Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RE: Gang rape in Wellington

RE: Gang rape in Wellington

Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:32 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gang rape in Wellington

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Back to the original post, I really can't see what purpose is served by selectively picking nasty stories from a country's media and posting them here. We all know crime happens everywhere, and if people want to find out about the news in a country they can look at the website of the Herald, or Dominion Post, etc. Then they'll get a balanced picture, not just the gang rapes, high phone charges or whatever else the scare of the day is. OK, here's one:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...29/niran29.xml

There, per capita, as many UKers have been abducted by the Iranian Republican Guard as NZers have been gang-raped in Wellington this month. Does that mean if you live in the UK you're going to be abducted by Iranians? Should potential migrants to UK be worried about abduction by foreign powers? Should potential migrants cross NZ off their list because they're worried about being gang-raped.
I would suggest "no" is the sensible answer to all of the above.
Ahem, are we comparing a young girl walking down the street to people sailing British Naval vessels? Usually people in the military are trained for combat and self-protection.

Why are you so opposed to the crime topic but not people saying that they don’t like NZ because of the sausages here?

Your post just doesn’t make sense
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:32 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Campbells;4575840

In case you haven't noticed there are people that catually agree with my topics. You are of course intitled to your opinion which quite obviously includes me being racist. Of course becuase I lived in South Africa. Hmm, bit of generalising there mate [/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Campbells
I got this in my inbox yesterday ……….

A dark complexioned man finds a dusty old bottle in Soweto.
He dusts it off and a genie appears, offering him 3 wishes.
"E wanna de Maciedies" - Poof a big, black Merc appears.
"E wanna de beeg hows" - Poof a mansion appears.
"E wanna be white likka de baas - Poof he becomes white and Poof the car
and the house vanish.
"How Wa!!! Wezma cah ene ma hows!!??"
To which the genie replies - "You're a white man now, you must work for it!"
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436149

Like you said mate, entitled to my own opinion, but that sounds pretty racist to me.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:44 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436149

Like you said mate, entitled to my own opinion, but that sounds pretty racist to me.
Oh mate, it's sad. Read the post, I said i got this in my inbox and it was actually from a black radio jock over there who actually read it on air.

If you understood the news that was / is happening over there then you would understand that it was making fun of a recent court battle.

Easier for you just to label me racist.

Kaya FM for your info.

Mate, you are just so determined to try and prove your point here that it is actually sad. You seem to actually taken whatever personal and I wouldn’t get too hung up on stuff on a chat forum.

I mean, you could be Robert Mugabe for all we know
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem, are we comparing a young girl walking down the street to people sailing British Naval vessels? Usually people in the military are trained for combat and self-protection.
No, try reading my post again. I was just pointing out the irrelevance and stupidity of quoting random, scary headlines in fora such as this. If people want to read the news, they can get a balanced view of it from the media website. They don't need scaremongers and whingers scouring the press and quoting every negative headline they can find.

Why are you so opposed to the crime topic but not people saying that they don’t like NZ because of the sausages here?

Your post just doesn’t make sense
Now you've got me confused. I'm not "so opposed" to a crime topic nor am I unopposed to those who whinge about the sausages instead of buying decent food.

And, why is it that as soon as someone disagrees with you, you say their post doesn't make sense?

Have you ever, in your life, said "Sorry, I was wrong about that?"

Have you ever seen Harry Enfield's "self-righteous brothers" sketches?
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:14 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Batty, so sorry to hear you've been on the receiving end of any violence, but your "fact" about the rule of thumb intrigued me. It's worth having a look here:
http://www.debunker.com/texts/ruleofthumb.html
I do wish people would check their facts before quoting them here - especially posters whose writing is usually so well informed and balanced.
I did look into it first and as I was at work I've just done another quick google and

" Up to the end of the 19th century, the law supported the right of men to control their wives by force. When the law intervened it was to restrain violence but not to prevent it.

In 1772 Judge Butler held that assaults on wives were legal provided that husbands used a stick no thicker than a thumb. This was called 'The Rule of Thumb'. "

Ok - I've just done another search about the 'myth' and there does seem to be a case against it - I wasn't actually looking for the Rule of Thumb - I was looking for when beating your wife as a right was abolished in the UK and thought that was interesting.

Last edited by Batty; Mar 29th 2007 at 8:23 am.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:10 am
Account Closed

eileen35 is an unknown quantity at this point

So it's nae just a Glasga kiss ?

Where in NZ you heading ?

Lots of construction going on in Auckland. You got PR?

Cheers
hi there,
no pr,just going as tourists. have done quite lot looking into it,and have heard theres loads construction work going all over.
we are going to the south island.
if it dont work out there,then we will go to the north.
going to give it a good go in n.z. anyway,if its not for us ,well at least we can say we tried.
cheers
eileen
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:22 am
Banned

Now you've got me confused.

Let's just leave it at that.

Let's not try to prove you are right or I am wrong. It is your opinion and my opinion - both are right for each of us. Anything beyond that is confusing

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 29th 2007 at 9:25 am.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by eileen35
hi there,
no pr,just going as tourists. have done quite lot looking into it,and have heard theres loads construction work going all over.
we are going to the south island.
if it dont work out there,then we will go to the north.
going to give it a good go in n.z. anyway,if its not for us ,well at least we can say we tried.
cheers
eileen
Good on ya & good luck