Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

quick help needed, importing a motorbike

quick help needed, importing a motorbike

Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default quick help needed, importing a motorbike

Need a quick reply if anyone can help.
We're planning on moving over to nz in the next few months and i'm bringing a bike with me.
I've got an offer to change my bike in the next few days, however, someone mentioned that if
i've had a bike for less than 6 months when its imported to nz i would have to pay extra import duty on it.
something to do with importing for profit (buying and selling on when i got there)
does anyone know if this it true and if so what would the extra duty be?
cheers
col
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future
Default Re: quick help needed, importing a motorbike

Yes.
If you have owned it less than 12 months you will have not be entitled to the concession entry side if you are coming in on PR.(when no customs charge apply)
But also if you sell it within 2 years you have to pay GST.

Otherwise you will have to pay GST on the value - the longer you have owned it the more depreciation that is factored into the cost.

see:
http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...re+Payable.htm

try www.kiwibiker.co.nz for loads of great help and info - they are a very friendly bunch!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future
Default Re: quick help needed, importing a motorbike

sorry for no concession is GST on purchase value and import costs (shipping) and import insurance costs!!! It can get expensive!!!