reccie advice

Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

welshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the rough
Default reccie advice

Hey guys,

The OH and myself will be heading out for a reccie in April 09 for 2 weeks.

We are looking at moving to welly in Dec'10.

Duriny the reccie I was debating a bit of a holiday from welly to Palmerston North, round trip of about 5 days, anyone done this? would you advise not doing this and just concentrate in/around welly?

One last question, being in IT I assume I would find it easier to work in Welly CBD, how far out would you say would give a best balance of life/commute?

Many thanks

John
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

welshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: reccie advice

Anyone?

Apologies for bumping again so soon.

Thanks

John
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John,

Don't think I can be of much help, except to say stayed in Palmeston North for 1 night last August. We were enroute from Napier and wanted to take a look at New Plymouth before heading back to Auckland. Palmeston North has a really quirky rugby museum - worth going to if you are a rugby nutter, which we all are. Apart from that, didn't find too much else to rave about. However, that may be because it wasn't a place we were interested in relocating to!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

Not sure I'd take 5 days over that, unless you take a very scenic route, say go up the coast, through the Manawatu Gorge and back down through the Wairarapa.......making sure to call in at the Tui brewery and Stonehenge on the way. Once you've driven round Palmy to get a feel for the place it's not got a huge number of tourist attractions to make you hang around.

I work in IT, based in Wellington CBD, and live in Raumati South on Kapiti coast.....40 mins to 1 hour drive depending on time of day.

We do a fair amount of work for a big client in Palmy....about 1 hour 15 drive if I go from home.

A two day trip at most I'd suggest
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You may also like to try contacting The Wellies for advice.

HTH
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Cheers All, more invaluable advice.

Will check out the Wellies site, many thanks again.

John
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by welshman213
Hey guys,

The OH and myself will be heading out for a reccie in April 09 for 2 weeks.

We are looking at moving to welly in Dec'10.

Duriny the reccie I was debating a bit of a holiday from welly to Palmerston North, round trip of about 5 days, anyone done this? would you advise not doing this and just concentrate in/around welly?

One last question, being in IT I assume I would find it easier to work in Welly CBD, how far out would you say would give a best balance of life/commute?

Many thanks

John
of all the places in Nz, palmerston north is not worth 5 days!. its only about 3-4 hours from wellington, if you want to visit it you can do so in a day easy. unless you are planning to look for work there, but other than that its not that great. if you want a longer road trip do Taupo/ Roturua or even Napier. The top of the south island is also nice if you want to take the ferry across.

Are you specifically looking to base yourself in wellington? It jobs would most likely be in the city, the kapiti coast is really nice if you want a rural type setting, about 45 mins or so away. there is ok train services from (i think) paraparaumu, futher out from that there is very few trains.

you can get a very nice life balance within wellington too, out towards island bay is nice, seatoun, or even towards petone. i am not a fan of johnsonville area though.

Ure not looking to auckland then?

I like wellington, its small but has the most european feel to the way the city is set up and functions from all Nz cities. And you can feel like you are living in a rural setting whislt being 20 mins away from t ehCBD in places too...
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newkiwi
of all the places in Nz, palmerston north is not worth 5 days!. its only about 3-4 hours from wellington, if you want to visit it you can do so in a day easy. unless you are planning to look for work there, but other than that its not that great. if you want a longer road trip do Taupo/ Roturua or even Napier. The top of the south island is also nice if you want to take the ferry across.

Are you specifically looking to base yourself in wellington? It jobs would most likely be in the city, the kapiti coast is really nice if you want a rural type setting, about 45 mins or so away. there is ok train services from (i think) paraparaumu, futher out from that there is very few trains.

you can get a very nice life balance within wellington too, out towards island bay is nice, seatoun, or even towards petone. i am not a fan of johnsonville area though.

Ure not looking to auckland then?

I like wellington, its small but has the most european feel to the way the city is set up and functions from all Nz cities. And you can feel like you are living in a rural setting whislt being 20 mins away from t ehCBD in places too...
Many thanks NewKiwi,

To be honest we are thinking that Welly Might give a better balance, but if the bulk for the work is in Auckland, then we will have to look there.

With regards to areas around wellington, I quite fancy Roseneath. Does anyone know what transport links are like around this area, also any info on local schools, as I will be going on the Girlfriends application as an Englsh Teacher.

Thanks again.

John