Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Re-introducing myself -Everthing takes sooo long!.. to mainforum

Re-introducing myself -Everthing takes sooo long!.. to mainforum

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

to-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really nice
Red face Re-introducing myself -Everthing takes sooo long!.. to mainforum

Hi

I introduced myself and my family a while ago but as this process takes so long and I had no news about anything I haven't posted just read others!

My husband is a consultant and unfortunatley there aren't many openings for him medically over in NZ but we are very very close to getting one - probably the only one in that area for the next 10 years! so we are really stressed by it all.

We should know by the end of August. So we will either be really disappointed or frantic with so much to do. I think that is the hardest thing, we all know that if we get the job there is so much to do - sell the house, hand in notice, tell family, pack our whole life into a container, settle (in christchurch) and fill in all of those forms!!

I worry about getting everything sorted out on time and in the right order ie can't sell the house until we get the job (no point), but can't move without selling it, and it goes on ....

So if anyone works at christchurch hospital, has moved from nhs to a dhb in nz and can advise us on the process (did you get any assitance, financial or oteherwise), general info on christchurch an areas with great schools (in short we want to build on a large plot and live a quite rural life yet be able to cycle to school and be close enough to friends for our kids to call for them), help with staying calm when everything goes mad or anything that will help or make me smile - please get in touch. It can seem so lonely.

I hope you are all ok and I have done loads of research about loads of stuff so we could help each other!

Anyway take care and good luck

Jen
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Re-introducing myself -Everthing takes sooo long!

Fingers crossed for the end of August then. Being in limbo is no fun at all is it.

I'm moving this thread to the main forum where more people will see it .

You're not on your own Jen. You have us Post away on anything and all sorts if you feel like it. It can help when you're playing that waiting game that so many of us know and remember.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Re-introducing myself -Everthing takes sooo long!.. to mainforum

Originally Posted by to-go-or-not-to-go
Hi

I introduced myself and my family a while ago but as this process takes so long and I had no news about anything I haven't posted just read others!

My husband is a consultant and unfortunatley there aren't many openings for him medically over in NZ but we are very very close to getting one - probably the only one in that area for the next 10 years! so we are really stressed by it all.

We should know by the end of August. So we will either be really disappointed or frantic with so much to do. I think that is the hardest thing, we all know that if we get the job there is so much to do - sell the house, hand in notice, tell family, pack our whole life into a container, settle (in christchurch) and fill in all of those forms!!

I worry about getting everything sorted out on time and in the right order ie can't sell the house until we get the job (no point), but can't move without selling it, and it goes on ....

So if anyone works at christchurch hospital, has moved from nhs to a dhb in nz and can advise us on the process (did you get any assitance, financial or oteherwise), general info on christchurch an areas with great schools (in short we want to build on a large plot and live a quite rural life yet be able to cycle to school and be close enough to friends for our kids to call for them), help with staying calm when everything goes mad or anything that will help or make me smile - please get in touch. It can seem so lonely.

I hope you are all ok and I have done loads of research about loads of stuff so we could help each other!

Anyway take care and good luck

Jen
Hi there i was just talking about this exct thing with my friend who is a nurse in NZ and i said why does it seem to take so flippin long for a person with medical qualifications (who are needed badly in NZ) to get their stuff sorted. She said she knew it was hopeless she is currently recruiting someone from overseas and it will be 6 months by the time everything is sorted (that doesnt include anything else other than the actual job requirements) She said its actually the same worldwide so it sounds to me as if something needs to be done to speed the process along aye....

Sorry im not much help but just thought i would pass that on.
All the very best and i hope it all soon hapens for you.

A good website (similar to ebay but a bit more kiwified lol) is www.trademe.co.nz which has a property for sale/rent section also cars for sale etc which will help you see the cost of things.
Also www.realenz.co.nz is a good property website some others are www.raywhite.co.nz www.harcourts.co.nz www.firstnaional.co.nz there are others some banks are the national bank ASB Bank Westpac bank ANZ Bank (iyou google them you will get the correct web sites.
Anything else stick it on here someone will be only too happy to help.
All the best
Cheers
Cally
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all
Default Re: Re-introducing myself -Everthing takes sooo long!.. to mainforum

rural life yet be able to cycle to school

cycle to school!!!!!

Jesus have you seen how bad nz drivers are and how fast people drive around in the sticks????
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

yep, and how bad the roads can become in a very short period of time......
they're not called Hi-Way Stabilizers for nothin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!
good luck to all the "lifestylers" out there, but it suprises me how many such folks filter back into the cities after a pretty short period of time............nothing like the country life is there??
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:55 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Hi Jen

I hope all goes well.

Things can move very quick we submitted our EOI late July and flew out on 31st December because we couldn't get an earlier flight, we also put our medicals off for 2 weeks while we went to Ireland - so it was a little over 4 months from EOI until PR Visa is passports and passports in our hands. Our case officer went on Bereavement leave just as she was allocated to us so when she came back she really appeared to 'throw herself' into the job of clearing her cases on return.

We were also fortunate as we put our house on the market Late August and had a buyer within 3 weeks, so we felt things were ment to be.

Although my husband needed to give 3 months notice because he was not going to work for a competitor in the UK and had kept the company well informed he gave 2 weeks notice.

Everything just fell into place for us. It would be nice if the same could happen to all.

Best of luck
Pauline