Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rangiora - Broadband Speeds

Rangiora - Broadband Speeds

Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough
Default Rangiora - Broadband Speeds

Hi,

I'm looking at emigrating to NZ and I'm aiming for Rangiora. Can anyone give me any idea what max broadband speeds I can expect (upload and download if poss) in Rangiora? I know it depends on distance from the exchange and all that, but any rough ideas, or results from www.speedtest.net would be greatly appreciated.

Ta. in advance.

Don
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rangiora - Broadband Speeds

Ah well, looks like Rangiora is connected using yogurt pots and taught wet string?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I think we have a series of posts on this. Try a search on internet speed. Or ask Woodlea if he is still on the message board here. We exchanged some posts a little while ago and he was able to watch streaming video from his place in NW Rangiora.

You have to keep in mind that we are on ASDL here in NZ. There are not fiber optic networks that I know of available to residential customers in Canterbury.

We are moving to Rangiora in 49 more days.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
I think we have a series of posts on this. Try a search on internet speed. Or ask Woodlea if he is still on the message board here. We exchanged some posts a little while ago and he was able to watch streaming video from his place in NW Rangiora.

You have to keep in mind that we are on ASDL here in NZ. There are not fiber optic networks that I know of available to residential customers in Canterbury.

ok. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ

You're right in saying that along with most of the UK, the most common broadband system in NZ is ADSL. I currently get around 5Mbps down and 600k uplink. Orcon are just about to unbundle the local loop in parts of Auckland and trials have shown download speeds of up to 18Mbps.

However, you should be aware that telstraclear (.co.nz) have a cable network in Wellington, Kapiti and Christchurch that gives broadband better than current ADSL.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:35 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Have no idea of broadband speeds or technical stuff. We've been on Telstraclear broadband in Rangiora for 7 months now and have no problems whatsoever with downloading, streaming videos etc. All seems to work ok.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I've set up slingshite broadband for my new house in south JAFAland. I'm currently getting 780kbps download and 130kbps up. That is paying $40 per month for their fastest. So far no response on my email enquiry:curse:
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

To save you searching Donny

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...21#post5442821

I've just run another test and got

Download Speed: 3904 kbps (488 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 132 kbps (16.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

So my download has improved and my upload has got worse, but not bad for Hicksville!!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

t

Last edited by CAN2NZ; Jan 18th 2008 at 4:04 am. Reason: Changed my mind
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all!