Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Streets a total tip......

Streets a total tip......

Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Streets a total tip......

In the last few days our street has turned into what looks like the local rubbish tip as every house seems to have a pile of old household crap outside on the verge. Some of the piles are huge and its not just our street its the whole area.....

We've noticed that people, especially on the weekend seem to drive around the area stopping at various piles of said crap to extract what they want and pick through the rest. The are even vans doing the rounds collecting things from various piles of other peoples rubbish.

Is this some kind of spring clean ritual or something, like a cheap version of a car boot sale......just throw it all on the side of the road?

I hope that someone collects all the piles of rubbish eventually as at the moment a lovely looking street has turned into something reminding me of a gypsy camp.......
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streets a total tip......

You do know that its time for the inorganic waste collection dont you??

You shouldve had a flyer in your letterbox about it, it usually comes a couple of weeks before they come to collect it all, and it will tell you when you can start putting out your waste. Its an excellent idea and gets rid of peoples old crap so they dont go and dump it down a quiet country lane.

I wondered what was going on the first time I saw it.... it happens every few months, you will get to know when its going to happen.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SarahB
You do know that its time for the inorganic waste collection dont you??

You shouldve had a flyer in your letterbox about it, it usually comes a couple of weeks before they come to collect it all, and it will tell you when you can start putting out your waste. Its an excellent idea and gets rid of peoples old crap so they dont go and dump it down a quiet country lane.

I wondered what was going on the first time I saw it.... it happens every few months, you will get to know when its going to happen.
hi jacky g here....we've been wondering the same thing...can't believe the amount of rubbish about the streets.....

and cannot believe the crap that people are stopping to pick up...there is actual vans just going around and around raking through the scrap...

hope its not going to be windy,it doesn't bare thinking about what the place will look like then.....hope that street will be cleaned up for us moving up there brian....not moving up to steptoes yard
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:35 am
Just Joined

crosskaos is a jewel in the roughcrosskaos is a jewel in the roughcrosskaos is a jewel in the roughcrosskaos is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We found it hard to believe too. The amount of absolutely rubbish that is coming out of people's homes is untrue. There doesn't appear to be anything worth taking.

The council request that residents don't put the rubbish/household waste out until a specified date in order to prevent it getting totally out of control. Which people take no notice of at all. But, I must say though the council do a great job at cleaning it all up at the end. Come Monday morning it will all be gone!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH
We've noticed that people, especially on the weekend seem to drive around the area stopping at various piles of said crap to extract what they want and pick through the rest. The are even vans doing the rounds collecting things from various piles of other peoples rubbish.
if you feel that you have been beaten to the prize just log on to "trade me"
and bid for it

Thats how most kiwi's support there income
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
and bid for it

...Ive made 150 bucks this week on Trademe.... some kiddies outgrown clothes and a double pushchair thingy.... pretty pleased with that! Any really good quality clothes that the kids have outgrown I put on there and all the rest goes up to the charity boxes in Whitford.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
and bid for it

hehe
got some half-decent stuff about 6 months ago - including a serviceable bike for the eldest.....
its all part of the Kiwi ingenuity/make do and mend thing - people leave out wood, etc for free.
also a side-effect of having to pay to put your rubbish and recycling into the tip.........what a great green land we live in..........
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Next door neighbour put stacks of old batteries out on the grass verge.... asked him why he was doing that and he said..... oh somebody will just take them.... sure enough they went that day. If people dont want something they just put it outside their house with a sigh saying FREE and it just goes.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:27 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Next door neighbour put stacks of old batteries out on the grass verge.... asked him why he was doing that and he said..... oh somebody will just take them.... sure enough they went that day. If people dont want something they just put it outside their house with a sigh saying FREE and it just goes.
the "signs" are almost as amusing as the "free" stuff I find......
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
the "signs" are almost as amusing as the "free" stuff I find......
...so its you who comes around and takes it away eh??

You can also get free horses here too if you look on Trademe.... always several on there for free.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:33 am
you dewty owld maan!

/resists the urge to mention smoked or unsmoked/
ooppss.....shouldn't think out loud......

joking sarah - I know you love horses.......
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
/resists the urge to mention smoked or unsmoked/
ooppss.....shouldn't think out loud......

joking sarah - I know you love horses.......

Make a good BBQ eh? Want BBQ sauce on that?.... they seem to put it on everything else!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:51 am
you dewty owld maan!

Make a good BBQ eh? Want BBQ sauce on that?.... they seem to put it on everything else!
hey I could get the "smoking" kit out that I couldnt resist buying from the Warehouse the other day - I must confess that I once ate smoked horse meat, brought over from Holland to UK and eaten by us students in a sad luncheon thingie - made a change from "pulverised pig" (pate), mouldy cheeze (stilton) or boring cheese (cheddar).
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:52 am
you dewty owld maan!

I'd rather have the Watties - Bit on the Side (apricot or seet chillie) - yum.... BTW, anyone got any decent Mango chutney over here?? Miss Sharwoods.......
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:55 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

So...anybody reading this who is still in the UK.

Yes..we scavenge on the streets for whatever scraps we can find and then try and sell them on the crappiest looking e-bay rip-off ever in order to make ends meet.

Come and join us!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.