Quotes about NZ

Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quotes about NZ

I was sent these in an email recently...

"A country of inveterate, backwoods, thick-headed, egotistic philistines" ....... Vladimir Ilyich Lenin 1909

"I believe we were all glad to leave New Zealand. It is not a pleasant place. Amongst the natives there is absent that charming simplicity .... and the greater part of the English are the very refuse of society." ....... Charles Darwin 1860

"If it would not look too much like showing off, I would tell the reader where New Zealand is." ....... Mark Twain 1897

"The first european to find NZ was a Dutch sea-captain who was looking for something else ... It takes its name from a province of Holland to which it does not bear the remotest likeness, and is usually regarded as the antipodes of England, but is not. Taken possession of by an English navigator, whose action was afterwards reversed by his country's rulers, it was only annexed by the English Government which did not want it, to keep it from the French who did."....... William Pember Reeves 1898

When George Bernard Shaw visited New Zealand a reporter asked him his impression of the place and, after a pause, Shaw is said to have replied: "Altogether too many sheep" ....... George Bernard Shaw 1934

"Terrible tragedy of the south seas. Three million people trapped alive." ....... Thomas Jefferson Scott

When asked his opinion of New Zealand: "I find it hard to say, because when I was there it seemed to be shut." ....... Sir Clement Freud 1978

"New Zealand was colonised initially by those Australians who had the initiative to escape." ....... Robert Muldoon 1981

"If you wish to kill yourself but lack the courage to, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick."...... John Cleese 2005

"The United States invented the space shuttle, the atomic bomb and Disneyland. We have 35 times more land than New Zealand, 80 times the population, 144 times the gross national product and 220 times as many people in jail.
Many of our big cities have more kilometres of freeway than all of New Zealand, our 10 biggest metropolises each have more people than all of New Zealand, and metropolitan Detroit has more cars on the road than all of New Zealand.
So how come a superpower of 270 million got routed in the America's Cup, the world's most technically oriented yacht race, by a country of 3.5 million that outproduces us only in sheep manure?" ....... Eric Sharp 1995

“I got to dress up in funny clothes and run around New Zealand with a bow and arrow for 18 months, how bad could that be?”....... Orlando Bloom

“Anyone desperate enough for suicide...should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.”....... Richard Bach

“New Zealand is a country of thirty thousand million sheep, three million of whom think they are human.”...... Barry Humphries
Old Apr 26th 2008, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quotes about NZ

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I was sent these in an email recently...

"A country of inveterate, backwoods, thick-headed, egotistic philistines" ....... Vladimir Ilyich Lenin 1909

"I believe we were all glad to leave New Zealand. It is not a pleasant place. Amongst the natives there is absent that charming simplicity .... and the greater part of the English are the very refuse of society." ....... Charles Darwin 1860

"If it would not look too much like showing off, I would tell the reader where New Zealand is." ....... Mark Twain 1897

"The first european to find NZ was a Dutch sea-captain who was looking for something else ... It takes its name from a province of Holland to which it does not bear the remotest likeness, and is usually regarded as the antipodes of England, but is not. Taken possession of by an English navigator, whose action was afterwards reversed by his country's rulers, it was only annexed by the English Government which did not want it, to keep it from the French who did."....... William Pember Reeves 1898

When George Bernard Shaw visited New Zealand a reporter asked him his impression of the place and, after a pause, Shaw is said to have replied: "Altogether too many sheep" ....... George Bernard Shaw 1934

"Terrible tragedy of the south seas. Three million people trapped alive." ....... Thomas Jefferson Scott

When asked his opinion of New Zealand: "I find it hard to say, because when I was there it seemed to be shut." ....... Sir Clement Freud 1978

"New Zealand was colonised initially by those Australians who had the initiative to escape." ....... Robert Muldoon 1981

"If you wish to kill yourself but lack the courage to, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick."...... John Cleese 2005

"The United States invented the space shuttle, the atomic bomb and Disneyland. We have 35 times more land than New Zealand, 80 times the population, 144 times the gross national product and 220 times as many people in jail.
Many of our big cities have more kilometres of freeway than all of New Zealand, our 10 biggest metropolises each have more people than all of New Zealand, and metropolitan Detroit has more cars on the road than all of New Zealand.
So how come a superpower of 270 million got routed in the America's Cup, the world's most technically oriented yacht race, by a country of 3.5 million that outproduces us only in sheep manure?" ....... Eric Sharp 1995

“I got to dress up in funny clothes and run around New Zealand with a bow and arrow for 18 months, how bad could that be?”....... Orlando Bloom

“Anyone desperate enough for suicide...should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.”....... Richard Bach

“New Zealand is a country of thirty thousand million sheep, three million of whom think they are human.”...... Barry Humphries

New Zealand has not improved then!!

For most I think you either love it or hate it. More seem to be hating it these days!!!

I came to get away from people. I am getting my wish!! Soon there will be just us.

That will do nicely.

Very funny post..cheers!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

“Here’s a good one. Helen Clark, former prime minister of New Zealand: her opponents have observed that in the event of a nuclear war, the two things that will emerge from the rubble are the cockroaches and Helen Clark." Hilary Clinton last week.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

“God bless America. God save the Queen. God defend New Zealand and thank Christ for Australia.” Former Kiwi Russell Crowe

New Zealand is not a small country but a large village. (Peter Jackson)

I've never been to New Zealand before. But one of my role models, Xena, the warrior princess, comes from there. (Madeleine Albright)

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 26th 2008 at 7:46 am.