Removals

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Removals

Hi,

Would like some advice on removals. We haven't got that much to take as all our furniture is hand me down stuff. Any recommendations on how to move our stuff or on companies would be greatly appreciated. (probably be quarter of a container !).

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Removals

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi,

Would like some advice on removals. We haven't got that much to take as all our furniture is hand me down stuff. Any recommendations on how to move our stuff or on companies would be greatly appreciated. (probably be quarter of a container !).

Thanks
Hi we havent made the move yet, but have had quotes from pss and pickfords. We have chosen to go with pickfords they were very friendly and helpful and their quote was reasonable. But I suppose the proof will be once we move
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi
We are in middle of getting quotes & after looking at threads on the forum I made a list of questions to ask the removals as they are all there to sell you their product. (Having a pad & piece of paper & making notes I think made them realise I wasn't going to be an easy sell.)

The questions included not only what they do this side but also when the container arrives in NZ -

"What happens if " - questions are good as well e.g what if our house isnt ready & we have to store the goods - what is the cost , are they insured , who is the main contact etc

Can they tell you if they 'track' the ship.

What 'hidden' costs are there

what advise do they offer on items you shouldn't take and why e.g 2 companies have told us that bamboo / cane isn't great and grasses ( dried grasses ), liquids , including alcohol ( I am soooo going to enjoy getting rid of the booze !!!!) no foodstuff - so be emptying your cupboards and let them run down. - no bulk buying

One of the companies also said we shouldn't take new stuff, as in NZ you are only supposed to take used or owned goods - so if you are buying new take off packaging , labels etc.

We have also been advised that animal produce isn't great - this you would think is obvious but it also means feather filled products e.g pillows , duvets etc ( I am still awaiting further advice re this one ).
They shouldn't give insurance advise as they aren't regulated by FSA but they can give information.

For a 20ft container the quotes so far have been from £2,900 - £3,000 so hardly anything in it really. what will do it for us will be the arrival of stuff !!

hope this helps
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Payens is an unknown quantity at this point

Crown and Allied Pickfords are the two that I've mostly heard positive things about, helped by the fact that these two companies also have branches here, so you will be serviced by one company throughout the process. Some other removal companies let another company handle the NZ leg of the process with variable results.

Decided to plump for A. Pickfords in the end (I moved stuff filling a quarter of a shared 20" container). Quotes from Allied Pickfords and Crown were between 1150-1250 pounds for full door to door service and some bargaining on my part. Note you will have to pay for any MAF charges at this end, but this is pretty standard with any removal company - just make sure you don't get ripped off.

On insurance, definitely worth getting a third party quote (e.g. Letton Percival), as the inital removal company insurance quote is exorbitant (around 3% or more of the value of what your transporting, compared to less than 2% for Letton). Some of the removal companies let you bargain them down if you get a good third party quote.

Good luck
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

newnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud of

Beware Pickfords! Great in UK not so great here. We used them for continuity and even though our quote quoted door to door - NZ Pickfords are trying to charge us $200 extra as we are 36 miles away from port!! Apparently only 30 mile delivery included - so $200 for 6 miles. Other charges are OK - charged $260 for MAF inspection of 11 boxes and $95 plus GST for cleaning of 3 things. BUT READ YOUR SMALL PRINT VERY CAREFULLY.
Also - stuff has been in port since 24th May and they are only delivering tomorrow!!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Payens is an unknown quantity at this point

It takes 10 days for clearance from MAF they told me. Isn't this standard among removal companies? So if your container arrived on the 24th May, it isn't so far away from that 10 days? Friend had a similar experience with Crown regarding the time delay.

I'd agree though on the point regarding checking the small print. I live close to central Welly, so no problems thus far. Am paying around $200 for MAF customs, which asking about is quite standard (they're checking 3 boxes but no cleaning required - I did the Jeyes Fluid thing in the UK). They checked my golf clubs and my vacumn cleaner, so no great surprises there. You should definitely clean your golf clubs and empty the vacumn cleaner before sending them off!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

The MAF menace!

Our main shipment of twenty boxes came through without a hitch, not even inspected even though there were footie boots and wellingtons on the inventory.

Some other stuff that came through with a friends container had a large metal stick poked in the top of the boxes, breaking most of a dinner set and damaging saucepans, frying pans and the lids to go with them (luckily they are still useable).

Our daughter (3 years old) had her precious Dora wellington boots destroyed at Auckland airport. If she'd been wearing them it would have been okay, but they were in a suitcase!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi,

Thanks
We have Robinsons, Crown, Allied Pickfords and John Mason coming out in the next week to give us quotes. Will let you know how we get on.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RobDon
We have Robinsons, Crown, Allied Pickfords and John Mason coming out in the next week to give us quotes. Will let you know how we get on.
Thank you for all your help. Still not sure the best option as we haven't got that much stuff!!

Thanks