DIY Plumbing

Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY Plumbing

Probably a question for you Bev!

I'm going to renovate my bathroom and probably shower room at a later date. How much plumbing work am I allowed to do if any? For the bathroom I'm probably just going to replace the sink cabinet and replace taps, the shower room, probably just replace the shower tray and shower head. Can I do this or does this require the work of a qualified plumber?

Simon
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DIY Plumbing

If you go by law - you can't even change a tap washer - but of course everyone does it.

If the shower tray is larger, you could run into troubles with traps matching up and you'll need a plumber there. However, a normal plug and waste should be ok.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:42 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you're just replacing like for like, ie updating the vanity unit, shower etc then that's ok to do yourself. Our bathroom needs totally re-doing and OH is a plumber by trade although has not worked as plumber for some years. We enquired about taking out the bath, replacing the shower, vanity and putting in a new toilet in the bathroom and adding a shower unit to the separate w.c room. All stuff OH is perfectly capable of doing himself. However, because this involves new sewer connections, pipes runs etc it means scale plans need to be done and submitted for planning permission and qualified plumber, drainlayer etc need to be employed with certificates etc. So a job we could have done ourselves for around $2k will cost at least double that!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys duly noted!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:53 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

is there a definitive list of what we need concents or professional tradesman for?

i am bit of a diy-er meself - will have a go at anything but realise my limitations.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dreamfish
is there a definitive list of what we need concents or professional tradesman for?

i am bit of a diy-er meself - will have a go at anything but realise my limitations.
Oh good, you can do this bloody bathroom for me!!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Oh good, you can do this bloody bathroom for me!!
heheh - i intend to do just the same in our new place - rip out the shower, knock thru the joining wall so that bath and shower in same room.

Gonna cost an arm and leg to use a tradesman - so unfair
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Probably a question for you BEVS!

I'm going to renovate my bathroom and probably shower room at a later date. How much plumbing work am I allowed to do if any? For the bathroom I'm probably just going to replace the sink cabinet and replace taps, the shower room, probably just replace the shower tray and shower head. Can I do this or does this require the work of a qualified plumber?

Simon

I've waited until the plumber husband got back from his days toil , so I could check with him on what seems to be the norm .

Per TeamEmbos quality post, husband also states that as long as you are doing exactly like for like per the above , you will be OK.

is there a definitive list of what we need consents or professional tradesman for?
i intend to rip out the shower, knock thru the joining wall so that bath and shower in same room
Bit of a guide to BUILDING CONSENTS on the Consumer Build website

Some councils will give a free consultation with a building inspector , so you can run through your projects and options with them before you get started.

Husband states that a rule of thumb would be that anything which would effect the house plans & drawings would require Building Consent. Such consents require for all building works to be signed off by a registered tradesman.
Therefore, if you are knocking through a wall or moving around a bathroom, that would effect your house plans and so you would need the registered tradesman to commission the work.
It's usual for house plans and consents to be made available when selling on a house. Our plans, for instance show all alterations to the original structure & section over the past 30 years..
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:33 am

its ruddy expensive getting these consents though isnt it?
I wanted to build a single car port - and i was advised by a tradesman that it would cost anything up to $2000 to get the plans approved and the appropriate consents before i even go and buy the materials.

$4000 if i wanted to build over the 1.5m from our neighbour's boundary.

Have i had some BS or is this true?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Bev!! Thought you'd find out for defo...
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

its ruddy expensive getting these consents though isnt it?
I wanted to build a single car port - and i was advised by a tradesman that it would cost anything up to $2000 to get the plans approved and the appropriate consents before i even go and buy the materials.

$4000 if i wanted to build over the 1.5m from our neighbour's boundary.

Have i had some BS or is this true?
Not at all sure Dreamfish. Here is a link to the Building Consent Fees for Wellington

All I would suggest is you avail yourself of any free consultation your council will give. Simply walk in , queue and then ask them what certain B.Cs cost.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:02 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

We have had to renovate our bathroom. Got a plumber (site member's hubby)and a builder to put in the shower. Then, last week we decided to replace the vanity - took it out and .... the floor was rotten underneath! There had been a slow leak from the hot pipe to the tap for God knows how many years. So. The house insurance is going to cover it (ASB) and we're getting the floor replaced and new tiles laid - couldn't be better really