; Jan 25th 2007 at 7:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.