Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Did you take your TV to NZ?

Did you take your TV to NZ?

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of
Default Did you take your TV to NZ?

Did you take your TV to NZ? Did it work when you got it there?

We are considering taking ours but my sister's TV didn't work properly. I read somewhere that the hertz is different but have been told by an electrician, in NZ, the hertz is the same here as it is in NZ. Confused.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did you take your TV to NZ?

The transmission frequency of pictures in nz is the same as uk tellys.

However, sound transmission is of a different frequency, and so your telly may need re-tuned.

May be an idea to ask the manufacturer.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Thanks for that. Just going to email the manufacturer. Thanks again.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

You want to know if your TV can accept PAL B/G as well as PAL I
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Our Panasonic is still going strong three years later although we do run it through a Sky box
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

That's good to know - ours is a panasonic too.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:52 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to buy sky then buy a cheap as they come VHS from the Warehouse over here and tune your telly through it.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:21 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Our Sony TV works well, our friends also work (not sure of make), only problem we had was sound - ours is set for Dutch, just have to play with the languages.

Pauline
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:16 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

NZ Broadcast TV is part on VHF and part on UHF.

As far as i'm aware TVs made for the UK market are UHF only

But bring the TV anyway. You can buy a generic satellite receiver on TradeMe for $60-70 and (assuming you have a dish on your house) you can get Freeview.

Feed this into the AUX input on your UK TV and away you go.

Alternately, as P18PPS suggested, buy the cheapest VHS recorder you can find and use that to feed your TV.

Last edited by NakiMan; Jul 23rd 2008 at 6:19 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies you've all been so helpful. I'll definitely be brining it now. Thanks again.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

TV's been fine, a Panasonic lcd widescreen, but wish I'd sold my DAB Digital Radio tuner before I came out, as it's practically useless here. Does anyone know a best place in Auckland selling seperates, as I'll just look to replace it with a tuner.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Bakers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

This query is about DVD player rather than TV. Is there a simple way of getting a Panasonic DVD unlocked before we come out? We've looked on the web and it all seems very complicated. Cheers!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

My panasonic requires a special service remote control to unlock

On the other hand, I just bought a second player - a great little multi-region Toshiba that plays absolutely anything including DivX files. $58 in the Aplliance Shed
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Does anyone know a best place in Auckland selling seperates, as I'll just look to replace it with a tuner.
Try Stereoworld on Dominion Road http://www.stereoworld.co.nz/
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:25 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
NZ Broadcast TV is part on VHF and part on UHF.
yes
As far as i'm aware TVs made for the UK market are UHF only
No
As others have said before on otehr threads most modern TVs for the UK (often for the European) market are able to recieve both UHF and VHF "channels" - our Toshiba does, as we have only a VHF aerial, receive VHF signals and in the UK our signals were on the "UHF channels". As far as sound goes that is often the stumbling block and people have struggled with it.
Best thing to do is to look in the manual for your TV, it will tell you there what formats of PAL you can receive and if it is PAL-G and/or PAL-B then you should be OK. PAL-I is the UK flavour of PAL, BTW.
If you have no manual then go into the manual tuning menu, or similar, and you may well be able to change the broadcast type there.
But bring the TV anyway. You can buy a generic satellite receiver on TradeMe for $60-70 and (assuming you have a dish on your house) you can get Freeview.
Feed this into the AUX input on your UK TV and away you go.
Alternately, as P18PPS suggested, buy the cheapest VHS recorder you can find and use that to feed your TV.
Yes, or you could go for high-def terrestrial with a box and UHF aerial (a long and narrow one that gets you “Prime” not low and wide that will only get you TV1, 2, TV3. C4 and Maori, plus odd other if you are lucky) – those boxes are pricey ($500) but the high-def on a decent panel in a good signal area will be very good. Also Dick Smith will take your Freeview decoder back within a week if you find it doesn't work - I've done that with stuff before.
Good luck, and long live the CRT - our picture is fabulous on DVD and if the weather is OK then the TV is good too

Last edited by lardyl; Jul 23rd 2008 at 10:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.