Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island - Methven area

Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island - Methven area

Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:05 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all
Default Re: Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island - Methven ar

Originally Posted by kodachrome
Thanks and updated, added Conditional formatting (3 colour, per line), added Tesco IE prices and converted back to GBP baseline. Made best guess per your notes on the product type (ie not Tesco Value unless no other option):

http://freepdfhosting.com/3469f3261d.pdf

Results for this shopping basket, using Tesco vs your NZ prices:
Tesco UK: £95.08
Tesco Ireland: £108.82
NZ Price: £93.01

How correct are your NZ prices? The above would indicate that despite the complaints about the prices on groceries, the overall figure (there are swings both ways) is similar to the UK and about 10% cheaper than Ireland, which is a similarly populated island, but one that should be cheaper due to geo-proximity but isnt due to massive taxation (for one VAT/GST in Ireland is 23%), high alcohol duty and mineral oil duties, motor/road tax thats 10x (yes up to ten times) the price as in the UK etc.

PS: I am aware of the misleading nature however of comparing goods in different currencies and employment markets, to be more correct, local purchasing power would need to be factored.

Flash I do love your sheet I forgot to add that with all that research I am just chuffed with the wine prices that's me sorted !
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of
Default Re: Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island - Methven ar

Originally Posted by MrsGreen2013
Hi - my NZ prices are from the countdown website this morning. I guess also pack and save may be cheaper! Gues the key is to grow veggies, buy your staples from where ever has offers and in my case I need to learn to cook :-)
You are right there....if you have the time to go to each of the stores with specials on you can get some good deals!

But it's very time consuming & the petrol you will use running between them will make the savings less if any at all...with a litre of petrol currently $2.20.......I have been there and done it...., I don't bother anymore...

I have done the opposite & done a full shop online at Tesco and I found it work out much cheaper buying the equivalent items that I personally buy plus more treats than I can buy here (either them not being available or not being able to afford them) ....oh and personal items....I always go on about these but being a lady in NZ isn't cheap...

Good luck with your research...
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:33 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi pixiewink and davros1984, I love your posts too. Keeps me sane and makes me laugh. Thanks very much.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:34 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pixiewink
You are right there....if you have the time to go to each of the stores with specials on you can get some good deals!

But it's very time consuming & the petrol you will use running between them will make the savings less if any at all...with a litre of petrol currently $2.20.......I have been there and done it...., I don't bother anymore...

I have done the opposite & done a full shop online at Tesco and I found it work out much cheaper buying the equivalent items that I personally buy plus more treats than I can buy here (either them not being available or not being able to afford them) ....oh and personal items....I always go on about these but being a lady in NZ isn't cheap...

Good luck with your research...

To be honest yes I think tesco is much cheaper over all, I didn't use any 'specials' here I buy 3 for £10 you can get 750g mince, a whole chicken and pork chops for £10 - it all adds up, plus take into account the salary difference.

However I think these exercises, what ever the result will help people be prepared.

I won't let it put me off NZ at all I will just have to be more forward planning than I am here and see how I get on.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:37 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great way to think mrsgreen2013. You sound more prepared then I was and I did a lot of research! These forums are great to get info and are great for supporting us that are struggling. You'll be fine. Xx
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Default Re: Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island

Originally Posted by davros1984
I love your posts and those of pippalonghorn. I finally feel that there are others on here who see how ridiculous the situation here really is.

I do love NZ, I could quite happily spend many years here. However, with my desire to buy a house and start a family, I no longer feel that this place is viable (even on a really good salary). I love my job and I really enjoy going to work. I'm also hugely into rugby, so its definitely a great place to be. The climate up here in Auckland is a bonus as well, 16-17 degrees in the winter is just lovely.

What you've said about the UK is bang on. London is an overpopulated hole, along with a vast majority of the South East. I would also strongly advise people thinking of coming to NZ to look elsewhere in the UK first (or even parts of Europe). NZ is just too expensive now to buy a house and start a family (certainly in Auckland, CHCH and possibly WLG). Sure you can live elsewhere in NZ - but thats where the vast majority of jobs are.

For those who don't believe me... this is an email I've had from a real estate agent this morning. Look at the section on recent sales. The 2-bedder in Forest Hill at $510K is a JOKE, also so is the 51A Aeroview Drive Property (which I went and looked at) that sold for $610,000. Its CV was $390K!

http://emailcb.com/rv/ff003f55f142ba...48bfd81dc7f439
wow I must say we'd never considered the north island so had not looked at prices!!! Wow now I know why people are finding it difficult - yes I agree for those prices you could get a lovely place in the UK (not south east where we are)

Just fingers crossed I can find a job in the South Island away from crazy real estate prices or I may be living in my tent
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

To be honest yes I think tesco is much cheaper over all, I didn't use any 'specials' here I buy 3 for £10 you can get 750g mince, a whole chicken and pork chops for £10 - it all adds up, plus take into account the salary difference.

However I think these exercises, what ever the result will help people be prepared.

I won't let it put me off NZ at all I will just have to be more forward planning than I am here and see how I get on.
Good on you
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island

wow I must say we'd never considered the north island so had not looked at prices!!! Wow now I know why people are finding it difficult - yes I agree for those prices you could get a lovely place in the UK (not south east where we are)

Just fingers crossed I can find a job in the South Island away from crazy real estate prices or I may be living in my tent
Where in the South Island are you considering & what type of work?
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...f-going-hungry

An interesting article
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:46 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink
Why thank you....I wondered if my honesty may get me lynched...
Just give as good as you get if the rah - rah - rah for New Zealand, I'm all right Jack ex-pats take you to task. Just ask for a lend of their rose tinted spectacles !
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:55 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
It is not my intention to speak negatively about NZ all of the time. I just worry about people coming here who thought like I did! (There may be none)
You can't tell anyone who is due to emigrate anything negative, they will not or cannot believe you. That's not aimed at you personally. They just think, 'yeah, well, that's just you.'

Those who know it all about emigrating are usually the ones who have yet to do it. The kind of people who's great plan has been happening, 'next year' for about 30 years !
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Some of the houses are no different than living in a tent
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kodachrome

PS: I am aware of the misleading nature however, of comparing goods in different currencies and employment markets. To be more correct, local purchasing power would need to be factored.
Absolutely correct. For it to be meaningful , one does needs to factor in net earnings and therefore purchase power.

Sometimes a better calculation is to convert costs into % of working hours and minutes.

So. For the UK you put every single thing you buy & convert that to a % of your net earnings - to include your benefits , if you get them

Then you are completely ruthless and do the exact same ref. NZ . Much depends on the actual NZ net income.

For many of us that have been here a fair few years , please remember that for us, costs have gone up and wages have remained static . Or for some of us , reduced. So, the place has become far more expensive to live in. Just as per Ireland.

Also note that just because any of us counsel caution per our own experiences, it does not mean we intend to put anyone off coming to NZ. It is simply a sharing of our 'on the ground' experiences. It also doesn't mean that we are all somehow totally discontent with our NZ lot and dislike the place. It just means that some are wishing to state that they find their NZ lives more restricting than they hoped it would be, regardless of research or otherwise.
This won't just be because of income and disposable income after costs. There may be other factors. Support from families and friends for instance.

However, I do understand people wishing to look at supermarket pricing as a grocery shop is something we all do.

edit to add...

I'm posting as a poster , not a mod. Most all of my posts are as a poster, not a mod.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 1st 2013 at 4:13 pm. Reason: spilling
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Sometimes a better calculation is to convert costs into % of working hours and minutes.

This is exactly what we have done......
Old Aug 1st 2013, 4:08 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Couldn't have said it any better BEVS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.