Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Remote working from NZ

Remote working from NZ

Old May 7th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Marklar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remote working from NZ

Does anyone have experience / advice on working remotely for a UK company while in NZ?

I'm currently contracting through my own LTD company in the UK and moving back to NZ soon due to my work visa expiring. A company in the UK has asked me to stay contracted to them and work remotely for a few more months once I get back.

Big question I have is can I keep my UK Ltd company running in the UK and just pay myself in NZ from that?

Cheers
Old May 7th 2013, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remote working from NZ

Originally Posted by Marklar
Does anyone have experience / advice on working remotely for a UK company while in NZ?

I'm currently contracting through my own LTD company in the UK and moving back to NZ soon due to my work visa expiring. A company in the UK has asked me to stay contracted to them and work remotely for a few more months once I get back.

Big question I have is can I keep my UK Ltd company running in the UK and just pay myself in NZ from that?

Cheers
Not entirely sure......

I think you can work from overseas - ie whilst residing in NZ whilst providing services in the UK.
Any income that you earn from work in the UK will be liable to tax in the UK and as such you will need to declare this to HMRC, but also you will need to declare that you aren't domiciled in the UK.

NZ IRD will also be interested in your world wide income so will also want to know about the income earned in the UK.

As NZ and UK have a double taxation agreement, any tax that you pay in the UK will be taken into account in NZ and as such you won't have to pay tax on it twice, but I'd expect you will be expected to pay tax in nz on any outstanding untaxed UK income (eg your personal allowance ?).

All a bit complicated I reckon. You need to speak to a professional.