Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

living in Orewa/Tauranga, opinions please?

living in Orewa/Tauranga, opinions please?

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

chippy-steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in Orewa/Tauranga, opinions please?

Can anyone offer advice on living in Orewa or Tauranga?
Is the cost of living different between the 2 places, which has the best schools, doctors etc?
Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in Orewa/Tauranga, opinions please?

Live on the Shore but love Orewa and if I didn't work in the CBD and have kids that need a little more in terms of what we want facility wise I would more than happily live there.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chippy-steve
Is the cost of living different between the 2 places, which has the best schools, doctors etc?
Thanks.
I can only comment on Orewa as I've never lived in Tauranga. I found Orewa really lovely. There are alot of older people due to the area being flat and some I have spoken to have said they feel 10 years younger living so close to the water. The schools are excellent and I found that there was also alot for kids to do and always something going on. Depending on what your looking for out of an area. Doctors are great too but i found doctors great everywhere I was. The hibiscus coast is very popular with young families. I'm sure someone on this site can advise you on Tauranga. Good luck
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:16 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippy-steve
Thanks.
Hi chippy-steve,

We live in a Papamoa, which is on a small peninsula of land over Tauranga Harbour Bridge. Tauranga as a whole is a big area and covers many such "suburbs." It would be down to whether you want views, rural, city or beach really as that will decide the area. In Papamoa and Mount Maunganui we are most definately beach living! It's all about the 25km+ stretch of golden sand lapping the Pacific Oceab, the surf, the sun, ahhh, I'll stop for fear of sounding like a Tourism advert!

We have 4 kids aged, 16, 14, 10 and 6 and there is plenty for all of them to do - and us too! Some good schools, some seem not so good. Primaries are heavily zoned here, apart from Mount Primary that is not. Have a look in the Wiki at City Guide Tauranga and there are some links to some of the schools. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tauranga_City_Guide

Our doctors are good, same day appointments, nice people - and you usually get about half an hour if you need it! But as with all of NZ you pay for it.

Cost of housing in Tauranga is one of the most unaffordable in comparison to wages - which are some of the lowest! However, as with anywhere, there are still some ways to get a deal and some of the new build stuff and housing in Papamoa East which is next to be developed are cheaper.

Have a look at www.eves.co.nz and www.realestate.co.nz

I have only holidayed in Orewa and it was lovely. It too has a great beach and has the bonus of easy access in to Auckland.

Good luck.

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jun 3rd 2009 at 9:18 pm. Reason: Add link