Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rental with Dog in mind

Rental with Dog in mind

Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:13 am
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rental with Dog in mind

Hi all, my sister in law is moving to Auckland in early March with her OH and there dog. They are searching for a rental property that will let them house the hound. Sadly there is nothing on trademe so does anyone have any links that may be able to help them. Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rental with Dog in mind

Originally Posted by wimpy
Hi all, my sister in law is moving to Auckland in early March with her OH and there dog. They are searching for a rental property that will let them house the hound. Sadly there is nothing on trademe so does anyone have any links that may be able to help them. Thanks
what area are you looking for in Auckland,we are in east Auckland,Howick,we brought our dog with us and found it very hard to get a rental with our dog....

we secured our rental while still in uk,but had to pay extra for a dog...you will find most rentals that allow dogs more expensive......most of them say no pets,but its worth asking them if they will accept the dog,some will give in at an extra cost.....

our landlord has 2 properties,he accepts dogs on both of these....i think the other one is empty at the moment,having said that we are paying a lot of money for rental,both lovely houses ,with pools,but we struggled to get rental with dog,so didn't have much choice....jacky
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

OneManAndHisDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rental with Dog in mind

It's not impossible to find rentals that will accept dogs but it is hard work. I think I found one site that you could search on to see whether dog's were acceptable, otherwise you have to look at every advert.

Expect to get asked odd questions as most people aren't used to the concept of having a dog in the house during the day and many have irrational fears - e.g. will he damage the paint on the walls??!?!?

As a broad generalisation, mid-range properties almost unanimously state that pets are not allowed, low-end are more likely to (should you deem the place fit to house them!) but high-end properties are most likely to consider dogs. Often, if a property hasn't been rented for a while the owner may be prepared to allow a tenant with a pet, even if they have displayed no pets on the advert.

Also, this isn't a particularly dog-friendly area with dogs banned from many areas (some understandable - National Parks, some irrational) and many parks insisting on leads. That said, if you get near a beach you can generally walk the dog before 10 and after 6 in daylight savings.