Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island - Methven area

Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island - Methven area

Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:51 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island - Methven area

Hi

My husband has been offered a good position in rural south Nz.
about 70mins for ChCh.

When i say wages to survive on i mean a basic standard of living.
Here in the UK we dont have alot of money atall and can manage.

I know moving to NZ the wages arent great and things are expensive but there are so many positives that dont involve materialism in any way.but you need a certain amount of money to survive.

To support a wife and 1yr old and 3 yr old. what wages would my husband need to earn to make to move feasible?

Thanks in Advance
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:02 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all
Default Re: Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island

Hi,

When you say rural - where exactly ?
We too are in the early throws of working out our finances for the next year or so and spent last night budgeting like crazy.

My aunt lives in Timaru (south of chch) and on our most recent visit we did find things quite pricey. However like you say if you arent materialistic then it is do able. The best things in NZ really are free, the landscape and outdoor life in the south island is wonderful - have you been before? Take a tent with you for awesome camping holidays.

I think i personally found the groceries to be more expensive than the UK, however if you grow your own veg, bulk by the staples like rice and pasta.

We are planning to rent relatively cheaply before buying somewhere and are looking at about $300-350 a week rental.

I am yet to find out about the utilities - so I will watch your post with eager anticipation of someone replying to you.

You would be well served to also pay a visit to Primark for a whole heap for kiddies clothes to last you, I am planning to buy a lot of things here before i go and whilst i am on my London wage and then ship it over.

Good luck with your research ! when are you thinking of going?

Sarah
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistically what wages can you survive on in Nz(rural)south island

Whatever you survive on in the UK times it by 2.8 and you'll have a rough figure what you'd need for a similar life over here.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:07 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Methven/ashburton around that area

My husband worked near Geraldine. He works in agriculture and would be going with accredited emplyer.

when you say 2.8 times do you mean £s as in he earns 30k here so youd want £84k or is that 84k in dollars?

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Jul 30th 2013 at 9:09 am.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:12 am
Nz

Originally Posted by MrsGreen2013
Hi,

When you say rural - where exactly ?
We too are in the early throws of working out our finances for the next year or so and spent last night budgeting like crazy.

My aunt lives in Timaru (south of chch) and on our most recent visit we did find things quite pricey. However like you say if you arent materialistic then it is do able. The best things in NZ really are free, the landscape and outdoor life in the south island is wonderful - have you been before? Take a tent with you for awesome camping holidays.

I think i personally found the groceries to be more expensive than the UK, however if you grow your own veg, bulk by the staples like rice and pasta.

We are planning to rent relatively cheaply before buying somewhere and are looking at about $300-350 a week rental.

I am yet to find out about the utilities - so I will watch your post with eager anticipation of someone replying to you.

You would be well served to also pay a visit to Primark for a whole heap for kiddies clothes to last you, I am planning to buy a lot of things here before i go and whilst i am on my London wage and then ship it over.

Good luck with your research ! when are you thinking of going?

Sarah
yes thats what we were going to go. pack the whole suitcase full of primarni gear

we are looking at aug/sept next year.would have been this year but our son is due any day now. we have a rough idea how much we will be offered in a contract but it still needs to add up. it seems alot of people get a nsty shock if they dont do their homework on costs
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
When i say wages to survive on i mean a basic standard of living.
Here in the UK we dont have alot of money atall and can manage.
For some $65k would be plenty enough and for others $165k would be a struggle.

Nobody here but you will know what standard of living you are trying to achieve, you'll need to determine how much you already have /or going to need to put a roof over your head and pay for the basic necessities of life. Are you renting or buying, have you looked at costs of housing places where you are hoping to live. Only you know how much deposit and mortgage you require if you are buying a place and if you will be buying or financing a car and such like? You're going to have to do the maths.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/

http://www.countdown.co.nz/
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:19 am
Nz

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
For some $65k would be plenty enough and for others $165k would be a struggle.

Nobody here but you will know what standard of living you are trying to achieve, you'll need to determine how much you already have /or going to need to put a roof over your head and pay for the basic necessities of life. Are you renting or buying, have you looked at costs of housing places where you are hoping to live. Only you know how much deposit and mortgage you require if you are buying a place and if you will be buying or financing a car and such like? You're going to have to do the maths.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/

http://www.countdown.co.nz/
rent is around 300 a week. wont be thinking about buying unless we are def staying. my husband will get residency within 2 years. iv looked at car prices ect.,

quote for container is around 5k or more. but we dont have 5k worth of stuff so suitcases it will be. his wages will be at least 75k but just doesnt seem like it will go far,

thanks for those links. initially looking at food prices i was like ekkk thats alot but we eat alot of rubbish hear so ill end up skinnier there lol

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Jul 30th 2013 at 9:25 am.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:25 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all

My husband worked near Geraldine. He works in agriculture and would be going with accredited emplyer.

when you say 2.8 times do you mean £s as in he earns 30k here so youd want £84k or is that 84k in dollars?
Oh Geraldine - love it there!!
Always stop and get a Hokey Pokey ice cream in Ashburton on the way from CHCH to Timaru
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Well $75k is liveable; you won't be living the high life but certainly wouldn't expect you would go without very much, especially if youre a stay at home mum growing stuff and cooking from scratch. You can get by on about $125 - 130 pw for food, cleaning and toiletries

Depending on the house you rent though, heating might eat a big chunk of budget.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:36 am
Nz

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Well $75k is liveable; you won't be living the high life but certainly wouldn't expect you would go without very much, especially if youre a stay at home mum growing stuff and cooking from scratch. You can get by on about $125 - 130 pw for food, cleaning and toiletries

Depending on the house you rent though, heating might eat a big chunk of budget.
Thanks

i will be working when my eldest goes to school.

depending on the offer we may get our rent paid for which will be nice

we dont enjoy going shopping,cinema, commercial thing. we love cycling camping fishing canoeing all of which isnt very practical here.

my husbands in farming and has such a passion for his job. he works long long hours and his pay is brilliant for hours he does,

over in NZ he would get more time with us as a family which is more important than anything. you cant buy back the momments that matter
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:37 am
Nz

Originally Posted by MrsGreen2013
Oh Geraldine - love it there!!
Always stop and get a Hokey Pokey ice cream in Ashburton on the way from CHCH to Timaru
ill ask him about the icecream lol

he loved Geraldine,he worked for woodleys while he was there.He would have gone back right away but he met me in uk
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

$84,000
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:20 am
Nz

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
$84,000
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

we have made ends meet on $72000 per year income before tax, for a family of 4 and paying $350 wk rent. It was fine, but there was little left over for holidays or meals out or anything. We have more now, thank goodness, but to my mind, it's certainly do-able on $70-80K.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

What about visits back home? Would you still like to see your parents? Or ready to break with them completely. If you still want to see your family every few years have a look at flight prices. 4 people will probably cost about $9000. If you want to go every two years you need to put at least $375 per month aside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.